Hello from PA

Newb

I want to start out by saying that I am thrilled to have found this forum. I am in the process of preparing for surgery, I haven't met with the surgeon yet though. I have attended classes and meetings, originally I was certain that sleeve gastrectomy was the best option for me. But with more research, it seems that bpd ds is a better option. However, I am really struggling with the potential long term effects of the ds surgery. On a daily basis, horrendous gas and diarrhea will not be easy for me to work with. I am a public school teacher and cannot simply go whenever I need to. But even more importantly, the potential long term deficiencies are pretty frightening. This forum is easing my fears a bit, but I am definitely looking for advice on those two areas. I do not want any revision all surgeries, I am looking for a clean start. I'm not afraid of the necessary canges, but it is scary when people state that they almost died because of ds. Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hi @Newb and welcome! There is a lot of good information available here and the veteran DSers are extremely helpful.
I am fairly new to this - I had my revision from lap band to DS on October 3, 2015 - but I can assure you that horrendous gas and diarrhea is something that is overplayed by a lot of people - especially doctors who don't do the DS. I normally have two bowel movements a day within a couple of hours of waking up. I have had a couple of bouts of diarrhea and gas, but it's been when I consumed more carbs than I knew I should have, and also once when I ate some collard greens and discovered that collards at 2 months out can be quite rough on a still-healing system. I have never had an accident in public - I always try new foods when I expect to be home just in case it doesn't like me. Anyway, I was told prior to my surgery and my post-op experience confirms that the gas and diarrhea issues are controllable by diet.

I'm sure the vets will weigh in but I wanted to say hi and let you know that it ain't necessarily so :)

Hello and welcome. Read, read, read. I am sure a lot of your fears will go away. We have several teachers on here. They manage very well.

Hi @Newb and welcome! There is a lot of good information available here and the veteran DSers are extremely helpful.
I am fairly new to this - I had my revision from lap band to DS on October 3, 2015 - but I can assure you that horrendous gas and diarrhea is something that is overplayed by a lot of people - especially doctors who don't do the DS. I normally have two bowel movements a day within a couple of hours of waking up. I have had a couple of bouts of diarrhea and gas, but it's been when I consumed more carbs than I knew I should have, and also once when I ate some collard greens and discovered that collards at 2 months out can be quite rough on a still-healing system. I have never had an accident in public - I always try new foods when I expect to be home just in case it doesn't like me. Anyway, I was told prior to my surgery and my post-op experience confirms that the gas and diarrhea issues are controllable by diet.

I'm sure the vets will weigh in but I wanted to say hi and let you know that it ain't necessarily so :)

Thank you so much. Words from another actual person, and not just medical journals, is very reassuring. I'll be interested to see how you are progressing, you will be ahead of me in this journey, and that is comforting g also. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome, @Newb
However, I am really struggling with the potential long term effects of the ds surgery. On a daily basis, horrendous gas and diarrhea will not be easy for me to work with. I am a public school teacher and cannot simply go whenever I need to. But even more importantly, the potential long term deficiencies are pretty frightening.

Several of my friends are teachers with the DS. In the early days, it can be an issue but after the first 8-12 weeks, things settle down and you start to learn your new system. I do know that I have to go once a day, usually in the AM but NOT always when I first get up. MY system seems to wake up and decide to go around 8AM. BUT I am retired and can go at that point in time. I suspect if I woke up earlier, my system would wake up sooner. :)

Gas is mostly controlled by what you eat. As you heal, you will find out what is an issue for you. What causes ME gas is pasteurized milk (use to be all lactose), sugar alcohols, and too much bread, pasta, etc. My husband can drink pasteurized ilk all day long with NO effect.

Being morbidly obese has it's own long term issues. Most of ours can be managed by keeping a close eye on our vitamins/lab levels. Some will get you whether you have WLS or not. Example, osteo...many factors are genetic, age, sex, related and NONE of that can be changed. What you can change is getting enough calcium for your body by getting all your labs and watching your own levels. So you could develop osteo even being morbidly obese. Or become anemic.

One thing that this surgery does do is make you aware of your own labs and how they all work together to keep us as healthy as possible. Most of us usually had just basic lab work before we had WLS and now we tend to be a bit anal about our own labs.

As for being frightening...education tends to help there.

Hi @Newb and welcome!
On a daily basis, horrendous gas and diarrhea will not be easy for me to work

this is so not the case! I agree with @BebeZed - try new foods when you are going to be home. I travel for work so end up on planes, and in hotels, and long meetings and have not had an issue. The only gas comes when I have eaten carbs. I go in the AM a time or 2. if I ate a lot of carbs yesterday, I may go 4 or 5 times. so, read, read, read till you get a comfort level with what we are telling you.

I am pretty new too and have dont think I have fully moved into my guts. I swear I think you go through infant, childhood and adolescence guts. Early on I did not have any of the typical things that the vets mentioned but as I have gotten farther from surgery, my guts have grown into the DS norm.

Welcome, @Newb

Several of my friends are teachers with the DS. In the early days, it can be an issue but after the first 8-12 weeks, things settle down and you start to learn your new system. I do know that I have to go once a day, usually in the AM but NOT always when I first get up. MY system seems to wake up and decide to go around 8AM. BUT I am retired and can go at that point in time. I suspect if I woke up earlier, my system would wake up sooner. :)

Gas is mostly controlled by what you eat. As you heal, you will find out what is an issue for you. What causes ME gas is pasteurized milk (use to be all lactose), sugar alcohols, and too much bread, pasta, etc. My husband can drink pasteurized ilk all day long with NO effect.

Being morbidly obese has it's own long term issues. Most of ours can be managed by keeping a close eye on our vitamins/lab levels. Some will get you whether you have WLS or not. Example, osteo...many factors are genetic, age, sex, related and NONE of that can be changed. What you can change is getting enough calcium for your body by getting all your labs and watching your own levels. So you could develop osteo even being morbidly obese. Or become anemic.

One thing that this surgery does do is make you aware of your own labs and how they all work together to keep us as healthy as possible. Most of us usually had just basic lab work before we had WLS and now we tend to be a bit anal about our own labs.

Hi @Newb and welcome!

this is so not the case! I agree with @BebeZed - try new foods when you are going to be home. I travel for work so end up on planes, and in hotels, and long meetings and have not had an issue. The only gas comes when I have eaten carbs. I go in the AM a time or 2. if I ate a lot of carbs yesterday, I may go 4 or 5 times. so, read, read, read till you get a comfort level with what we are telling you.

I am pretty new too and have dont think I have fully moved into my guts. I swear I think you go through infant, childhood and adolescence guts. Early on I did not have any of the typical things that the vets mentioned but as I have gotten farther from surgery, my guts have grown into the DS norm.
Welcome, @Newb

Thank you for your help and time. I agree, education is key

I want to start out by saying that I am thrilled to have found this forum. I am in the process of preparing for surgery, I haven't met with the surgeon yet though. I have attended classes and meetings, originally I was certain that sleeve gastrectomy was the best option for me. But with more research, it seems that bpd ds is a better option. However, I am really struggling with the potential long term effects of the ds surgery. On a daily basis, horrendous gas and diarrhea will not be easy for me to work with. I am a public school teacher and cannot simply go whenever I need to. But even more importantly, the potential long term deficiencies are pretty frightening. This forum is easing my fears a bit, but I am definitely looking for advice on those two areas. I do not want any revision all surgeries, I am looking for a clean start. I'm not afraid of the necessary canges, but it is scary when people state that they almost died because of ds. Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Hello @Newb and welcome! You'll find a wealth of quality information and support here.
BTW, I'm also in PA and nearly 3 months out from a DS with Dr. Bonanni at Abington Hospital. I was terrified of the horror stories and delayed for years before finally going for the DS. (Knock wood) I've been doing great. My only regret is not doing it sooner. Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

It's all about doing what you are supposed to do. At first it's a massive change. Then it just becomes your way of life. It just is!

I had my surgery in 2003. I'm still here and I'm in great health.

Hello @Newb and welcome! You'll find a wealth of quality information and support here.
BTW, I'm also in PA and nearly 3 months out from a DS with Dr. Bonanni at Abington Hospital. I was terrified of the horror stories and delayed for years before finally going for the DS. (Knock wood) I've been doing great. My only regret is not doing it sooner. Good luck, whatever you decide to do.
Hello julia ..i am going to Dr G inthesame practice and schedules for revisionto DS injanuary...post was so helpful

Hi Newb! Im embarking n the same journey and have the same questions. I travel a lot in my job so replies to your post have beenso helpful
Nice to meet you and look forward to sharing and supporting

Hi Cassie, Dr. G is very good as well. I'm pleased with the practice overall - very caring and helpful, and of course competent. Mine was a 'virgin' DS so I can't be much help with your revision but there are others here who've been through revisions and lots of good information on this site. Best of luck with your surgery in January. Consider letting @southernlady know of your surgery date so she can put it on the forum calendar and we can all send you positive energy!

Again, I want to just let everyone know how grateful I am for the communication. I have felt like this whole process has been in a complete vacuum so far, no one to really talk to. I don't feel that way anymore. At this time, I have to one 30 pounds before my surgery. I'm really trying, incorporating shakes and watching what I eat more closely. I'm not seeing much result, and I afraid I fell off the wagon since Christmas. I'm going o puck myself up, and keep going.
I 've been looking at the supplements many of you are posting as well as vitalady's recommendations. Are you taking supplements 'as needed' or, are you following a daily supermen regimen? Thanks all!

Latest posts

Back