VSG to DS : week 8 update..kinda long..

LindaDarnell

So I'm officially 8 weeks since my VSG to DS "conversion" as my Dr prefers to call it ( he said he doesn't consider it a revision bc there were no anatomical or performance issues with my sleeve that he had to address during the surgery. The Sleeve alone wasnt powerful enough to handle my weight loss needs).
Anyway, so how am I doing? For those considering or preparing for a VSG to DS, my story will read as many others you may have followed. The first week is pure HELL! If ur sleeve is untouched, then you'll probably be able to eat solid foods alot sooner. But DONT! While ur old sleeve may be able to handle it, ur newly rerouted bowels cannot!! The gas alone will make you want to die bc it will smell like you are from the inside out! Plus the poop smell is even worse! Anything you eat with fat will run right through you, anything u eat with carbs (simple or complex) will give you the worse gas ever! Oh and I actually shit myself. Yep, day 6 i ate some lima beans with smoked turkey skin...less than 2 ounces total. And I woke from a dead sleep to realize I'd pooped all over myself, at 3am in the morning! After that, I promptly returned to the liquid diet for 2 more weeks.
While there is absolutely nothing on the market for the gas, Immodium helps tremendously with the loose bowels. But I dont take it often, just when Im going to be away from home, and dont want to have to use a public bathroom.
While I dont enjoy the same restriction that I had after my sleeve surgery, i definitely cant eat nearly as much as I had been in recent years prior to my DS. I've also had to readjust back to the rules of a very low carb lifestyle, though i have more options than I did with the sleeve. Carbs are not my friend, not just because they hinder weight loss, but they cause ALOT of flatulence and stomach discomfort.

Weight loss...it's been slow as my Dr warned me it would be. It's been almost 5 years since my VSG, and I dont have the metabolic synergy that virgin DS patients have with the combination of a new sleeve and switch. So I did lose the proverbial 10 pounds the first week...and then stalled! Actually picked up 2 pounds. That lasted about 2 weeks, but I was losing inches. So I tried to not let the scale bother me. But I am a scale junkie. I hop on it several times a day, as I visit the bathroom. Cant help it. But I try not to obsess over it as much when it doesn't move.

I have one "cheat" day a week, where I dont track my food, have a treat that I can enjoy, and eat alot. The reason I do this is it keeps me from feeling deprived which will in turn make every day a cheat. Also, it actually helps jump-start the scale when it's lagging, similar to carb cycling. So the very next day, Im back on plan and I stick to it until the next cheat day. I dont have my cheat day on the same day every week so that my body doesnt get "used to it", and I make myself earn the right to it. If I've had some bad moments then cheat day is delayed until i'm back on track for at least 48 hours. As of this morning, Im down 22 pounds, and have lost a total 18 inches across my body. I'll take it!

Fatigue/lethargy has also been a concern. The first 6 weeks or so I felt like a sloth! I didnt think I'd ever return to normal. But everyone on this forum and the Dr and NUTs reminded me that my body has had a major rerouting that requires alot of energy as it heals. But gradually, as my body healed, food intake and vitamin intake increased, my energy levels started returning.

After 7 weeks, I returned to work this past Monday. My biggest fear was uncontrollable gas and having to poop (I hate public bathrooms and have only ever taken a BM in one when I absolutely couldnt hold it) Fortunately, neither of those have been an issue! Everyone has remarked that Ive lost weight..I didnt share details of my surgery...so that made me feel good that its noticeable. My energy has dropped a few times but I pushed through it!

Overall, the first 8 weeks have been a journey, to say the least! I'm definitely still learning my new switch's boundaries. Im learning to accept that my journey is going to be different than anyone else's. And Im reminded that no matter how powerful the DS is, it's still only a tool to help me. I have to own the work!

Last edited:
Linda -- Thanks so much for the update. I'm having VSG to DS in two weeks so I am very interested in the details.

Sounds like it is going as expected.

Congratulation on the 22 pounds gone! How much do you want to lose to get to your goal?

Linda -- Thanks so much for the update. I'm having VSG to DS in two weeks so I am very interested in the details.

Sounds like it is going as expected.

Congratulation on the 22 pounds gone! How much do you want to lose to get to your goal?

Thank you ma'm. There are a few of us on here that recently had VSG to DS completed in the last 6months. @Stefanie S. has several really great posts on here that I followed, and re-read a million times. Her insight has been helpful.

As far as how much I want to loose, I'm all over the place on any given day! When I had my VSG initially I wanted (NEEDED) to lose 175...but only lost 90. But I looked really great, and that point only wanted to loose another 25. Unfortunately, I couldn't sustain it with the sleeve alone, so I gained about 30-35 pounds back.

I'll never be a skinny mini, nor do I want to be. I just don't want to be "heavy". Right now, I'm 22 pounds down from the revision, and if I could lose another 55 and keep it off I think I'd be happy and comfortable. Taking the total picture into consideration from my highest weight before VSG to my new goal weight, that would be 321 to 195. I'll take that any day, because most of that is going to be hips and butt which runs deep in my family, and is not going any where!! :) So i've learned to love them.

Great update, Linda! The nice thing about the DS is that you are not "cheating" because you are not on a diet. The focus is on making long-term lifestyle changes. If you want to have a dessert or high carb item along the way, have it, and keep your carbs in mind when choosing your foods for the rest of the day and the week. Some people are more strict than others during the weight loss phase and as you already know it is "a process."

Linda!
What a great update! I am three weeks ahead of you and have only lost 12 pounds since surgery. I also keep weekly measurements and mine have stalled the last two weeks. My sleeve is eight years old and I often wonder if my body even recognizes that I had a ds. Other than my iron levels bottoming out and I had an infusion, my body I think is just in shock. I'm glad to know that we are in the same boat together as revisions. I'm so happy for you and your success!

Great update, Linda! The nice thing about the DS is that you are not "cheating" because you are not on a diet. The focus is on making long-term lifestyle changes. If you want to have a dessert or high carb item along the way, have it, and keep your carbs in mind when choosing your foods for the rest of the day and the week. Some people are more strict than others during the weight loss phase and as you already know it is "a process."
It's definitely a process for sure! My husband and I were discussing our cheat day vs sneaking things. When we sneak we end uo eating way more than planned, snd often are not satisfied bc we didnt really eat what we want..just what we could get out hands on and scoff down b4 getting caught. For example, ur craving a cupcake, but unable to make it to the decadent bakery. So u end up by pack of Hostess prepackaged from a convenience store...crap!!! But a planned cheat day, u get exsctly what u want, feel satisfied, and ur more cognizant of what ur eating so u dont eat or "cheat " as much as thought u would

Linda!
What a great update! I am three weeks ahead of you and have only lost 12 pounds since surgery. I also keep weekly measurements and mine have stalled the last two weeks. My sleeve is eight years old and I often wonder if my body even recognizes that I had a ds. Other than my iron levels bottoming out and I had an infusion, my body I think is just in shock. I'm glad to know that we are in the same boat together as revisions. I'm so happy for you and your success!
I waiting for things to turn around for u soon. As some hsve already suggested in ur other posts, increase ur calorie count through fat. If ur still in the sleeve mindset that we shouldnt graze and stay under 1200 calories...forget about it!!!! The only thi g the same is to keep ur carbs low. But u may need to jumpstart ur weight loss witb a few more carbs. Not a lot more, but maybe 60 instead of 25. But definitely eat fat....animal fst seems to work best for me . A sausage patty for breakfast, salmon based in olive oil or butter for lunch. And even though i track my food, i dont get crazy if the calorie are high, as long as the carbs are low. Ull get it!!

So I'm officially 8 weeks since my VSG to DS "conversion" as my Dr prefers to call it ( he said he doesn't consider it a revision bc there were no anatomical or performance issues with my sleeve that he had to address during the surgery. The Sleeve alone wasnt powerful enough to handle my weight loss needs).
Anyway, so how am I doing? For those considering or preparing for a VSG to DS, my story will read as many others you may have followed. The first week is pure HELL! If ur sleeve is untouched, then you'll probably be able to eat solid foods alot sooner. But DONT! While ur old sleeve may be able to handle it, ur newly rerouted bowels cannot!! The gas alone will make you want to die bc it will smell like you are from the inside out! Plus the poop smell is even worse! Anything you eat with fat will run right through you, anything u eat with carbs (simple or complex) will give you the worse gas ever! Oh and I actually shit myself. Yep, day 6 i ate some lima beans with smoked turkey skin...less than 2 ounces total. And I woke from a dead sleep to realize I'd pooped all over myself, at 3am in the morning! After that, I promptly returned to the liquid diet for 2 more weeks.
While there is absolutely nothing on the market for the gas, Immodium helps tremendously with the loose bowels. But I dont take it often, just when Im going to be away from home, and dont want to have to use a public bathroom.
While I dont enjoy the same restriction that I had after my sleeve surgery, i definitely cant eat nearly as much as I had been in recent years prior to my DS. I've also had to readjust back to the rules of a very low carb lifestyle, though i have more options than I did with the sleeve. Carbs are not my friend, not just because they hinder weight loss, but they cause ALOT of flatulence and stomach discomfort.

Weight loss...it's been slow as my Dr warned me it would be. It's been almost 5 years since my VSG, and I dont have the metabolic synergy that virgin DS patients have with the combination of a new sleeve and switch. So I did lose the proverbial 10 pounds the first week...and then stalled! Actually picked up 2 pounds. That lasted about 2 weeks, but I was losing inches. So I tried to not let the scale bother me. But I am a scale junkie. I hop on it several times a day, as I visit the bathroom. Cant help it. But I try not to obsess over it as much when it doesn't move.

I have one "cheat" day a week, where I dont track my food, have a treat that I can enjoy, and eat alot. The reason I do this is it keeps me from feeling deprived which will in turn make every day a cheat. Also, it actually helps jump-start the scale when it's lagging, similar to carb cycling. So the very next day, Im back on plan and I stick to it until the next cheat day. I dont have my cheat day on the same day every week so that my body doesnt get "used to it", and I make myself earn the right to it. If I've had some bad moments then cheat day is delayed until i'm back on track for at least 48 hours. As of this morning, Im down 22 pounds, and have lost a total 18 inches across my body. I'll take it!

Fatigue/lethargy has also been a concern. The first 6 weeks or so I felt like a sloth! I didnt think I'd ever return to normal. But everyone on this forum and the Dr and NUTs reminded me that my body has had a major rerouting that requires alot of energy as it heals. But gradually, as my body healed, food intake and vitamin intake increased, my energy levels started returning.

After 7 weeks, I returned to work this past Monday. My biggest fear was uncontrollable gas and having to poop (I hate public bathrooms and have only ever taken a BM in one when I absolutely couldnt hold it) Fortunately, neither of those have been an issue! Everyone has remarked that Ive lost weight..I didnt share details of my surgery...so that made me feel good that its noticeable. My energy has dropped a few times but I pushed through it!

Overall, the first 8 weeks have been a journey, to say the least! I'm definitely still learning my new switch's boundaries. Im learning to accept that my journey is going to be different than anyone else's. And Im reminded that no matter how powerful the DS is, it's still only a tool to help me. I have to own the work!
It's like I wrote this!

Latest posts

Back