I Don't Think I'm Crazy

k9ophile

Anyone thinking their life is private is seriously delusional. Oh, sure there are a probably a few secrets we all have, yet it amazes me how much is known about us.

We got an e-mail from Amazon pitching floor mats for *our* Toyota Camry. As far as I know neither one of us ever ordered anything from them for that car. This leaves me with mixed feelings: 1) It alarms me that Amazon *knew* about the Camry. 2) Why is it that they don't know we sold it two years ago?

Knowing that the intelligence gathered on us is inaccurate isn't as reassuring as I would like to think it is.

Along similar lines... When @southernlady posted on Facebook that she and hubby were now heading out full-time RV-ing, I started getting RV ads showing up on my Facebook. I didn't comment on her thread. I'm not even sure I clicked Like, but suddenly Facebook decided I might be interested in seeing ads for RVs. The stuff they are connecting us to....

Along similar lines... When @southernlady posted on Facebook that she and hubby were now heading out full-time RV-ing, I started getting RV ads showing up on my Facebook. I didn't comment on her thread. I'm not even sure I clicked Like, but suddenly Facebook decided I might be interested in seeing ads for RVs. The stuff they are connecting us to....
I didn't mean to do that.

I just saw a thing online that the goal of the "free" online tax prep sites is data collection. Your data.

I know many of the things I click on are for data gathering. I was trying to surprise DH about something and every time he was on the 'Net ads for that popped up. Fortunately he was not clued in and I did surprise him. Yet some of the things, really hit me out of left field. DH and I were talking about the Camry pitch when he told me he'd gotten one for a Corolla part a few months back and we got rid of that car at least 4 years ago. Data gathering is bad enough, but inaccurate data gathering is downright terrifying. I don't know of any central clearing house and what it would take to correct mistakes if I could.

I know many of the things I click on are for data gathering. I was trying to surprise DH about something and every time he was on the 'Net ads for that popped up. Fortunately he was not clued in and I did surprise him. Yet some of the things, really hit me out of left field. DH and I were talking about the Camry pitch when he told me he'd gotten one for a Corolla part a few months back and we got rid of that car at least 4 years ago. Data gathering is bad enough, but inaccurate data gathering is downright terrifying. I don't know of any central clearing house and what it would take to correct mistakes if I could.

Yeah...on some sites, my husband, daughter and I were correctly identified. But Angela was also identified. Unless I have a sister wife somewhere, Angela is a figment of some data collector's imagination.

I know you're talking internet data gathering, but in other inaccurate data gathering arenas I laugh every time junk mail comes to my house addressed to my ex-husband. Not only has he not lived here in 30 years, he's also been deceased for 18 years. Somebody paid good money for bad data showing him as a resident. LOL

I know you're talking internet data gathering, but in other inaccurate data gathering arenas I laugh every time junk mail comes to my house addressed to my ex-husband. Not only has he not lived here in 30 years, he's also been deceased for 18 years. Somebody paid good money for bad data showing him as a resident. LOL
My rant was about the 'Net, but certainly not limited to it. Your anecdote demonstrates part of the full extent of my paranoia. As far as shopping trails go, I've come to expect that. In snail-mail days, I could order something then get dozens of unsolicited catalogs, pleas for charitable donations, and even some who thought my shopping affiliated my interest with both major political parties. I think information gathering (both accurate and not so accurate) is farther reaching than I really want to know.

When I'm in one of my *moods* I like to fuck with phone solicitors.. "Oh, a cruise to the Bahamas sounds lovely. With all the stress I'm under with the house foreclosure and the repossession of the car, I could use a vacation." And then I scram out to my imaginary child, "Quit torturing the cat. When Daddy gets out of jail next week, you're going to be sorry." That way I don't have to ask to be put on their do-not-call list.

My rant was about the 'Net, but certainly not limited to it. Your anecdote demonstrates part of the full extent of my paranoia. As far as shopping trails go, I've come to expect that. In snail-mail days, I could order something then get dozens of unsolicited catalogs, pleas for charitable donations, and even some who thought my shopping affiliated my interest with both major political parties. I think information gathering (both accurate and not so accurate) is farther reaching than I really want to know.

When I'm in one of my *moods* I like to fuck with phone solicitors.. "Oh, a cruise to the Bahamas sounds lovely. With all the stress I'm under with the house foreclosure and the repossession of the car, I could use a vacation." And then I scram out to my imaginary child, "Quit torturing the cat. When Daddy gets out of jail next week, you're going to be sorry." That way I don't have to ask to be put on their do-not-call list.

Very inexpensive item for your Christmas WishList:
http://jollyrogertelephone.com/how-to-send-your-telemarketers-to-this-robot/

Also, many of the conversations can be heard at youtube, search for "jolly roger telephone."

And a TED talk:
http://www.tedxnaperville.com/talks/roger-anderson/

I don't answer the phone if the call is without caller ID. My friends and family show up (because they are on my contacts list or have caller iD) and anyone else will leave a message if it is important. No one else gets through. Hasn't created a problem yet.
To block most data collection online, set your Safari and search engine settings to accept cookies only from sites you visit. A search engine that doesn't collect data is DuckDuckGo, unlike Google, so you can use it for shopping.
In the end, I started out gung ho, and discovered I am too lazy to do these things. Besides, I think everyone knows everything about me already.

Very inexpensive item for your Christmas WishList:
http://jollyrogertelephone.com/how-to-send-your-telemarketers-to-this-robot/

Also, many of the conversations can be heard at youtube, search for "jolly roger telephone."

And a TED talk:
http://www.tedxnaperville.com/talks/roger-anderson/
Well, that TED talk confirmed what I have thought about faking caller ID. We have an unlisted number and that has protected us for a good bit of it. But of course Robo-calling thwarts that if I do pick up the phone. We really don't get many calls (and I am retired) so messing with them is an activity of unlimited entertainment value. I've had a few calls on my cell phone and those have to be robo-calls as less than 5 people have that number.

My cell phone use baffles most people as I only turn it on when I want to make a call and then turn it off when I'm done. Or I'll have it on so my husband can reach me when I'm out of the house. You know for those important calls like, "If you happen to be passing Zaxby's on your way home, I'd like a salad with honey mustard." But even those are rare because my latest car has blue tooth and he dislikes me talking on speaker.

Well, that TED talk confirmed what I have thought about faking caller ID. We have an unlisted number and that has protected us for a good bit of it. But of course Robo-calling thwarts that if I do pick up the phone. We really don't get many calls (and I am retired) so messing with them is an activity of unlimited entertainment value. I've had a few calls on my cell phone and those have to be robo-calls as less than 5 people have that number.

My cell phone use baffles most people as I only turn it on when I want to make a call and then turn it off when I'm done. Or I'll have it on so my husband can reach me when I'm out of the house. You know for those important calls like, "If you happen to be passing Zaxby's on your way home, I'd like a salad with honey mustard." But even those are rare because my latest car has blue tooth and he dislikes me talking on speaker.
You--and Mr Sue, proud owner of a flip phone--need to find a Luddite Cell Phone distributor.

You--and Mr Sue, proud owner of a flip phone--need to find a Luddite Cell Phone distributor.
My $5.00 flip Tracfone has been replaced by a Smartphone with Consumer Cellular. It comes in handy when we're on the road and want to find someplace to eat. After finding a place on Trip Advisor or Yelp it gets turned off. My billing cycle will end 4/26 and I have used 2 of the 250 minutes and 0.01 of the 1.5GB of the plan I set up. I tried to send a text and was unsuccessful.

Mr. Sue sounds like a kindred soul. I'll proudly wear the Luddite label. I often answer an e-mail by snail mail using a fountain pen as my pen of choice. I don't reject technology. I just use it judiciously. I'm not a total fool. I'd never want to use the wringer washing machine my grandmother and mother had or the mangle ironing machine my aunt used. I love my back-up camera and GPS in my car.

Latest posts

Back