Hello from Md

Mom2Stitch

Eleven years ago, Dr. Elariny in Fairfax gave me a new lease on life. There wasn't as much knowledge then as there was now. My guidance was "vitamins every day, lots of protein, low on carbs." Honestly, I've not done as well as I should have. But today is a new day! I've got about 25 lbs of bounceback (thank you stress eating of carbs!) that I will be working to shed again--all with the help of lots of bacon, steak and cheese. I'm struggling with hydration, but I push forward as best I can with it (I admit that I am a coffee junkie!). I'm supplementing with Premier RTD to push me over the 100g protein mark everyday. I'm working on lab compliance and recently had my labs drawn (haven't had a full panel done is almost 2 years....). Exercise will be the next step so that I maintain my sanity while taking 4 classes next semester to finish my bachelor's degree. Hoping to draw on the wealth of knowledge here as well as the straight talk the knowledgeable vets have to impart to help me get me to where I need to be....

Stacy
HW/SW: 283
LW: 148
CW: 173
Surgery: DS, 4/15/04

Welcome, @Mom2Stitch

Being a coffee junkie isn't necessarily a bad thing unless you aren't getting in enough fluids other than coffee. For me, my coffee is my excuse to get more fat in. :) Others use it as a way to get in protein.

Hi @Mom2Stitch. I'm an Elariny patient, too. Less than four months out, though. Send me a private message if you want to talk. I'm in Northern Virginia, just inside the Beltway.

Vitamins and protein are a trial for me too, but I've dedicated myself to pushing through my resistance on those issues. I feel like the more I that, the easier it becomes.

Welcome, @Mom2Stitch

Being a coffee junkie isn't necessarily a bad thing unless you aren't getting in enough fluids other than coffee. For me, my coffee is my excuse to get more fat in. :) Others use it as a way to get in protein.
Thanks @southernlady! I am working hard to get in other fluids besides coffee (and red wine!). Haven't quite found a protein that would work in coffee yet, but an open to any recommendations folks may have! Otherwise, I've found that using orange, lemon and lime in my water makes it much easier to get down. It's funny--I used to guzzle water by the gallon pre-DS, but since surgery it's a struggle to get liquids in. I have difficulty eating and drinking at the same time--always have--and am envious of those folks that can and do. But I have learned to love HWC in my coffee--holy cow! Where has that been for the last 11 years??? :geek: I've been doing this almost forever it seems, but am still learning so much. Or I'm starting to finally pay attention is probably more like it!

Hi @Mom2Stitch. I'm an Elariny patient, too. Less than four months out, though. Send me a private message if you want to talk. I'm in Northern Virginia, just inside the Beltway.

Vitamins and protein are a trial for me too, but I've dedicated myself to pushing through my resistance on those issues. I feel like the more I that, the easier it becomes.
Thanks @OldBroad! And congrats on your recent surgery! Hopefully Dr. E's office staff is better than it once was... He's a GREAT surgeon--did my DS and gallbladder 2 years later. Wouldn't have had any other cutter--in fact when I had my DS he was one of the only surgeons in the DC area that performed it. I used to live in Burke, but now live in Southern Maryland (which is why finding an understanding PCP is a challenge).

Take a lesson from a chick who didn't necessarily take the right path from the start....listen to the educated vets here and on Facebook--protein, water, vitamins and when there is room left, then the carbs! Don't push off the supplementation! I'm playing catch up in the knowledge department and hope that I can get my numbers in a good range. And likewise--feel free to PM me anytime!

~Stacy

I am still learning as time goes on and I am going to tell you it seems like many of those further out than 10 years or so no longer really need to eat as much protein or fat as they used to. And there is a lot of plain old dieting going on. I can't claim to know the for sure answer. I guess it would depend on your labs. But quite a few of those 10+ DSers are now low fat, low carb, and moderate protein.

Why are you worried about coffee? All that diuretic stuff is mostly nonsense. Coffee is a mild diuretic that has no effect on people who regularly drink coffee.

Eleven years ago, Dr. Elariny in Fairfax gave me a new lease on life. There wasn't as much knowledge then as there was now. My guidance was "vitamins every day, lots of protein, low on carbs." Honestly, I've not done as well as I should have. But today is a new day! I've got about 25 lbs of bounceback (thank you stress eating of carbs!) that I will be working to shed again--all with the help of lots of bacon, steak and cheese. I'm struggling with hydration, but I push forward as best I can with it (I admit that I am a coffee junkie!). I'm supplementing with Premier RTD to push me over the 100g protein mark everyday. I'm working on lab compliance and recently had my labs drawn (haven't had a full panel done is almost 2 years....). Exercise will be the next step so that I maintain my sanity while taking 4 classes next semester to finish my bachelor's degree. Hoping to draw on the wealth of knowledge here as well as the straight talk the knowledgeable vets have to impart to help me get me to where I need to be....

Stacy
HW/SW: 283
LW: 148
CW: 173
Surgery: DS, 4/15/04
Welcome Mom2Stitch! Great to have a veteran like yourself with us! I'm about 15 months post surgery DS now, and have lost all my excess weight (from a high of 412 to 179 lbs). I'm trying to stop losing now and am on Creon for better absorption. Remember: Yesterdays mistakes are for learning from ONLY. Beating yourself up for past sins is the domain of fools and the mentally ill. It's all about what you are going to be doing today and tomorrow! Very happy to have you with us.

:welcome1:

Welcome Mom2Stitch! Great to have a veteran like yourself with us! I'm about 15 months post surgery DS now, and have lost all my excess weight (from a high of 412 to 179 lbs). I'm trying to stop losing now and am on Creon for better absorption. Remember: Yesterdays mistakes are for learning from ONLY. Beating yourself up for past sins is the domain of fools and the mentally ill. It's all about what you are going to be doing today and tomorrow! Very happy to have you with us.

:welcome1:
You hit the nail on the head, @Will2014! Taking today and trying to do better than all the yesterdays behind me. That's all we can do--as long as we learn and don't continue to repeat mistakes! ;)

That's an incredible success for you to have already lost all your EW in just 15 mos! It took me almost 2 years to settle at a weight--I never did set a # goal when I embarked on this journey. But I do know I"m not happy with the rebound so it's back to basics. It's amazing the changes that the DS has brought with it. My only true regret is that I didn't have the surgery done earlier in my life! Good luck to you in getting your loss to slow down so you remain healthy!

Latest posts

Back