Hello from the bayou, cher!

DarkRoux

Etouffee or GTFO
While I'll miss all the fricassees with heaping mounds of rice and the sauce piquants with heaping mounds of rice and all the gumbos with...you guessed it, heaping mounds of rice, I want to not die over said mounds of rice much more.

Like many of you, I've spent the entirety of my now middle-aged life fat. Fat baby to overweight child to obese teenager to morbidly obese adult blah, blah, blah. So while I'm excited about what a healthy me might look like, I'm anxious about losing my identity as the fat chick.

The DS is my chosen tool for this transition. I've researched this option for nearly a decade and I feel quite ready for what is in store, or as ready as anyone can possibly be without having had the actual surgery yet. I'm scheduled to make my way to the bench at the end of the year and I'm here for all the valuable insight vets and newbs alike have to offer.

Now please excuse me while I eat this lunch of shrimp and okra gumbo with a heaping mound of rice.

Roux

Welcome, @DarkRoux
While I'll miss all the fricassees with heaping mounds of rice and the sauce piquants with heaping mounds of rice and all the gumbos with...you guessed it, heaping mounds of rice, I want to not die over said mounds of rice much more.
Yeah, rice was a mainstay of my meals most of my life. I cut back when I discovered my diabetes and ate as close to my glucose meter as possible. But I truly didn't kick rice to the curb til my DS. Now at almost 5 years out, I have rice maybe 2 times a year, ALWAYS away from my house and eat my protein first. So maybe one bite.

Welcome @DarkRoux !

Soon you will have an identity that is based on YOU and not on your weight. That should be glorious.

And now I want shrimp and okra gumbo but I'm still on post-op clear liquids. One day.

Welcome, @DarkRoux

Yeah, rice was a mainstay of my meals most of my life. I cut back when I discovered my diabetes and ate as close to my glucose meter as possible. But I truly didn't kick rice to the curb til my DS. Now at almost 5 years out, I have rice maybe 2 times a year, ALWAYS away from my house and eat my protein first. So maybe one bite.

Thanks for the warm welcome! @southernlady

Like you, rice sends my glucose soaring, all grains do really, but it's such a part of the food culture here that I've justified its use for much too long. I have to treat it like any other sugar whore would and ditch it altogether. The DS will make that non-negotiable for me, at least in the beginning. That's a start!

@Clematis Thanks for the welcome! OMG you have a baby DS right now! I hope you get on to more appetizing food choices soon. But between you and me, ya might want to save okra as one of the last veggies you try. The fiber content is, uh, super duper high. On the plus size you can save money on those colonics pahahaha!

@newanatomy @aaa Hey y'all!

Hi and welcome @DarkRoux! Just the mention of gumbo... oh my!
Hmmm maybe I could fake it with cauliflower "rice" and tell myself it's the real deal?
No? I didn't think so.... LOL

Good to have ya here!

I am 12 years out. I can eat a half a serving of rice (though there will be modest bathroom consequences in the AM). I use it to sop up sauces, but I eat some of the sauce with a spoon to avoid too much rice.

You will be surprised, eventually, to find that foods that don't feel good eventually lose some of their appeal. Rice swells in the sleeve, and give bloaty gas. Doesn't mean I don't eat it, I just ONLY eat it with dinner (so it's just me and my shitty farts or farty shits in the morning, in my own bathroom), and only enough to enjoy but not preclude eating enough protein and other creamy goodness. It's a little disappointing to lose the relationship with certain foods, but bacon being a health food and not dying is not a bad trade off.

Like many of you, I've spent the entirety of my now middle-aged life fat. Fat baby to overweight child to obese teenager to morbidly obese adult blah, blah, blah. So while I'm excited about what a healthy me might look like, I'm anxious about losing my identity as the fat chick.

The DS is my chosen tool for this transition. I've researched this option for nearly a decade and I feel quite ready for what is in store, or as ready as anyone can possibly be without having had the actual surgery yet. I'm scheduled to make my way to the bench at the end of the year and I'm here for all the valuable insight vets and newbs alike have to offer.

Now please excuse me while I eat this lunch of shrimp and okra gumbo with a heaping mound of rice.

Roux
Hello and welcome! You'll find a wealth of excellent information and support here.

Latest posts

Back