I know I can't be the only one...

I will do my best to answer all questions from above but please forgive me if I miss something. My brain is fried with my incredibly crazy work load right now.

I'm 100% positive I had a true DS. Boyce and I discussed this at length (before and after) and I have a copy of my surgical report. I had severe diabetes that was quickly ramping back up to insulin dependence again. I had lost 130 pounds on my own and was,able to bring the triglycerides,hbp,inflammation and other issues down along with eliminating the metformin and mega doses of 3 injectables that included 2 types of insulin. These thing were rearing their heads again even though I had kept all but about 30 pounds off for about 5 years. I'm just getting older. It sucks, but this disease is in my genetics and killed my Mother at 62. I was desperate.

Yes, ALL the co-morbidity issues are gone. I am ecstatic and to be honest, I went inot this extreme process to do just that! I wasn't focused as much on the weight except to have the possibility of a 'cure' for the diabetes. Boyce agreed and urged me strongly to get the DS. But I have since begun an unhealthy focus on the scale. Not a new thing for many of us.
He did say that since I was a lightweight going in, I may have different results but I would be healthy if I followed the plan. But I ,of course, didn't think it would happen to me.
I have done alot of thinking since posting the update and have realized there are quite a few things I have in my control but I DO NEED the help of a professional nutritionist who is NOT in his office. I believe my issues are related to the fact that I was already on a Ketogenic/Extremely low carb lifestyle before many years before my surgery, hence my previous weight loss. My body didn't get the huge shock of losing its SAD and carb heavy lifestyle. We all know ditching carbs/sugar= great weight loss!! So, I think I need some help in moving forward because my body is pretty much fat adapted and very efficient at the glucogenesis process already. I've probably made my mistakes in thinking I could shock/bait&switch my body with the increase in carbs since surgery. Over thinking at its worst.
The office wants my protein intake at the 180 ish mark and I'm ok with that. My carbs do NEED TO COME DOWN and I have only slightly lowered them to about 90-100. This,as many of you know, is a slippery slope and ive gotten cauggt on the slippery part for sure!! I've got lots to learn and I'm in no way accepting this as where I will end. I also need to step up and get my ass moving again. I run short of time in a 24hr day and the first thing that slips is exercise. I need to accept the responsibility in all of this.
So, I will find a NUT that is educated in bariatric issues but also longterm Ketogenic mechanisms and metabolic changes. I will start eating smarter for my body. Moving more and I guess the important one of practicing what I preach and just relax. This is a marathon not a sprint and I have already won in so many respects. Unlike my Mother, Diabetes will NOT take my legs,eyes,kidneys and heart before stealing my life! So...that is a win!!

I have had some concerning bloodwork and will fiND more out on this next round before making any major changes. I was put on iron and my B's are (were) all majorly off the charts. This will be 3 months between checking on these levels and I will know more very soon.
I really think where I am is just worn out and exhausted from the last 5 years of busting my ass and I might have been guilty of thinking in some way that this path would be a bit easier. Faulty thinking on my part. And that us in no way me saying I thought this would be easy....I think I just thought I had all the fight in me I would need since I had scratched and clawed and climbed my way almost out of obesity on my own. I think I'm just worn out in the fight. I can't give up now...I have much better tools and I refuse to let them go to waste.

Thank you all for being here. And being supportive. And being you.

So, I will find a NUT that is educated in bariatric issues but also longterm Ketogenic mechanisms and metabolic changes. I will start eating smarter for my body.
Good luck as I think only one or two exist in the entire US.

You actually need one educated in DS nutrition and they do not exist.

Honey with all due respect I think you might be working yourself up when your results aren't completely abnormal from what I have read in this thread. I admit I haven't read that closely and I am not going to read through the entire thread so if I am missing g something my apologies.. I am pretty sure @southernlady had a pretty long period of not much loss and took all of two years to lose her weight. It happens that way sometimes.

Are your labs bad? You mention carbs but is your A1C not in a good range? It is just my opinion but I think many in the DS community overemphasize carb restriction and it's benefit. Eating a bunch of junk isn't good but fiber rich vegetables are good for bowel health and have other benefits for our bodies. Our brain and body does need carbs. That doesn't change just because we have the DS. I am not saying eat a bunch.

Regarding protein I really don't understand this idea that you need 180 a day. Again just my opinion but at your weight 100-125 seems like a more appropriate number. Have you considered that you could be getting too much protein? Unused protein by the body turns into glucose and is stored as adipose fat.

Anyway I am not minimizing your frustration or saying it isn't real and justified. Best wishes. Hang in there and don't beat yourself up. You have made good progress and at 7 months out (right) you have another 17 months of the supposed weight loss honeymoon (I don't completely buy into that notion because the DS tool doesn't go away...I know a lady who didn't get to goal until about year 15 after the DS. She lost like another 20-25 pounds by adjusting her diet). Again, best wishes and I understand the frustration but try to step back and breath. Plenty of time for you to get to goal.

Not me. I was at normal BMI at 7 months but then stalled for 5. Then I lost some more. Have since gained most of that last bit back but still at normal BMI.
Sorry...I am confusing you with somebody else

Latest posts

Back