Holiday Confession

MyNewLife

Roast Beef for dinner (shhhhh)
Ok. I'm a bit over three years out and every day of this journey I have tracked my protein and paid attention to hydration. Over the last three/four weeks, I kinda haven't. I'm making a prime rib roast tonight so protein won't be an issue today but I've noticed a couple of things.

I've been carbing it up and managed to put on 5 unwanted pounds. Sugar sodas, breads, even candy and that hasn't left room for my rule which is protein first. The last week or so, I have been starving, I mean as soon as my stomach has any room, I'm dying for more food. I've woken out of a sound sleep and eaten a meal. I'm wondering if it's my body craving protein. I've been grabbing what's been easy, not necessarily healthy till today. I mean, I've been a horse at the trough and believe me what goes in, does come out ;)

I've kept up my vitamins except last night, I was so tired, I just took a multiple, my blood pressure pill and a b12. Lazy, I know. I'm really curious, when you guys don't get your protein in, do you starve? I mean it's overwhelming. I'm on the road most of the time and I've hit every dollar menu there is. Almost every two hours I'm ready for more. I normally make better choices but the quantity I've wanted didn't match my budget, I've had to go cheap. I've got the weekend off so I'll be eating at home. I've got a turkey breast in the freezer, prime rib roast in the oven and fried tenderloins ready for a casserole. I'm planning a tofu scramble or two as well.

If this is why I've been so hungry, how long does it take to correct? Now that the new plan year has started, I'm going to make an appt to get my labs done but I kinda want to wait at least a month so I can get my body to recover from December. It will give me a more accurate picture of my norm. I've only been short on my protein for about three weeks, I get at least 100 grams a day but normally 150. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Yup, if I let the focus drift off protein and onto carbs, I starve and gain weight at the same time.

It leads me to think of the plight of the poverty diet--hungry while trying to fill one's belly on the cheap, which means carbs, carbs and more carbs....which means weight gain.

Funny thing is not that long ago I was concerned because I was losing slowly but consistently. I found out I can break the DS really easy, not on purpose but all the same. If I want to feel like crap and spend a lot of time in the bathroom, I can gain weight :) It takes me no time to track my protein and I have no idea why all of a sudden one day I just stopped but lesson learned. Protein is my friend and will be for the rest of my life. I feel like crap ;)

I hate that good food is so expensive. I work with the food stamp population and their diet consists of so many cheap carbs. I mean a simple bag of oranges is 8 dollars, it's horrid for people that can't spend money on food without giving up electric. I'm so lucky to be able to eat comfortably, not great but not on the cheap. Yes, you can eat well on the cheap but it takes time, skill and a certain amount of knowledge of nutrition. Not often a possibility for my target population.

I am right with you! I have been munching on Swedish fish, sour patch watermelon, chocolate caramels, pie and any other sweet within reach. I have kept my protein up but, this sugar fest must end!

Sugar is much easier to digest than fat and protein. I ate 2 desserts late last night and woke STARVING this morning. It's part of the simple carb/sugar addiction problem so many people deal with.

BTW- I feel totally out of control as well. I mean, I have kept my protein up, and I suppose I'm still eating way less carbs than I would've eaten during a rampage as a pre-op, but I hate feeling not in control of myself and I'm super scared of weight gain!

I was terrible.. TERRIBLE... over the holidays. It started with my birthday cake in early December... a beautiful chocolatey fudgey giant masterpiece from Costco that hubby and I shared. And by "shared" i mean he had like 3 pieces, and I ate the rest. Granted, spread out over a week, but still.... that was a LOT of chocolate. It started my sugar/carb cravings back up, and boy did they ever come back with a vengeance. And I totally used the time of year as an excuse. I tried to continue getting in protein, but I let myself eat whatever sweets/carbs I wanted in addition. Hopped back on the scale today... apparently I lost almost 6 pounds during that time. This same body that wasn't losing weight on 1500 calories a day, under 100 carbs a day and 100+ grams of protein lost 6 pounds on sweets and carbs. Go figure. I'll never figure it out. :oops: Back on the horse yesterday and today, though.

those carbs slide right down, don't they? :oops:

They slide right out, too ;)

This morning, I'm eating sliced beef stick with a few Ritz to take the spice away. I plan on eating left over Prime rib for lunch. I made horseradish sauce with sour cream and I ate it. My milk intolerance reminded me of why I don't have dairy most of last night :eek:

I think I'm gonna try to up my protein to like 200 gms a day for a week or so to try to bring my body back to normal.

It's gonna be a good and compliant year. This is the year, I don't gain nor lose any weight. I'm happy the way I am and my clothes fit ;)

They slide right out, too ;)

This morning, I'm eating sliced beef stick with a few Ritz to take the spice away. I plan on eating left over Prime rib for lunch. I made horseradish sauce with sour cream and I ate it. My milk intolerance reminded me of why I don't have dairy most of last night :eek:

I think I'm gonna try to up my protein to like 200 gms a day for a week or so to try to bring my body back to normal.

It's gonna be a good and compliant year. This is the year, I don't gain nor lose any weight. I'm happy the way I am and my clothes fit ;)
"I'm happy the way I am..." PRICELESS!

Thanks. I think my biggest fear is to go up or down, I have a pooch on my tummy, mostly extra skin but some fat. I have batwings from hell and no boobs but I'm comfortable. As a TMI, the milk I had took care of that extra five pounds overnight, not a recommended weight loss method ;) Yesterday I hit 250 gms of protein, prime rib, bbq ribs and summer sausage.

Today, breakfast sausage so far...yummmy.

-me-

Thanks. I think my biggest fear is to go up or down, I have a pooch on my tummy, mostly extra skin but some fat. I have batwings from hell and no boobs but I'm comfortable. As a TMI, the milk I had took care of that extra five pounds overnight, not a recommended weight loss method ;) Yesterday I hit 250 gms of protein, prime rib, bbq ribs and summer sausage.

Today, breakfast sausage so far...yummmy.

-me-
Milk doesn't do that to me, just makes me wish I were DEAD from the gas/bloat/pain and I would love to drink milk!

Milk gives me the gas/bloat/pain and even if I don't eat fat, massive oil slicks with dhr. I will never suffer constipation as long as there is milk or cheese around ;)

As an aside, I was tired tonight and went to look at tv dinners because I didn't feel like cooking. I'm sure it would be terrible but there is a hungry man dinner that boldly states 41 gms of protein. I wish more manufacturers would show the protein up front on their packages. I didn't pick it up to look at carbs but I'm sure they were ridiculous.

Have you ever found a reasonable replacement for

sour cream?

Yep the carb monster got me too! I wish I could eat meat but I can eat very little without getting very full after a couple of bites. It also takes forever to get through the tummy and it is hard to even get fluid down so I depend on cottage cheese, regular cheese, yogurt, and egg white protein shakes. Funny but I have trouble with some fish too but do ok with shrimp and crab meat. Wish I had the money to eat those more often!

Yep the carb monster got me too! I wish I could eat meat but I can eat very little without getting very full after a couple of bites. It also takes forever to get through the tummy and it is hard to even get fluid down so I depend on cottage cheese, regular cheese, yogurt, and egg white protein shakes. Funny but I have trouble with some fish too but do ok with shrimp and crab meat. Wish I had the money to eat those more often!

That sounds life a shitty way to live, sorry! I hate cottage cheese and yogurt! I wish they could fix your troubles! I have to get the candy out of my house, I am terrible with it.

Latest posts

Back