Help with Pain Meds...

I would also go to the ER with your original prescription and tell them what type of surgery you just had and ask for real pain meds. You can't just trot over to your surgeon who is 6 hours away. That's ridiculous.

I had my first surgery in Mexico and after I got home some of my stitches were coming out and I went to a Walk-In Clinic, not a doc in a box, but a real, after hours emergency walk in clinic. I told the nurse what was gong on and could hear her and the PA discussing my case. The PA instructed the nurse to tell me to go see my surgeon. So she comes back in and asks me about my surgeon. I told her he was in Mexico. She goes outside...tells the doc, the doc asks "on vacation??" She comes back in and I told her I had surgery in Mexico and couldn't go back to see the surgeon. *sigh*. Finally the doc comes in and is really rude and attempts to "scare" me saying that there is nothing they can do and if it gets worse and my incision busts open or gets infected I might have to have surgery again to fix it. Most US docs don't understand going to Mexico for surgery, it's like it offends them. Anyway, it was really an awful experience and even though your PCP was probably nice, it's still anxiety provoking to not get help. And my incision ended up being fine. All that to say, I empathize with you and know how frustrating that must be to not just be able to drive across town to your surgeon.

I still don't understand why your PCP would not give your surgeon a call and describe the pain to them and then consult on giving you a prescription.

(((HUGS))) I hope you get some relief, even if it means going to the ER. You can't heal properly when you are in pain, you have to relax and let your body do it's thing. I can imagine the stress and anxiety this is causing and that impedes healing.

@Felicity i wish i had some suggestion for you. Obviously, the codeine is causing your HA - that is common. As I type this, I am thinking You could take the codeine every 4 hours or as prescribed - then on the opposite hours - every 4 take the liquid tylenol. so you would essentially be taking something every 2 or 3 hours until you get the pain under control. Now, I am assuming it is straight codeine and not tylenol with codeine, otherwise it will be to much codeine. Anything else that is OTC would have some component of NSAID in it.

I would be calling the surgeons office frequently till they order you something or have your pcp do it. Narcotics have to have a written prescription, not a phoned in one.
I had a lapband to DS revision and was given plenty of liquid pain meds, with a flippin' refill. I took it at bedtime for several weeks so understand your pain and would anticipate you will need something for a while.

I understand about drug seeking behaviors, but good grief, this is ridiculous. You are a fresh post-op. The ER route may be a thing too - but sometimes ER docs are even more hyper aware of what they consider drug seeking.
I will be thinking of you. Keep us posted.

Seriously? Tylenol? After a DS? Who is your doc. We need to know so we can warn people to have this conversation pre-op and if he/she won't prescribe appropriately, find another doc.

What the hell is the matter with those people??!! They need to give you some relief! I know that I'm late to the conversation so hopefully by now you have been able to some pain meds. I'm so sorry that have to go through this Felicity! MY thoughts are with you.

So, 11 days out from surgery and my pain level is finally down to about a pretty steady 3. I tried another call to my PCP and Surgeon after posting here, but nothing came of it. I did find some actual (non-children's, non-cold) liquid acetaminophen at CVS that I took the maximum daily allowed amounts of for a few of the worst days. I'm even sleeping in bed, with the help of lots of pillows to cushion my stomach so I can sleep on my side. That helped a lot, since a lot of my pain was my tailbone, butt going numb, and back muscles.
The major thing that hurts is my lower left side, deep. It feels like I got punched there. I'm assuming that's muscle that had to be cut through? Definitely not the best feeling ever, but at least I don't hurt all over!

I had one night where I had extreme nausea about 4-5 hours after eating, shortly after lying down to sleep. I woke up and heaved then vomited a small amount, but it only appeared to be saliva that I was throwing up. No acid or food particles. After that, it felt like my stomach spasms for quite a while, and I threw up again a few hours later. I'm still not sure what caused all of that, but because it didn't persist or happen again, I just moved on.

Anyway, thank you for the empathy and advice and hugs. It was rough there for a bit, but I think I am through the worst of the pain (dear god I hope)! <3

Oh no... I just read this and I'm so sorry that you are having a rough time of it. You're going through what I expected for ME... lots of almost unbearable pain. I wish there was something I could do to make you feel better... please know that you're in my thoughts and I'm sending positive healing energy your way. *hugs* Hang in there...

Last edited:
So, 11 days out from surgery and my pain level is finally down to about a pretty steady 3. I tried another call to my PCP and Surgeon after posting here, but nothing came of it. I did find some actual (non-children's, non-cold) liquid acetaminophen at CVS that I took the maximum daily allowed amounts of for a few of the worst days. I'm even sleeping in bed, with the help of lots of pillows to cushion my stomach so I can sleep on my side. That helped a lot, since a lot of my pain was my tailbone, butt going numb, and back muscles.
The major thing that hurts is my lower left side, deep. It feels like I got punched there. I'm assuming that's muscle that had to be cut through? Definitely not the best feeling ever, but at least I don't hurt all over!

I had one night where I had extreme nausea about 4-5 hours after eating, shortly after lying down to sleep. I woke up and heaved then vomited a small amount, but it only appeared to be saliva that I was throwing up. No acid or food particles. After that, it felt like my stomach spasms for quite a while, and I threw up again a few hours later. I'm still not sure what caused all of that, but because it didn't persist or happen again, I just moved on.

Anyway, thank you for the empathy and advice and hugs. It was rough there for a bit, but I think I am through the worst of the pain (dear god I hope)! <3
Glad you've found some relief, Felicity. Hoping the pain gets better each day. I've been lucky, at 4 days out I'm weaning off the Percocet and onto Tylenol. Even getting used to stabbing myself in the belly with needles (Lovenox) twice daily. The only think that really hurts right now is when I forget and take too big of a sip of water which hits the stomach like a brick and radiates pain so I can't breathe for a few seconds. Feel better!

Was your lap band port on the lower left side? If so, it's sewn into your muscles. You may be feeling pain from them taking it out. When I had my band put in, that place hurt the worst after surgery.

Hi there i hope you are doing better I know this was from a few months ago but I wanted to ask how everything was going

I have actually started having extreme bad headaches when I was in the hospital I had a few but I had constant percocets every 4 hours two of them

now that I'm home I had a prescription of 25 with instructions to take 2 every 4 hours that means they gave me two days worth of prescription pain meds no refills

so I've been trying to not take them only take one if I absolutely have to I started trying tylenol yesterday which doesn't do anything

I woke up with a pounding headache horrible headache like one of my bad migraines and broke down and took an excedrin migraine
one of them with a bite of Greek yogurt for some protein lining

I hope I'm allowed to take excedrin but I just couldn't deal with it I made sure to sip on some water for about a half hour and now I have some g2 Gatorade in case it's electrolytes as well and it seems to have subsided a little bit at least enough to where I think I might be able to fall back asleep

anybody have any idea on what the headaches are? is it from the liquid only diet? lack of caffeine some kind of withdrawal to foods ? anybody know?

Hi there i hope you are doing better I know this was from a few months ago but I wanted to ask how everything was going

I have actually started having extreme bad headaches when I was in the hospital I had a few but I had constant percocets every 4 hours two of them

now that I'm home I had a prescription of 25 with instructions to take 2 every 4 hours that means they gave me two days worth of prescription pain meds no refills

so I've been trying to not take them only take one if I absolutely have to I started trying tylenol yesterday which doesn't do anything

I woke up with a pounding headache horrible headache like one of my bad migraines and broke down and took an excedrin migraine
one of them with a bite of Greek yogurt for some protein lining

I hope I'm allowed to take excedrin but I just couldn't deal with it I made sure to sip on some water for about a half hour and now I have some g2 Gatorade in case it's electrolytes as well and it seems to have subsided a little bit at least enough to where I think I might be able to fall back asleep

anybody have any idea on what the headaches are? is it from the liquid only diet? lack of caffeine some kind of withdrawal to foods ? anybody know?
My guess is that the headaches could be related to caffeine withdrawal if you were drinking a significant amount before. Try some tea (caffeine is not evil and will not kill your hydration as long as you are drinking plenty of fluids).

How is your hydration? That could be contributing as well. BTW, you can take Ibuprofen if needed as well. NSAIDS are not off limits for DS'rs

Ok so i get about 60 oz or more of liquids and my pee is relatively clear. I was thinking caffeine cause i used to have monster muscles several time a week which is an energy drink n protein drink mixed together.
Ok good to know i was pretty sure i had read i could have excedrine if i needed to so i did the migraine one has caffeine in it.
I dislike tea and coffee strongly otherwise i would get it thru that i am trying to think of any other none carbonated liquid that i like that has caffeine

Latest posts

Back