I think I have come to the realization that I need a revision

Good Lord Scott I'm just so sorry to hear of your trevails and that of your son. My wife and I will pray for you this morning!! As you know, I seem to be on a similar path to you in that I keep losing weight when I don't want to. Lost another couple lbs and am trying hard to fight it using Creon. I'm only 14 months out or so, and in most ways my surgery has to be viewed as a success, but I gotta admit I have had thoughts of just reversing the whole damn thing. I won't take such a drastic step, of course, but I do wonder if I should have just gotten the sleeve. The constant battle to maintain vitamin/mineral levels, the bowel issues...it's a lot to deal with. But I did weigh 412 lbs 14 months ago, and I weigh 181 now, so that's a significant life improvement. I also realize that it's common for absorption to improve after 24 months, as the body becomes more adept at getting around the malabsorbtive road block. But the weight loss has to stop. I also can't seem to keep my iron levels up without skyrocketing my Ferritin level to 8-10 x's the normal persons. I will be patient and keep watching, like you did, but I guess I can say I'm wondering what my future holds. My CC is 110 and it's not enough for my present needs. Should I have had it at 175 like I know some have? Is going to 150 going to be enough for your needs? It's only adding about 1 1/2 feet in length...what difference can that really make? I dunno...just rambling. But I DO know I'm pulling for you and your son. You deserve a break! Hope it comes soon.
:fin:

Thank you all for the support and well wishes.

Cameron was at the ER again last night with weird symptoms including a headache that has persisted since Sunday and gotten 4 fold worse as well as a low heart rate... That is really strange as he is always tachycardic (above 100 bpm) not bradycardic (below 50bpm). In any case they did a CT and standard blood work and it came back clean.. They also drew for keppra levels but that is a send out so not sure when it will be back. They also helped the headache so he was sent home.

This morning he sees an epileptic neurologist at INI in Peoria (only level 4 center in Illinois outside of Chicago) so hopefully that team can figure out why this flare up and resolve it.

Will thank you

My advice to you is to just wait. Your absorption will pick up and at the 24 month post OP time it will be time to review.

Should you have vsg only... My biased opinion is hell no. You needed the ds and it will work out in the end.

Regarding me, I don't regret the DS decision at all and am ecstatic that I did it. It is very possible that I won't have to be lengthened and if I do, 50% is what the science says to do. That is from Dr K's mouth. I have no doubt 150 would be plenty and would actually worry maybe too much.

Hang in there and don't panic.

Regarding ferretin are you supplementing iron (I don't)? I would suggest going to a hematologist.

Cameron was at the ER again last night with weird symptoms including a headache that has persisted since Sunday and gotten 4 fold worse as well as a low heart rate... That is really strange as he is always tachycardic (above 100 bpm) not bradycardic (below 50bpm). In any case they did a CT and standard blood work and it came back clean.. They also drew for keppra levels but that is a send out so not sure when it will be back. They also helped the headache so he was sent home.

This morning he sees an epileptic neurologist at INI in Peoria (only level 4 center in Illinois outside of Chicago) so hopefully that team can figure out why this flare up and resolve it.
Oh boy, sending up positive vibes for him!

Scott, who did you and Cameron piss off so badly...it's like y'all can NOT catch a break. Thinking of y'all.

@Will2014 not to hijack Scott's thread, but I wanted to add to his encouragement to you to hang in there awhile longer and not be discouraged. The problems you are having often improve with time and appropriate treatment. You may need to be on Creon for months, but hopefully you will stabilize. And sometimes a short course of Flagyl helps with the diarrhea if it is caused by bacterial overgrowth.
I can understand you are having some regrets right now and wondering if maybe the sleeve alone would have been a better choice. But I would ask you to consider an alternative scenario in which you had had a sleeve, never lost enough weight or lost and then regained, and would be saying to yourself, if only I had had the full DS when I had the chance! I think you made the best possible decision that you could, that you were honest with yourself about your situation and what you needed to fix your morbid obesity permanently, and that time is going to improve things. If not, you may find yourself in the same situation as Scott and seriously considering revision to lengthen your common channel, but I still think that's a better situation than having an operation, experiencing failure, and needing a major revision.

Wow Scott, I just logged in after being away for a while and see you have had your hands full. I'll keep you and Cameron and your awesome supportive wife in my thoughts.

I have nothing to add to the great advice you've already gotten, other than to suggest a bidet if you don't already use one to help soothe, and possibly allow the fissure to heal. I occasionally got them and a combination of the extra bile in my DS system, and a med I take for kidney stones made my poop so acid, that if it wasn't partly the cause, it at least aggravated the hell out the fissure and delayed healing.

I have just had zero butt discomfort since I started using a bidet, and think everyone - even those with no extra issues - should be using them. I prefer a few bells and whistles, but basic cool water ones start at around $30.

Will thank you

My advice to you is to just wait. Your absorption will pick up and at the 24 month post OP time it will be time to review.

Should you have vsg only... My biased opinion is hell no. You needed the ds and it will work out in the end.

Regarding me, I don't regret the DS decision at all and am ecstatic that I did it. It is very possible that I won't have to be lengthened and if I do, 50% is what the science says to do. That is from Dr K's mouth. I have no doubt 150 would be plenty and would actually worry maybe too much.

Hang in there and don't panic.

Regarding ferretin are you supplementing iron (I don't)? I would suggest going to a hematologist.
Thanks Scott and I agree. I'll not be running off to any surgeons anytime soon I'll tell you. I also agree with you and Laura that I probably did make the right decision, but I just need to stabilize over time and treat issues as they arise. My 412 lb self wasn' t long for this planet anyhoo , and to be sitting here at an officially "healthy normal" weight is awesome for me. Just gotta keep fighting and not let myself drift into negativity! We are ALL fighters here, or we'd have just given up like the rest of the morbidly obese community out there. Thanks for the continued support and sharing of info! Really means a lot. And Scott...I know you have damn good reason to doubt God's goodness and intentions towards you and your son. Been through more than anyone should have to. But I know God is NOT targeting you my friend-it's not His style. He loves you and your son very much and wants only good things for you. But we live in decrepit bodies while walking this Earth, ones with genetic predispositions, vulnerable to infectious critters, and at risk for major problems. Unfortunately....shit happens man! But I believe that our little journey here for 75,85,100 yrs is just a tiny sliver of our TRUE existence going forward over eternity. We're in it for the long haul hombre!! And God will have plenty of time to make up for any of the sufferings we went through in our lives here. I really believe that. Stay strong brutha!!
:goldangel:

To both Scott and Will. I always love your posts guys and your honesty. I wont get in to the whole "God" thing, and do NOT want to start any dumb debates, other than to say that I have personally experienced the spirit world many, many times, for years when I was a child and have proof of it and that gives me a Knowledge, (not a belief) that there are many realms of existence we can’t even begin to understand or fathom, and I will just leave it at that ;).

I must admit though, regarding the continued WL….it seems this to be more prevalent in the guys on here and I would be LYING if I said I wasn’t at least a little bit worried that this will happen to me. Not to hijack this thread, but I was going to post some updates of my journey anyway (been a while), and will expound more in that.

@DSRIGGS....Scott…..WTF? am I remembering your past posts correctly when you said you are eating 4K calories a day!!! WTF man! That’s crazy! How about you @Will2014.....Will, I remember you saying a while back that you still couldn’t eat all that much, is that still true??

To both Scott and Will. I always love your posts guys and your honesty. I wont get in to the whole "God" thing, and do NOT want to start any dumb debates, other than to say that I have personally experienced the spirit world many, many times, for years when I was a child and have proof of it and that gives me a Knowledge, (not a belief) that there are many realms of existence we can’t even begin to understand or fathom, and I will just leave it at that ;).

I must admit though, regarding the continued WL….it seems this to be more prevalent in the guys on here and I would be LYING if I said I wasn’t at least a little bit worried that this will happen to me. Not to hijack this thread, but I was going to post some updates of my journey anyway (been a while), and will expound more in that.

@DSRIGGS....Scott…..WTF? am I remembering your past posts correctly when you said you are eating 4K calories a day!!! WTF man! That’s crazy! How about you @Will2014.....Will, I remember you saying a while back that you still couldn’t eat all that much, is that still true??
Yes I eat around 4,000 calories a day.

Breakfast 1
4 jumbo eggs
1/3 cup shredded cheese in eggs
1 piece oatnut toast W almond butter & jelly

Breakfast 2
2 Mc Ds sausage burtitos

Sometimes another snack

Lunch
Meat, veggies cottage cheese

Snack
Cashews and beef jerky
Protein bar

Dinner
Meat(big chicken breast, 10 oz steak, chop, 10 or so wings, or similar) , veggies, soup and potatoe or something

Nighttime snack
Bowl of cereal with half and half

So haven't really counted the calories lately but I eat a lot

holy crap! that is unbelievable. good for you for keeping up with your needs--seems like a lot of work to get that many calories in every day.

holy crap! that is unbelievable. good for you for keeping up with your needs--seems like a lot of work to get that many calories in every day.
Honestly it is no work at all. In the beginning eating was tough, but for me the further out I got from surgery the eating became very easy. Not long after I eat I am hungry. Pretty sure my body knows I need the nutrition.

Wow Scott, I just logged in after being away for a while and see you have had your hands full. I'll keep you and Cameron and your awesome supportive wife in my thoughts.

I have nothing to add to the great advice you've already gotten, other than to suggest a bidet if you don't already use one to help soothe, and possibly allow the fissure to heal. I occasionally got them and a combination of the extra bile in my DS system, and a med I take for kidney stones made my poop so acid, that if it wasn't partly the cause, it at least aggravated the hell out the fissure and delayed healing.

I have just had zero butt discomfort since I started using a bidet, and think everyone - even those with no extra issues - should be using them. I prefer a few bells and whistles, but basic cool water ones start at around $30.
Hi hon!

BTW, my wife is really an incredibly strong lady who has put up with wayyyyyyyyy tooooooo much shit from Cameron and me. Thanks for your compliment to her....she deserves it.

I am pretty sure surgery on the ole butt is going to have to happen for me, but I too get the acidic poop even with the Welchol and it scares me to have it done before I am off the Creon and welchol. As you say, who knows if it can cause a fissure but I know it certainly aggravates the situation.

Okay on the bidet....I have been in hotels with bidets and I have to admit, I don't get them. How does it clean the poop off effectively without some soap? Not to be gross but mine can be pasty sometimes and I can't imagine plain old water cleaning it well enough.

Thanks

Hi hon!

BTW, my wife is really an incredibly strong lady who has put up with wayyyyyyyyy tooooooo much shit from Cameron and me. Thanks for your compliment to her....she deserves it.

I am pretty sure surgery on the ole butt is going to have to happen for me, but I too get the acidic poop even with the Welchol and it scares me to have it done before I am off the Creon and welchol. As you say, who knows if it can cause a fissure but I know it certainly aggravates the situation.

Okay on the bidet....I have been in hotels with bidets and I have to admit, I don't get them. How does it clean the poop off effectively without some soap? Not to be gross but mine can be pasty sometimes and I can't imagine plain old water cleaning it well enough.

Thanks
The bidets I have used in hotels and Europe were like a little basin you sat over, and filled like a sink, so you'd have to use a hand to actually wash the nether bits.

The ones I've seen sold in the US and used here (bought several different ones from Costco) fit onto the existing toilet rather than being a stand alone fixture, and in my opinion are so much better. They replace the seat, all water goes into the toilet so no little basin to empty back out. they have a nozzle that comes out in the back preferably with warm water, which can oscillate, and be adjusted for pressure. It's a hands free operation for me, and I don't usually need soap, but have used it on occasion. It was easily washed off with the sprayer. I was worried my poop was too sticky or soft (sorry if TMI) and used to wipe with TP afterward, just to make sure the job was done. Squeaky clean, every single time. I do still usually use TP but actually just to dry, because the heated air drying feature takes too long.

Is it too much to say that these butt washers are life changing? Because it's been life changing.

Latest posts

Back