Help with Pain Meds...

Felicity

I'm hoping for some advice. My lap band to DS revision was last Monday and I have been in a lot of pain since. At the hospital after first waking up from surgery, I was already at a 10. I had a pain pump the first night but the pain only lessened to about a 7 at any point. Starting the day after surgery, they took me off the pain pump and instead had me on codeine by mouth every 4 hours. Even if complaining about pain being an 8+, I wasn't given anything else and instead told to wait for the 4 hours for more codeine. I developed a bad headache in addition to the surgery pain, but didn't say anything to the nurses because they clearly weren't going to give me anything to help with the pain.

I was released on Wednesday and I'd say the pain was a 9+ and crying all the 6 hour drive home (DH was driving). Since the car ride, the pain level at the incisions has decreased dramatically but my overall pain is still a pretty steady 7. I'm finding as my surgery incision pains lessen, my headaches, back pain and tailbone pain are getting worse to compensate.

To throw another variable into the equation I went without any codeine all weekend (unwillingly) because my Rx from the hospital was apparently only for 3 days worth and the refill didn't transfer to my home pharmacy before they closed for the weekend. It was a pretty rough weekend but I noticed I didn't have any headaches at least, so was able to get more sleep than I had gotten all week. I tried some liquid tylenol and noticed a small decrease in pain, but at the expense of nausea, so I stopped.

Monday morning I got the Rx issue sorted out and had liquid codeine again. Almost immediately after taking it, the headache came back and the rest of the pain had no change. I waited 4 hours and took my next dose- same thing; continued the headache and same pain.

Today I saw my PCP to get my staples from surgery removed. I described to her the issues with pain that I have been having and she said she would not prescribe me anything because my surgeon was in charge of managing my pain. I called the surgeon's office and they advised to stop taking the codeine because of the headaches and just do liquid or crushed Tylenol, and they would not prescribe anything more potent since I was already a week out from surgery. Note, I was only able to get a nurse to speak with me today since the surgeons weren't in the office when I called.

So, now it's Tuesday night, I am unable to get comfortable enough to fall asleep with my back/tailbone pain and the abdominal pain. I haven't taken any codeine since Monday night (in hopes one of the Dr's would prescribe me something different today so I could start it right away).

I feel like I am being treated like the drug addicts you see on TV intentionally smash their hands so they can get pain pills. I've had no history of substance abuse, and hell, haven't ever asked my current PCP for pain medicine before even after having talks with her about my back pain before surgery (side note- her plan with my back pain is physical therapy once I am recovered enough since the x-rays only showed some minor disc compression). I honestly know that I am not a drug seeker, and am only asking for pain medicine because I am in pain!

I don't know what to do. I've spent most of a week either near tears, or actually crying because I hurt so much and I feel defeated after no one would help me today. I was in nowhere NEAR as much pain with my lap-band or gallbladder surgeries. I don't feel like any of my pain is urgent enough to go to the hospital for - my bowels are doing OK, i'm getting in enough water, I am walking as regularly as I can... I just can't sleep. Or sit still. Or lie down... or be anywhere NEAR comfortable.

Does anyone have any advice? Sorry if this is a bit jumbled. Much thanks in advance.

My back was the worst after my surgery. Laying on a metal table with all your weight pressing down for the entire surgery caused me more pain than the actual cuts did. My leg was actually numb for a few weeks. I think I had some slight damage. I was very worried.

It all worked its way back to normal though.

What worked for me, because I can not do heavy narcotics. I actually become violently ill, was tram-adol and flexeril for bedtime and just Tylenol or Advil during the day.

Also, make sure you're moving. Walk, it will help with pain. Sitting around feeling the pain and focusing on it won't help at all.

Are you drinking enough water? Having bowel movements? Urinating? Following the surgeons food schedule ?

Hi, thanks for the reply. I'm eating/drinking/walking on the post op schedule to a "T" . It's probably what's keeping me the most sane right now- having the regime to follow. Not being able to get comfortable enough to sleep for more than a few hours this past week is what's wearing on me the most, I think.
I've done my best to get as comfortable as possible for sleep (thanks to advice in the other thread about sleeping positions), so I guess I was hoping someone might suggest an otc combo to help, a remedy, or idea how to explain my issue so a dr would understand and help. At my wits end (probably due to exhaustion).

((((Hugs)))) Felicity. Not sure what to tell you. Are you taking the tylenol? If you are, let them know it isn't touching your pain. You have a right to pain management. Unfortunately it sounds like the only one they tried gave you the headaches.

Wow!! You had major surgery and codeine really doesn't touch anything. I can get why medical professionals are fearful of addictive medicines, but with all the surgeries I've had I have had good pain control. Yes, they are addictive, but they CONTROL PAIN!! I don't get the fear of writing ONE prescription with no refills...I mean, you can't abuse that. And shame on your PCP. h/She should have at least offered to call the surgeon about your pain management.

I am so sorry. I think what helps in healing is not feeling the pain so you can heal. Gracious, I can't imagine the discomfort you have been going through.

Are you taking the tylenol? If you are, let them know it isn't touching your pain.

Thanks for the hugs @southernlady. I could go for some hugs right now. I haven't tried the Tylenol since this weekend because it made me nauseous. They advised to take liquid Tylenol, so all that my DH could find was some blue Tylenol Cold stuff that did not sit well. I'm afraid to try it again because frankly I would prefer pain to nausea!

I am so sorry. I think what helps in healing is not feeling the pain so you can heal. Gracious, I can't imagine the discomfort you have been going through.

Thanks @SJB41976, I couldn't agree more. I made it clear I didn't want like 100 pills and an ongoing Rx; just at least 1 I can take at night for a week or two until the pain level subsides and I can heal enough to try to sleep more normally. I'm glad it's making sense to you guys because I was fearing my sanity. Was I crazy to think that my pain shouldn't continue to be this bad? Appreciate the replies.

Thanks for the hugs @southernlady. I could go for some hugs right now. I haven't tried the Tylenol since this weekend because it made me nauseous. They advised to take liquid Tylenol, so all that my DH could find was some blue Tylenol Cold stuff that did not sit well. I'm afraid to try it again because frankly I would prefer pain to nausea!
The codeine they had you taking, was it a liquid or a pill? If a pill, try the pill form of tylenol.

There is stuff in the cold formula that isn't in the regular liquid tylenol...altho you may need to look at children's tylenol instead of adult.

If your pharmacy doesn't have liquid tylenol/acetaminophen for adults, they are sure to have it in the children's medicine section. One container of this may only have enough for a couple of adult doses, though.

I am so sorry the bastards aren't managing your pain! If it continues or gets worse, go the emergency room. They have to treat the pain and then maybe you can get your surgeon to prescribe. This just infuriates me. It is more about what the surgeon is comfortable with than your comfort.

The codeine they had you taking, was it a liquid or a pill? If a pill, try the pill form of tylenol.
The codeiene is a liquid, so I was trying for liquid tylenol as the office had suggested. They also said I can crush regular tylenol, which I might try next.

If your pharmacy doesn't have liquid tylenol/acetaminophen for adults, they are sure to have it in the children's medicine section. One container of this may only have enough for a couple of adult doses, though.
Thanks, I did notice they had Children's Tylenol but anything for adults was for colds. I may try this if crushing the solid Tylenol it doesn't help.

I can;t believe they released you with that much pain. It is against any hospital's protocol to release a patient with a pain level of 7-8, but that doesn't mean they don't choose to ignore that. Last week a hospital removed my husband's PCA of narcotics after surgery the day before and tried to release him an hour later with nothing more than tylenol because the surgeon didn't "believe" in prescribing narcotics. My husband was reporting a pain level of 8 and could barely stand. I had a hissy fit and said I wouldn't be able to get him out of the car and in the house -- he either got a narcotic pain reliever or he was staying another night and as many nights as it took for his pain to be gone. Magically, narcotics appeared.

Medicare has really cracked down on patients being sent home before they are ready. A big box all cap notice on hospital paperwork says something like "If you feel you are being forced out before you are well enough, report it by calling XXX-XXX-XXXX."

Oh, and studies show Tylenol does great for fever but little for pain. (NSAIDS work better for pain.)

Hope you feel better.

I can;t believe they released you with that much pain. It is against any hospital's protocol to release a patient with a pain level of 7-8, but that doesn't mean they don't choose to ignore that. Last week a hospital removed my husband's PCA of narcotics after surgery the day before and tried to release him an hour later with nothing more than tylenol because the surgeon didn't "believe" in prescribing narcotics. My husband was reporting a pain level of 8 and could barely stand. I had a hissy fit and said I wouldn't be able to get him out of the car and in the house -- he either got a narcotic pain reliever or he was staying another night and as many nights as it took for his pain to be gone. Magically, narcotics appeared.

Medicare has really cracked down on patients being sent home before they are ready. A big box all cap notice on hospital paperwork says something like "If you feel you are being forced out before you are well enough, report it by calling XXX-XXX-XXXX."

Oh, and studies show Tylenol does great for fever but little for pain. (NSAIDS work better for pain.)

Hope you feel better.
Am I allowed NSAIDs this close to surgery? I know they're ok with a sleeved stomach in the long run, wasn't sure how long I need to wait...

I don't recall your surgeon or hospital but that is ridiculous. You need norco at a minimum and maybe oxy. Your PCP needs to be fired by you for not giving you a script to control your pain especially if your surgeon is out of state.

If these sorry Bastard won't help you then ER is where you need to be

Am I allowed NSAIDs this close to surgery? I know they're ok with a sleeved stomach in the long run, wasn't sure how long I need to wait...
An nsaid isn't going to help with the type of pain you are having ..you need real pain meds... but yes you can take nsaids now.

I am sorry but it pisses me off when these fucks abuse patients like this by not addressing their pain control.

NSAIDS:
1) wait til healed ON the inside, typically 6-8 weeks
2) need food on your stomach when you take them
3) Never exceed the OTC or prescription DAILY dose.

Latest posts

Back