Hello

Nancy Roberts

Hello my name is Nancy and I am looking into weight loss surgery but not sure which one is best for me I am leaning to the sleeve surgery but don't know what the others are supposed to do for you.
I am open to suggestions.

Hi, Nancy. Welcome. There is a lot to read here, and a lot to learn -- dig in! Also, if you'd like to tell us a bit more about yourself, the WLS vets here will have lots of ideas and insight.

Hi, Nancy. Welcome. There is a lot to read here, and a lot to learn -- dig in! Also, if you'd like to tell us a bit more about yourself, the WLS vets here will have lots of ideas and insight.
I am a nursing student going back to school in my mid forties, I am 240 pounds and I am disgusted with myself I suffer from depression and being this big has been a big trigger for me. I am so determined to have this surgery that I decided not to share what I am doing with a few of my closest friends because I am tired of know it all people out there that tell me I should just go on a diet and try to lose it myself and that I do not need surgery, and I am tired of some peoples negative opinions. I look at it this way opinions are like assholes everybody's got one and if I have not lost the weight by now at 46 years old and kept it off than it is probably time to do something about it that works.

Hello and welcome! You will still get a lot of opinions on here, the good thing is that most of the people can defend their opinion with experience and education. Others, are much better and smarter and have scientific evidence to support the information they can share with you. So, soak it all in and ask questions.

Welcome Nancy! Please use the resources here to learn about each of your options. It is a decision only you can make. I started at 245 at age 60 after a lifetime of yo-yo'ing, I thought I wanted the 'least invasive' procedure, but after lots of research, I decided on the DS. At almost 3 years out, I have not had a second of regret. Dropped to a low of 115, but now happily settled in at 125 with no more hyperlipidemia and no longer pre-diabetic. I've embraced the responsibilities that come with the DS, but Vites, protein and labs are just second nature now. We are all different. This is just my own experience. Good luck on your journey!

Hello and welcome.

I am extremely biased but if you do your research you will realize that there is only one proven WLS that stands the test of time.

Hi Nancy!

I have had the VSG and many folks here have had the DS. the question is, how is your metabolism? do you need malabsorption or only restriction in a surgery.

Hello Nancy, Welcome!

Please love and be proud of yourself as you are. Dieting and exercise never worked for me in the long run and the statistics evidence that they don't work for the vast majority of people either (~95% failure rate).

Do you have any comorbidities (Diabetes or pre-diabetes, sleep apnea, etc.)? What's your plan to learn about the various surgical options?

Best wishes!

Hi Nancy!

I have had the VSG and many folks here have had the DS. the question is, how is your metabolism? do you need malabsorption or only restriction in a surgery.
That is a good question I do not know how my metabolism is. I am assuming that is must be low because all the diets I tried in my recent years since turned 40 have not worked like they used to. The only thing that worked was taking diet pills and cutting carbs before I turned 40 and I think its because they not only curbed my appetite but they raised my metabolism. If I do not take diet pills but cut out my carbs I do not struggle with a big appetite but that is not working anymore its seems as though my body has reacted like an allergic reaction to diets the first time they worked the second time my body had built a high tolerance to them or defense mechanism that it will not react to. So what is best for a person with low metabolism and a big appetite versus a normal metabolism and a big appetite? I also noticed since I have gotten older my appetite is not as big. When I was a teenager I could eat like a pig, now there are times that I get full really fast and cannot eat like I used to. Would not being able to eat as much as I used to be an indication of a low metabolism too?

Hello Nancy, Welcome!

Please love and be proud of yourself as you are. Dieting and exercise never worked for me in the long run and the statistics evidence that they don't work for the vast majority of people either (~95% failure rate).

Do you have any comorbidities (Diabetes or pre-diabetes, sleep apnea, etc.)? What's your plan to learn about the various surgical options?

Best wishes!
Hi thanks for the encouragement.
I just found out that I am pre diabetic and there is diabetes in my family and obesity in my family and that is another reason I want to have this surgery because I am afraid of getting bigger and I already have really bad swollen feet and ankles from the extra weight and I have been tested and I do not have bad kidneys or heart failure so I know its not from that.

Nancy, I am a newbie here, but your description of your lack of response to diets and your pre diabetes suggests to me you should be looking at the DS more than any other surgery.

Latest posts

Back