High Ferritin Related to Iron Infusion? Or Liver Anomaly on CT Scan?

Parousia

I typically have low iron, tending towards anaemia. Because of that, I had an iron infusion in early Feb, prior to my DS. When I saw my GP yesterday, she mentioned that my Ferritin was high when I had iron studies done on 27 June. My Transferrin was low and my T. Saturation was high normal. It's usually low. My GP seemed unconcerned about it, and said it could just be inflammation. Well, if inflammation can cause my Ferritin to jump from 26 ug/L, which is fairly typical for me, to 402 ug/L (Ref Range 20 - 300) in June, that seems like something worth looking into, I would have thought! Anyway, there are three candidates that I can think of, that might have caused this result, so if anyone knows anything about them, or has any other suggestions, I would very much appreciate your input.

1) I'm wondering if this could be a result of the iron infusion in February. Those of you who have had iron infusions and were tested a few months later, have you found that your Ferritin levels have been on the high side for awhile afterwards?

2) Another thing I'm wondering about is an anomaly in my liver, that showed up on the abdominal CT Scan that was done prior to removal of my cyst. I can't find the report atm, but it said something to the effect that there were various perfusions in the liver that weren't apparent on previous CT Scans (I've had quite a few over the years because of a Portal Vein Thrombosis in 2004, and other abdominal issues). I'm scheduled for an MRI on 13 August to investigate further. The surgeon suggested it could be caused by fatty liver, but wouldn't that have improved with 32 kg (70.5 lbs) weight loss? I'm wondering if fat disappearing could cause these changes in the liver, and whether it's problematic or will correct itself with time.

3) The third candidate (and the most likely, now I come to think of it) is my gall bladder. I've been having a lot of RUQ pain after eating for the past month or so, so I'm wondering whether I might have a gallstone or gallbladder disease as a result of the weight loss, which could be causing increased inflammation and thus increased Ferritin levels. The pain could be related to whatever is going on with my liver though, rather than my gallbladder, I suppose. My GP reckons they would pick up any gallstones on the MRI if that's the problem.

Anyway, obviously I am following up on these issues, but I would love to hear the thoughts and experiences of others on any of this. :)

I have no idea, but if you are concerned about gallstones, the best test for this is an ultrasound. Each test has its strengths and weaknesses. CT is great of a lot of things but not so great for gallstones, and you have lost a lot of weight, which can cause gallstones whether the weight loss is from bariatric surgery or not.

I had my gallbladder removed back in 2000. I had 1 gallbladder attack and thought I was having a heart attack and was going to die. I have a pretty high tolerance for pain. But RUQ pain would be where it is. I definitely feel that MRI should show stones. Also with the liver things that cause a fatty liver are obesity, high cholesterol, high fat diet and rapid weight loss. I am sure there are things but these are ones that I know. It makes sense that the liver would improve. I am such a newbie though and have very limited knowledge so don't rely too much on what I spew :ROFLMAO:

ho!

40636-Ghost-Hug.gif

Not sure about how long, but my hemo will not test for iron values after infusion because, he says, they will be through the roof.

Hth

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back