Hello everyone....revision to DS if possible

OrganicLife

Hi Everyone.

I have been researching about revisions, and will have to have it done in NJ due to insurance.

Really want to revision to a DS. Always wanted that from the very beginning, but wasn't able to get it due to severe adhesions and the amount of time it took to clear away the adhesions. So, I am living with a VSG....modified. Never lost all my weight, although i did loose 100 pounds and it stalled. Needed to loose 155 pounds. Then as years went on, and stress filled my life, the weight started to climb. There is no more restriction, so I am assuming my sleeve has stretched almost to normal. Surgery was done in 2010. I knew, deep down inside, that this was going to happen.

Now, I am researching revision surgeons. If I have to have it done open, for safety reasons, then so be it. I was told two years ago, that open would be my only option, due to my history. At this time, I am hoping that maybe new techniques may be used, minimizing a large opening. This is why I am here, to research. I need to fix me, so that I can have a healthy life.....what's left of it.

:mess:

Dr. Greenbaum has an excellent reputation. My understanding is that he does the DS open, which really doesn't matter in your case as it sounds like your adhesions are bad and you would need open with any surgeon.
Your sleeve should also be assessed to see if a re-sleeve would help you. They do stretch with time, though never back to the original size of the stomach (though it may seem that way).

Thank you Larra. I would hope that a re sleeve would be done. I would assume, he would assess the test results, whenever I get that done.

Hi & welcome! First- I love your profile pic & 2nd, get rid the I'm a mess siggy!! You are not! :)

I am curious though, when you say modified sleeve- what do you mean? What was done/could be done when you originally had your VSG? I've seen some seriously complicated cases get turned around in the right hands!

Thanks. I love different colored eggs from different breeds of chickens. Kind of like a rainbow.

My insides are a mess. Loaded with rock hard adhesions. Surgery took much longer than expected, because of the adhesions. I had a lapband that erroded into my stomach. Had to have my stomach repaired. Port was infected and the line. could not perform the complete DS safely lap, because of all the adhesions. Went in 6 months later to try to complete the DS, same thing, adhesions grew back, wasn't able to get the DS safely. but, i got a new version of a ds, which isn't a ds. very long story. Needless to say, all the weight hasn't come off. actually my weight is climbing back up. I waited until I had insurance again, which I do, so I'm researching. I know I need a revision, and possibly a resleeve, because there really isn't much restriction as I had the first year. I know the next surgery will have to be done open. I'm not looking forward to that, but if that's what will take to get a complete DS, than so be it. I just want to survive the surgery.

Hello and welcome. I don't know a lot about revisions because I was a virgin DS'er 3 months ago. I just want to wish you the best of luck.

Welcome! :) I have read fantastic things about Dr. Greenbaum over the years. NJ is great state for a revision!

DianaCox,

I got what I never heard of before, didn't agree to it either, and probably not many people have. Bipartition. :( That is why I was asking if the SADI or LoopDS was a bipartition, in another post. If anyone has this, I would love to chat with you.

It is not - not even close. Who did this to you? Gagner? He's the only one I've heard of doing this before.

I think your ONLY choice is to talk to Keshishian in Glendale CA, or Rabkin in San Francisco. And of course it would almost certainly have to be open - both of those surgeons only do complex revisions open, because of adhesions and needing to see the "layout" of what was done. But that's not the issue to be concerned about at this point - it is whether what has been done to you can be fixed at all.

Yes, Gagner.

So Greenbaum would not be able to do the revision? My insurance only covers in NJ. That is the problem.

OMG, if i can't have this fixed....well that's as disappointing as when I was told I didn't get the DS, but....I have something new.

Latest posts

Back