I Hate When I'm the Idiot! DS Diet

I can hardly believe what I did to myself last night! The camping trip we are on right now was a spur of the moment idea. My husband has clients in the area so he set up a couple of meetings and with less than 24 hours notice we are here camping for a long weekend and he has a meeting this morning and one tomorrow morning. Hence, yesterday was a busy day for me.

When I got up, I packed my clothes and toiletries and all of the dog's food, treats and toys. I had my usual protein shake for breakfast then ran to the store to get groceries for our trip. When I got home, I sorted the at home groceries from the going camping groceries and loaded the 5th wheel. While I was doing this, hubby came home from work early, to pack his stuff. We then left to go to Sportsman's Warehouse to obtain our fishing licenses (we are camped on the river). Then home again to hitch up the 5th wheel and leave for the about 3 1/2 hour drive to our camping paradise. I knew it would be a long time till dinner and I had had no time for lunch so I guzzled another protein shake. I didn't want to eat protein bars because I knew I would be eating carbs later, hello s'mores!

We pulled into our spot at about 7:15 and got set up then drove about 20 miles into Salmon for a nice steak dinner. I had a ribeye, a few French fries and a salad plus, a diet Pepsi. We got back to camp about 10:15. While hubby got a fire started, I washed my face and put on some warmer clothes to sit around the fire. I gathered all the s'more stuff plus a few cinnamon bears for each of us and headed outside. I ate three s'mores and about 4 cinnamon bears!

I usually only have two s'mores, tops, with no other sweets! We went to bed around 12:30 a.m. by 1:30 I was rudely awoken by gut wrenching cramps and a swollen distended belly. My entire abdomen was as hard as a rock. I was up till after 4:30 a.m. with gas and diarrhea. It was all I could do not to vomit from the cramping.

You can put money on the guarantee that I behave today!

On the positive side, this campsite is gorgeous! If I can, I will post a couple of pictures.

I can hardly believe what I did to myself last night! The camping trip we are on right now was a spur of the moment idea. My husband has clients in the area so he set up a couple of meetings and with less than 24 hours notice we are here camping for a long weekend and he has a meeting this morning and one tomorrow morning. Hence, yesterday was a busy day for me.

When I got up, I packed my clothes and toiletries and all of the dog's food, treats and toys. I had my usual protein shake for breakfast then ran to the store to get groceries for our trip. When I got home, I sorted the at home groceries from the going camping groceries and loaded the 5th wheel. While I was doing this, hubby came home from work early, to pack his stuff. We then left to go to Sportsman's Warehouse to obtain our fishing licenses (we are camped on the river). Then home again to hitch up the 5th wheel and leave for the about 3 1/2 hour drive to our camping paradise. I knew it would be a long time till dinner and I had had no time for lunch so I guzzled another protein shake. I didn't want to eat protein bars because I knew I would be eating carbs later, hello s'mores!

We pulled into our spot at about 7:15 and got set up then drove about 20 miles into Salmon for a nice steak dinner. I had a ribeye, a few French fries and a salad plus, a diet Pepsi. We got back to camp about 10:15. While hubby got a fire started, I washed my face and put on some warmer clothes to sit around the fire. I gathered all the s'more stuff plus a few cinnamon bears for each of us and headed outside. I ate three s'mores and about 4 cinnamon bears!

I usually only have two s'mores, tops, with no other sweets! We went to bed around 12:30 a.m. by 1:30 I was rudely awoken by gut wrenching cramps and a swollen distended belly. My entire abdomen was as hard as a rock. I was up till after 4:30 a.m. with gas and diarrhea. It was all I could do not to vomit from the cramping.

You can put money on the guarantee that I behave today!

On the positive side, this campsite is gorgeous! If I can, I will post a couple of pictures.
Bet you won't be looking longingly at those s'mores tonight!

@hilary1617 I eat at least 2 cups of small curd cottage cheese a day and ice cream occasionally with no problem. I can drink milk. I do this everyday with no problem. Could it still be the lactose in the candy bar still be the problem?

Oh I hope not @southernlady. It is not the cottage cheese I know. I am thinking 2 nights ago I ate a white chocolate kit kat bar. I would have thought if it was that it would have happened sooner. Bad bad me I'm so ashamed...!:nono: Chocolate usually doesn't bother me but that had flaky cookie in it and I usually never eat a whole candy bar. Most of the time if I want something sweet I add cinnamon and sugar to my cottage cheese instead of salt and pepper.

Wow I love all the emotions! I didn't know which one to pick.:clapping:This one is going to be a favorite!:seniormrebel:

OH MY GOD. Those white Kit Kats are the shizz. Every Halloween I buy the store out of stock on those. For my kids. Yeah, that's the story, for the kids.

@Barb1 , I developed lactose intolerance with DS. I can handle small amounts, but beyond a certain threshold, look out! The higher the fat content of a dairy product, the lower the lactose content.

I can handle ice cream, heavy cream, half and half, full fat yogurt, butter, and hard, aged cheeses. Non-fat / skim milk and low fat yogurt wreaks havoc on my system, especially skim milk in powdered form - this is a common additive to processed foods.

I've learned the hard way that anything made by Hershey's causes a big reaction - I don't know the quantity of lactose that they intentionally add - but it has to be a lot based on my body's response. YMMV.

Cottage cheese has a fairly low lactose content as does ice cream (especially the high end, high fat variety). Hard to say whether you are lactose intolerant or not and if you are, to what degree without using an elimination diet, or buy eating something with a lot of skim milk powder in it, and seeing what happens.

But, lactose intolerance is a fairly common post-bariatric surgery.

This link shows the lactose content of a variety of foods and says that most lactose intolerant people can tolerate up to 2%. I have no idea if that is true.: http://www.stevecarper.com/li/list_of_lactose_percentages.htm

for what it's worth, milk and ice cream make me sick but I have no issue with yogurt, cheese, cream cheese, cottage cheese.

Whole milk (only kind I like) and ice cream are issues for me still.

I can handle some ice cream once in awhile (good way to help clean me out) but not the drinking milk.

Tried soy, almond etc milks...yucky tasting to my tongue and to me, not REAL milk!

Latest posts

Back