On the theme of families ...

DianaCox

Bad Cop
My son-in-law is adopted. His parents live in the same 55+ community where we moved (we leveraged their research into this being a decent place to live), so the kids have to come visit for holidays since they get a twofer and nobody feels left out. They are lovely people and we socialize with them once or twice a month (they have their own friends and interests, and we don’t overlap much on the interest side - she is artsy and does volunteer work; he plays golf), so we don’t wear out our welcome and also we live on opposite ends of this sizable community (our homes are about 3 miles apart).

Co-madre (D) wears her heart on her sleeve. She is a bit older than me, and has some medical issues, including with her heart. She has the grandbaby-rabies BAD. The kids just got married AND bought a house in October, and money is tight, but they are planning on trying to start a family soon, using the embryos they created two years ago due to my daughter’s endometriosis. She may or may not be able to carry a pregnancy. D is eager for a grandbaby ASAP.

My daughter told me a couple of weeks ago that she had made an appointment with her doctor at the end of March to discuss doing the embryo transfer soon. I casually mentioned this to D the last time we got together, and later, she mentioned that it hurt her feelings that neither of the kids had told her about the appointment. I tried to smooth it over by saying it was just an information gathering appointment, so there was really nothing to report yet, but the point is that information about the kids is really important in her life.

A couple of years ago, my daughter told me that SIL was interested in finding his biological parents, obviously his biomom in particular, if for no other reason than to get family medical history. Since I have decent Google-Fu skills and I had time on my hands, I did some research. The information I had was his birthday, the county where he was born and that the mom was a youngish teen at the time. I didn’t really get anywhere at the time.

Several months ago, I gave it another try. I immediately found a new database of birth records for the county, narrowed it down to fewer than 50 boy babies, eliminated unlikely ethnic names (he’s blonde and blue eyed), and quickly realized that there was one mom with an unusual last name, and that there was no first name listed for the baby, but last name was the same as mom’s.

Two minutes later, I had found her Facebook page, address and possible phone numbers, including where she works. Her looks and family pics appeared consistent. She’s in her late 40s and has no (other) children.

SIL sent her a Facebook PM and friend request. No answer, though she didn’t block him - it’s not clear whether she ever saw his messages. The kids got busy with the wedding and buying a house and moving.

For Xmas, my daughter bought them both 23andme kits, to research their backgrounds and genetic health considerations. The kits were opened at Xmas in front of both sets of parents.

They just got their results back. His results matched him with a second cousin, who listed the unusual last name as being part of her family genealogy. He contacted her. She is also in CA, but doesn’t know most of her cousins on that side.

So that’s where things are at, at the moment. Biomom lives in the same town where SIL works, and they both have to drive past the building where she works every day. I’m not sure what his next move will be in trying to contact her. I suggested a snail mail letter including a pic and asking for medical information at the very least (she’s a nurse).

I feel a bit too invested in this search. It’s like a real-life This Is Us or something. I keep trying to think how I might be able to intervene to facilitate the connection, which I’m pretty sure would be a terrible idea. But also ...

I’ve told the kids that if and when the time comes that SIL shares the fact that he knows who his biomom is, he is to keep my part in the discovery process a secret. He should just say he did the search himself, or a friend did. If D knew I had done this, she would be really really hurt. I don’t want that to happen.

Updates if and when they occur.

Interesting! I think if I were adopted, I would want to know. It sort of surprises me many do not have any desire to find out who their biological parents were or are(you know who I am talking about). I think it's great your SIL found out while his biomom is still alive.

And danger, danger, danger! Sounds to me like you need to limit your discussions with the MIL to the weather. You want the kids to be able to talk to you! One of the many things I despised about my MIL was her constant harping about babies. Finally I told her I was not up for raising a child on my own, her son couldn't take care of himself much less a baby, and it certainly wasn't my fault that I had to bring in most of the money. That shut her up and she quit asking if I was pregnant every time she saw me.

My new-to-me older sister thought she was adopted, but her guess of who her dad was was incorrect.

In the period between finding her, and my dad fessing up, my younger sisters and I had some Really Solid Ideas about who the mom was. As it turned out, all of them were wrong!

I agree about limiting the topics of conversation. I guess, based on work, this is natural to me. Either you're read in or you aren't, and if you aren't, you are in this other silo that knows nothing.

Way to sleuth! :) And I suspect you'll be an amazing grandmother when the day comes, so congrats that the kids are inching closer to that goal!!!!

Interesting! I think if I were adopted, I would want to know. It sort of surprises me many do not have any desire to find out who their biological parents were or are(you know who I am talking about). I think it's great your SIL found out while his biomom is still alive.

And danger, danger, danger! Sounds to me like you need to limit your discussions with the MIL to the weather. You want the kids to be able to talk to you! One of the many things I despised about my MIL was her constant harping about babies. Finally I told her I was not up for raising a child on my own, her son couldn't take care of himself much less a baby, and it certainly wasn't my fault that I had to bring in most of the money. That shut her up and she quit asking if I was pregnant every time she saw me.

What she said.

I think if I gave up a child for adoption, I think I'd want to know they were OK, and confirm that I did the right thing. If I were adopted, I think I would have a burning desire to know the information about the adoption and my bioparents - and I'd have to be careful and intentional to not hurt my real parents due to my enthusiasm for the information per se - it might be mistaken for wanting different parents. But that's because I know what my heart is, and I forget other people can't tell.

Nothing new yet. SIL is contemplating his next move. I think he should write to her at the address I found (I'm 99% sure it's correct - her significant other - name gleaned from her Facebook postings - has a business that requires a license, which is listed at the address). I think his letter should enclose a picture (so she can look and see the similarities for herself), an explanation of his evidence for why he thinks she is likely his mother, and tell her if she doesn't want a relationship, that's OK - he's most interested in family medical history. And to tell her he is grateful for her loving gift to his parents, who raised him in a wonderful home. There is actually a lot of information on the internet about how to do this. But of course, it's up to him.

(Interestingly, he's an EMT who's now working as an OHSA supervisor for large construction projects; she's a nurse who works as in occupational health. Her information is on her Facebook and Intelius, but I don't think he should lead with it - that seems a bit creepy, right?)

Two POVs:

1) my nephew is aware that he has a living bio dad and totally disinterested. I THINK he feels that:
A) contact would be "disloyal" to and hurtful to his adopted father, who has been there since he was two.
B) fuck him...he had a baby boy and gave him away...too late now.

2) my late BFF was contacted in the 1980s (?) by the daughter she had relinquished back in 1962. She told
that daughter she would like to meet, but "later." She didn't want to be involved in family dynamics and
SHE felt that her presence might hurt the adoptive parents, who were a bit older. When those parents died,
and the daughter again made contact, they connected and got along famously!

Jeeze - I never updated this. Much happened.

I don’t remember exactly how the research went, but son-in-law’s 23andMe cousin match came up with a DIFFERENT branch of the family with the unusual name, who she thought might be the one that might be one of his parents. We looked them up on Facebook, and two of the brothers were spitting images of SIL. The cousin did the cautious inquiries, and bingo - SIL found his biomom! She and her family (his 3 half-sisters and half-brother) almost immediately flew to CA to meet him - she was so excited to find him!

They have gotten together a number of times since then, and after her fear and understandable sensitivity had been allayed, his adoptive mother and father agreed to meet the family. It went well - SIL’s adoptive mom, who is very artsy-crafty, made a “baby book” of SIL’s childhood for his biomom, which just chokes me up every time I think of it.

So, on to biodad. The 23andMe results didn’t help much. And biomom wasn’t much help either - it was apparently a one-night stand after a HS party, and she felt in retrospect that it wasn’t entirely consensual - he was a couple of years older, drove her home from the party, and probably neither was entirely sober. She only knew his first name, which was also fairly unusual. (She also admitted that he had learned about the pregnancy and tried to contact her about it, but she refused to have anything to do with him. She was just barely 17 when SIL was born and gave him up for adoption.)

So my daughter and I set off on an intermittent journey of trying to find him, from both DNA matches (using GedMATCH) and Mormon and other records. We landed on a couple of possibilities, based on a likely California place of birth, and a last name that had several hits (3rd-4th cousins) on 23andMe, with the same Y haplotype. But there were discrepancies that couldn’t be resolved with the information we could find publicly, so he didn’t try to contact either them.

This Xmas, my daughter bought SIL an Ancestry DNA kit. The results came back last weekend. There was a FIRST cousin match, who quickly responded. She knew she had a first cousin with that unusual first name, but frustratingly, didn’t know his last name, because the mother had been married multiple times! Also, there had been a family clash that resulted in her family not staying in touch with his side. But she did know his mother’s (her aunt) current name. And she had a Facebook page.

It didn’t take long for us to figure out who SIL’s biodad is. He also has a Facebook account. And he lives about 5 miles from SIL and my daughter’s house!

SIL tried to contact him, but got no answer. In the meantime, he found that he has a younger adult half-brother, and got in touch with him - the half-brother was aware of the existence of an older brother, and as an only child himself, was thrilled to find him. This was a couple of days ago.

But there’s something odd going on. The brothers haven’t met yet (they both work long hours - perhaps they will get together this weekend), but the HB said he needs to talk about their dad in person. (I can also see the biodad was out of town last week with limited internet.) I don’t know anything else yet, but the puzzle is about to be solved!

What a chase! The mystery is about to be solved.

I don't know what I would do. Maybe I would be happy to be ignorant. Then all my childhood fantasies could live on. Like my mom was an astronaut and my dad was a Disney princess. Whatever!

SIL is pretty practical. He’d like to know family medical history. Plus he’s just curious to know. Although his biomom’s family is rather religious and Trumpy, they’re good people. Looks like at least some of the biodad’s family is also right wing - could be interesting.

I think there is also a little something about finding siblings for an only child. He doesn’t need new parents, but he’s a family kind of guy.

Wow! Great detective work. So amazing! I'm glad that connections have been positive, and despite the political / religious differences. Hope the HB turns out to be a wonderful future friend.

So no meetings yet, but there is a possible plot twist.

Background: the oldest of SIL’s half-sibs on his biomom’s side has a different father from the 3 younger ones. A first marriage I believe.

I was farting around on biodad’s page, and clicked on his friend Mark T, because yikes, I dated a Mark T once or twice in HS. It wasn’t him, but then my finger accidentally clicked on Mark’s friend Don - who is friends with a friend of mine!

But then it got weirder - I couldn’t remember the name of the guy who was the one who is friends with my friend, so I was clicking on guys on Mark’s friends list, and clicked on one who turned out to be friends with the oldest of SIL’s half-sisters from the same biomom! And when I told my daughter, she said he was that sister’s father - and then OMG his half-sister’s father is actually FB friends with HIS father!

This story is getting bizarre!! SIL’s biomom had kids with two men who are FB friends with each other, but she claims she didn’t know SIL’s biodad’s last name? And SIL’s half-sister didn’t notice her father has a friend with the same unusual first name? Something is fishy here.

(Or it could simply be that those kids, now in their 50s, were all in the same large south Santa Clara County social scene.)

And people think they can get away with cheating... Everyone know someone you know. Degrees of separation and all that.

I’m not sure what’s going on. I was sure SIL would meet up with his half-brother this weekend, but I don’t think they have even texted for a couple of days.

OTOH, based on my snooping of his Facebook page, the biodad was out of state on a trip to do someone a favor, which seems to have devolved into a multi-day Greyhound bus trip home by a circuitous route, instead of the train trip he had planned. No good deed ....

So maybe the half-brother is waiting to have a chance to talk to their dad, after he recuperates from his ordeal. I think I’m more into this drama than the principles.

Latest posts

Back