I think I have food poisoning

I'm also currently considering doing something similar with my mom. She wants to stay at home - HER home. We've been helping her, but there is only so much you can do, so I hire others to help where I can't, or don't want to. I've realized I can hire people to come do just about whatever we need (baths, toenail cutting, medication management, etc) for less than she'd pay if she went into most facilities around here. So far.

So that has me thinking, she has more bedrooms, can get lonely, and there have to be others with similar needs that could stay in the other rooms, and they could all share costs. This isn't too different from some things I've found around here, but the difference would be cost, as they own it and there is no middle profit maker. Places I've looked at ran about 4200/mo. per bed. 4 additional people that could get along with her would be the stickler, lol.

Have you thought about what type of situation you would want when the time comes?

I got the link you had sent, but forgot and just now got around to reading it. I usually key in on things that are also pie in the sky, like the http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/11/world/europe/wus-holland-dementia-village/, but that is specific to demensia, but had lot of ideas I liked. And too large scale to be practical.

It just seems like we spend our whole live working towards whatever, bypassing so much that we will do when we finally have time - money - ability or whatever, then we are old.

I was visiting some facilities with my mom (who then decided "none of the above" lol) and one of them has stuff that can keep people mentally stimulated and physically healthy. They have an olympic sized pool and exercise center, shops with full woodworking equipment (I'd jump to 80yo right this minute for that) their own culture centers, etc. But it's also the size of a small town, and is run by a large business. All this stuff is expensive, so having someone making profit on it in the middle just makes it exorbitant. That place not only charges the huge monthly fees, but you also need to sign over your home when you move there. Wow. It's so expensive to get in there, that not surprisingly most of the people there are quite wealthy with a disproportionate amount of retired drs living there.

The few good things I see are beyond the reach of most of us, and not the kind of places medicare will pay for. The kind of places medicare will pay for depress the hell out of me.

Jumping in and just saying a. glad the bug left your guts to go infect someone else Jackie, and Bearmom- following this thread.. I'm 42, Todd's 46.. both good health for now, but childfree by choice (not that kids are guaranteed caretakers..) and we have been learning through the process my parents are in now.. for example we always wanted a 2 story house on a couple acres right outside the city.. yep, no. Next house (since when we plant ourselves, we don't up & move, even when we should) is going to be a nice ranch.. limited stairs. Outbuildings yes (he needs workshops to get greasy & make a lot of noise in, and not burn down).. and nope on the living ANYPLACE close to rural. My folks moved to a beautiful wooded 4.5 acre lot in rural Columbus IN.. and now they are isolated. There's no easy access to anything. I almost don't want a lawn at this point and have eyed up our friends condo and thought, yeah.. that would work. No plowing, no mowing..

Latest posts

Back