Longer whinier version of what I posted on FB

DianaCox

Bad Cop
Today, I sent what I *think* is most if not all of the information needed to file our 2016 taxes to our accountant in CA. Our long post-move nightmare (after the long MOVING nightmare) may be coming to an end.

I refuse to take full or even much responsibility for what has been a horror for the last 2+ months - Charles was supposed to be responsible for the paperwork in the house. He insisted on it. Over the last 18 years I have repeatedly asked him if he was keeping track of the investments in materials and services that we paid for, for remodeling the house. He kept insisting yes, but - it wasn't really true. There were multiple boxes, envelopes, files - and they were scattered EVERYDAMNWHERE in our house and garage and storage area and then RV. Add the last minute moving out after the repair work he had to do (two months after I moved out into the RV 40 miles away with the cats), multiple rearrangements of the storage area after we moved out, and then movers mixing things up even more, and basically Charles has been holed up in the second bedroom much of every day for the last 6 weeks (after unpacking the main functionally necessary things in the house) trying to find the papers we need to file our taxes, including receipts for the investments we made in materials and services for the remodeling work over the years, so we can avoid paying taxes on the "profit" from the house (which was MUCH less after we paid off most of our non-house-specific debts, including credit cards, student loans and back taxes).

Sidebar - in addition to these papers, Charles had to find the titles to all three of our remaining vehicles (two cars and the RV), which were NOT in the same place. And we had to get them smogged, and fill out another mess of forms to get them titled and registered, and another set of forms to get US Arizona driver's licenses, which then involved finding MORE documents that were not where they should have been (birth certificates - had to be with the seal! - or passport (Charles' was lost when he tried to renew it 2 years ago and he STILL hasn't reapplied) in addition to our old licenses and proof of insurance, which we fortunately had done three months ago. Getting all that done took most of last Friday at the DMV, once I found out where it was (not as simple as you'd think, as apparently, it's MVD of the AZDOT, and not DMV and there are misleadingly named commercial enterprises here which charge you to do what you can do for "free" at the state office). But we are now O-ficial AZ residents, license plates and all.

Did you know that your down payment is NOT part of your investment in your house and can't be added to the basis? I know it's true, but damn, I still don't really understand why. Basically, we needed to find well over tens of thousands of $$ of receipts (which when he finally started to organize the collected receipts, he stopped when he hit twice the amount we needed, and there were a lot more, but I don't want to know how much) to increase our basis in the house, and zero out our tax liability.

But the one set of papers that eluded him for weeks - and still eludes him - is the closing papers on the house when we bought it in 2000. Last week, I finally had E-NUF of the upset and anger and tension of him going through box after box and not finding the folder with the closing papers (and blaming ME for "putting it somewhere"), and started making phone calls to try to get a copy, because it was clear he was NOT going to find this important file in time to file our taxes (or avoid a homicide).

He had found papers identifying the title company from that transaction - nope, they destroy records after 5 years. We only had the initial mortgage for a year before we refi'ed - but he discovered receipts showing that the original lender was Washington Mutual (WaMu) - which went out of business after the banking scandals of 2008-9. I researched and discovered their successor-in-interest was none other than our current bank JPMorgan Chase - and YAY! I called our bank manager and all they needed was the address of the house, the loan number and my SSN to track it down - though it will take a few weeks to get a copy. But, since we have enough receipts from the remodel to zero out the taxes without the exact amount of the closing costs of BUYING the house, it turns out the for the purpose of filing our taxes, all I really need is the price we paid, which I remember (though we need to be able to show the closing papers if we get audited, so I still ordered the copy).

So, for the last few days, Charles has been going through and organizing the zillions of receipts and writing them down by hand, including dates, vendor purpose and price. I told him the minimum total we needed in order to stop, and he went considerably over for a cushion, but stopped before finishing the whole pile.

Today, I entered the information into an Excel spreadsheet and added up the costs (fortunately, adding a long column of numbers is the sole Excel "function" I know how to do). I created a second spreadsheet for our donations to the Salvation Army (that we could find). And then I went online to our old bank and downloaded the mortgage and savings account interest 1099s (because somehow he didn't find the paper versions of THOSE either), the year end summaries of our now-nearly drained savings investments (yay! they did so badly before we drained them to make it through last year that we have hardly ANY profit to pay taxes on!), my HSA tax forms, and my W2, scanned in the closing papers from the sale of the house (at least we had that!), and emailed the whole mess to our accountant. (And then sent her another email an hour later, when Charles found the ACTUAL final closing papers, rather than the estimate, as well as another tax form for the full sales price ... grrr ... I hope that is all of it.)

And all of this was going on while we did the zillions of other things you have to do when you move to a new state and are old - like finding and going to new doctors and dentists, for example.

We may get back to a normal life at some point - once Charles REFILES all the crap in the second bedroom and den, which look like a bomb went off in them. But there is a place for the papers - while he was going through the papers, i bought nice used lateral file cabinets for them to go into, and found additional shelf hangers for them (some were missing). I even found someone who needs all the cardboard boxes that have been emptied in the process, so he doesn't have to do anything to clean up that part of the mess.

I've done my part - now I want a "normal" life back. Maybe start acting like the old people in this retirement community who all seem to be having a LOT of fun.

Wow! On Monday, we engaged in a successful twenty minute search for my Charles' 2007 car title. That alone caused us both considerable distress/frustration. I can't even imagine the stress that would be caused by the exponentially worse nightmare search scenario you describe above. We would have given up within a couple of days and taken the financial hit. Way to persevere!

Wishing you lots of fun in the days ahead!

Last edited:
I left out a further exercise in utter frustration related to trying to transfer our 1998 minivan that we left in CA for my son. It was an even more urgent matter because the insurance ended on 12/31, and because I didn't want to be legally liable for it anymore. But we couldn't find the title.

Nathaniel went down to the CA DMV at least four times (!!) and each time got different reasons for why they couldn't title it with the set of papers previously sent. Shit like "can't use this scanned and emailed form - has to be original signature." Then the original signature paper was not enough. Then it turned out the lien that was on the van had never been released. And then it turned out that we had never actually titled the van in CA - it had been bought in VA the year before we moved, and I had a loan lien on it at the time. When we bought the house the next year, the mortgage company required that we pay off the car loan to get the mortgage (I was exercising stock options so I had the means), but I never updated the title after they sent it. Charles then found the VA title, which had a signature releasing the lien from the lien holder, but the CA DMV required a NOTARIZED letter from the lien holder. But the lien holder GMAC had gone out of business! So I had to track down the successor-in-interest to find the records! (Which is why I thought of doing so for the closing papers, and was only slightly daunted by finding that the original loan company had gone out of business.) They had to go into storage too, but they had a system for issuing the notarized lien release. It took twice as long as they promised to get here, but it finally did. And then there was another set of papers to fill out making it clear that my name on the title and letter (before Charles and I got married) was still me, and that Nathaniel is my son and it was a gift so he didn't have to resmog or pay taxes. I sent the paperwork - without making copies by express mail - and USPS LOST IT! It fortunately eventually showed up over a week late, but not before I spent a couple of hours on the phone with USPS and hyperventilating.

BUT - in the meantime, due to Nathaniel once again not taking care of the vehicle properly, the head gasket started to leak, and the van is barely running, and he has no parking spot where he lives, so he has to keep moving it. He got another car from a friend (an older Honda that is stolen with alarming regularity) so he was juggling two cars without a parking spot - and then the Honda was stolen again (recovered a few days later without much damage except a flat tire). He tried to go to the DMV to register it at least twice - waited in line for over two hours and they were nowhere near his number and he had to go to work - he finally succeeded on Friday to get it in his own name.

The reason for getting it in his name, besides getting it out of mine, is that CA has a clunker law - once it is titled in his name, he can turn it in and, based on his low income, he can get up to $1500 for it. And maybe buy a better anti-theft system for the Honda.

I keep thinking - if I, as a lawyer, feel this frustrated and overwhelmed with all of this paperwork, how does the average (or low average) person deal??

I keep thinking - if I, as a lawyer, feel this frustrated and overwhelmed with all of this paperwork, how does the average (or low average) person deal??
Part of it may be that you ARE a lawyer. You expect a certain amount of competence on the part of the state/local governments. Those of us not lawyers KNOW they are messed up and incompetent.

Moving is not for wimps.
No kidding! After 20+ years of filing taxes in CO, the IRS somehow thought we hadn't paid them the first year we lived in TN. That was our biggest problem. And then there was the time that a moving company lost EVERYTHING I had shipped from NH to CO. OK, it was only two or three big boxes, but other than the clothes I had taken on the drive from NH to CO was lost. And it was the Federal government that screwed up both times. I don't have much confidence in ANY level.

yes, moving is very stressful, sorry to hear you are having such fun.

if I, as a lawyer, feel this frustrated and overwhelmed with all of this paperwork, how does the average (or low average) person deal??

sometimes, we just don't. :rolleyes:

meanwhile, how do you like the house? the area?

the weather? :fansmiley:

The house is growing on me. We've toned down the cowboy/Southwest themed furnishings and colors by putting in some of our own furniture and art (I like to say we're moving it from Tucson to Tuscan). I hate the kitchen counter and all the old appliances, but I can live with them until Charles decides what to do with the remodel. Maybe next year. We're still not really engaged in the community - we've joined the RV club but haven't done anything with them. I joined the Democratic Club, but there hasn't been much to do yet. Exercise is the next goal - I'm trying to take a half mile or longer walk every night, but I haven't been to any of the gyms that are available yet. I'd like to join a yoga class that meets in the very late morning or around noon, but apparently most folks around here go to bed at 9 and wake up at 5. Meh.

The weather is starting to get warm. It's nice now, but the summer is NOT going to be fun.

sounds like you've done a lot already, for someone so busy.
hey, I got to bed at 9 and get up at 5!

Down pymt as part of the basis? It's already IN the basis, as part of the purchase price, right?

We had a far smaller bunch of tax problems...like we are gonna get SO penalized by CA for under-withholding. I'm guestimating a $1,000 penalty. Why? A zero. We left a zero off the amount to be withheld and didn't even notice. Which makes us assholes. I hate when I'm the asshole. And then I forgot to give my brokerage my new address...so I almost forgot to include that info.

Next year will be better because we get a tax credit of a bit over $7k, for the solar.

And gonna fire our PCP. Speaking of assholes. He wrote me a script for a month's worth of Vicodin. Seven weeks later, I said, "I'm not out yet, but might as well get it filled now." No. He wants me to be OUT of the drug, even though my one-month opioid Rx has already lasted well over 30 days which means I'm obviously not abusing.

And to make matters worse...he refused to write Mr. Sue an Rx for Flonase. FLONASE, ffs. Why? Because it is available OTC. But when it went OTC, our insurance changed our copay from $5 to $10, still better than the $20-25 OTC price. I don't know why our insurance wants to help pay for it. And our doctor shouldn't care. Too bad that Mr. Sue DOES care.

But Mr. Sue, in his charming, passive-aggressive best, said to me, "That's ok. We will make up that $160 a year difference with the several thousand dollars a year we will save when we drop out of his 'concierge medicine' practice." Oh, well.

Back to my 1040's...

I still don't understand the concept of "concierge medicine," nor have I ever seen a program like that advertised. It sounds like something that I wouldn't mind buying as a supplement, if we went single payer and I wanted faster, better service with our various complaints. But it also seems like your choice of providers would be sharply limited.

I'm kind of OK with my current (expensive, high deductible but we always meet it) BCBS plan with exorbitant copays. If my kids (and parents and contemporaries) were covered with better, less expensive basic coverage, I would be OK with a "luxury" plan costing a bit more, if it got me same- or next-day appointments including on weekends, for non-emergency matters.

I put in my zip code and the closest doc is almost 25 miles away. But I couldn't tell from the site:
1) Is this an insurance supplement? Do they coordinate with my insurance?
2) How much does it cost/year? What copays/deductibles?
3) Are they just PCPs?

isn't the whole idea they don't have to deal with insurance? you pay them however much and they treat you, no claims at all.
Around here the ones who don't deal with insurance but treat you for a set payment per month are called direct care providers, if I'm recalling correctly. I was looking into one I read about just last week. He handles preventative, basic illnesses, tests, labs for approximately 80.00 a month, depending on age. If one needed surgery you'd have to go another route, like insurance, . I was investigating as to whether he might be a possibility for getting my needed blood work.

Latest posts

Back