Headed to Utah for Surgery on Friday :) :) :)

Just keep in mind, he doesn't want to reschedule any more than you do. He wants to finish your surgery and move on to the next. So, he will do your surgery unless something very serious prevents him from safely completing. He is very skilled, trust him. Also, he is not a "bait and don't switch" doctor. It would have to be something catastrophic to cause him to not perform the DS and in that case, I think he would close your surgery and wait to talk to you before proceeding.
He said that if he couldn't finish it he would wake me up to discuss it. But if he had to do it open then he would just go ahead with that. I told him I was okay with that..... I know I have a lot of scar tissue. He said he has only had to pull out and and stop a previous band revision twice in the past few years. He was more concerned about my Barretts Esophagus.

I just drank that nasty magnesium citrate. Holy sour grapes Batman! Yuck!! So I'm in the hotel for the night lol. I'll check in again later. Thank you for everyone for all your support.

Amey I was diagnosed with Barretts a year before my DS and it was no issue. I am not sure surgically what he is worried about in that regard. The scarring part/esophagus damage makes sense but I hope you are just fine in that regard and it goes smoothly. Open is certainly not the end of the world so if that happens you will be fine.

@Amey just tell him that RNY is unacceptable to and if possible write "no gastric bypass" on your consent form. There are always judgment calls that can arise during surgery, esp on a revision, so to that extent you will have to leave the rest to his judgment. Fortunately he is an experienced DS surgeon and I'm sure he'll give you your DS if at all possible.

Yup.... I crossed out anything that said gastric bypass and initialed it. I told him if I came down to the bypass or nothing I would rather have nothing.

Amey I was diagnosed with Barretts a year before my DS and it was no issue. I am not sure surgically what he is worried about in that regard. The scarring part/esophagus damage makes sense but I hope you are just fine in that regard and it goes smoothly. Open is certainly not the end of the world so if that happens you will be fine.
I have had it for over 10 years. I get scoped every 3 years.... My last one a little over a year ago showed slight improvement.

I have had it for over 10 years. I get scoped every 3 years.... My last one a little over a year ago showed slight improvement.
At my last scope to check Barrett's the samples actually came back negative. The GI said he must have grabbed tissue from too low the time before so I no longer have Barrett's.

Amey, All the best. Can't wait to hear the good news that you are on the Dark Side!

I hope you are getting some good rest and will be thinking of you tomorrow! Can't wait to hear that all went well.

This was just posted on FB:
To all concerned, Amey is out of surgery, dr says everything went super smooth and just as planned. She'll be in recovery about an hour then they will move her to a room.

Latest posts

Back