Getting DS surgery November 2015. Last minute advice! And opinions

I think you are a bit confused about what a carb is. Yes, all sugars are carbs. There are simple carbs and complex carbs. Simple carbs are stuff like sugars from candy, for example. Complex carbs would be things like potatoes, rice, etc. This is a very simplified explanation and I'm sure someone else will come along with something more, but you get the idea.
While we are all slightly different, the general idea is that we absorb 100% of the carbs we consume, 40 - 60% of the protein, and 20% of the fat. So we need to eat protein first as you know, fat is sort of a freebie, and we limit carbs, esp during the initial weight loss phase.

And I hope you really pin the surgeon down about the cc and whether he's doing a real DS or a loop DS.

I think you are a bit confused about what a carb is. Yes, all sugars are carbs. There are simple carbs and complex carbs. Simple carbs are stuff like sugars from candy, for example. Complex carbs would be things like potatoes, rice, etc. This is a very simplified explanation and I'm sure someone else will come along with something more, but you get the idea.

I had/have been researching the DS since the beginning of the year and for almost all that time, I was under the assumption that potatoes rice, and whole grains were complex carbs. But I recently read that that was 100% not the case: that all rice, all potatoes, all grains (except for farro, quinoa, millet and maybe a few others) were simple carbs. Since Lara absolutely knows her stuff, I looked this up and came upon what I think are a few articles that might explain what are complex/simple carbs:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/27398-list-complex-carbohydrates-foods/
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/24/dining/the-complex-world-of-whole-grains-made-simple.html
http://examples.yourdictionary.com/examples-of-complex-carbohydrates.html
http://bodyforlife.com/library/food-list

I'd like to know how or who got it in my head that the only things that are complex carbs are certain vegatables.

Welcome @Kittykatkris! We are the same age - I too had the DS so I can hopefully have kids (and avoid a high-risk pregnancy) in a few years. :)
Let us know how your meeting with the surgeon went!

For the record, I'm no expert on complex and simple carbs, except that sugary foods (candy and the like) are definitely simple carbs. I'll step back and let others who know more chime in.

Simple versus Complex carbs: https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002469.htm
Then there is the glycemic Index and load: http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/mic/food-beverages/glycemic-index-glycemic-load
In the past, carbohydrates were classified as simple or complex based on the number of simple sugars in the molecule. Carbohydrates composed of one or two simple sugars like fructose or sucrose (table sugar; a disaccharide composed of one molecule of glucose and one molecule of fructose) were labeled simple, while starchy foods were labeled complex because starch is composed of long chains of the simple sugar, glucose. Advice to eat less simple and more complex carbohydrates (i.e., polysaccharides) was based on the assumption that consuming starchy foods would lead to smaller increases in blood glucose than sugary foods (1). This assumption turned out to be too simplistic since the blood glucose (glycemic) response to “complex” carbohydrates has been found to vary considerably. A more accurate indicator of the relative glycemic response to dietary carbohydrates should be glycemic load, which incorporates the relative quality and quantity of carbohydrates in the diet.

Hey everyone!! Sorry for the delay in responding. I have had like 25 drs appointments to get clearance and results so on. And with Thanksgiving and shopping...well you know.
Anyway I have been CLEARED! By insurance they approved it. I am just waiting for the Cardiologist clearance and I am sure I will get it.

So Surgery is on for December 7th. I heard the surgeon telling them to schedule me on a day for the robotic arm?
Just wanted to ask anyone have a robot do some of it? lol
He also said that he wont know for sure how long the common channel with be until he gets in there so that was good. Yes it will be the real original DS. And I am so excited and nervous.

I do have a few questions, can any one send me a link to the threads with all the Vits and Minerals I should get ready? Also the lab work papers?
I have a new PCP and she is wonderful, I told her I am going to need labs and such every 3 months and I will want a more complete list done if she will order them for me, and she said of course.
I just want everything in order, at least the best I can before the surgery!
I appreciate it guys and gals. AND ANY TIPS AND ADVICE would be greatly appreciate we are getting close!

Hey everyone!! Sorry for the delay in responding. I have had like 25 drs appointments to get clearance and results so on. And with Thanksgiving and shopping...well you know.
Anyway I have been CLEARED! By insurance they approved it. I am just waiting for the Cardiologist clearance and I am sure I will get it.

So Surgery is on for December 7th. I heard the surgeon telling them to schedule me on a day for the robotic arm?
He also said that he wont know for sure how long the common channel with be until he gets in there so that was good. Yes it will be the real original DS. And I am so excited and nervous.

I do have a few questions, can any one send me a link to the threads with all the Vits and Minerals I should get ready? Also the lab work papers?
I have a new PCP and she is wonderful, I told her I am going to need labs and such every 3 months and I will want a more complete list done if she will order them for me, and she said of course.
I appreciate it guys and gals. AND ANY TIPS AND ADVICE would be greatly appreciate we are getting close!
I had my original DS surgery via the Davinci robotic tool. It isn't a robot doing surgery on you, it is the surgeon guiding the tools via the system and letting it do the work. A surgeon told me there are two or three main advantages of the Davinci over traditional lap.

1. With traditional laproscpoic surgery the surgeon's view is 2D. The Davinci gives a much bigger field of view and in 3D.
2. The Davinci allows the surgeon to flex hid tools in a 360 degree fashion on all planes(x,y and Z) whereas as traditional only has the ability to go side to side or up and down - x and y. This is huge
3. The surgeon is able to sit down while operating via Davinci and this important for two reasons. First the obvious strain on the body from standing and leaning over for hours. Secondly some surgeons are much taller than their assisting personnel in the OR so sitting at the the Davinci console allows the team to be at the same level. This surgeon told me that was a big advantage.

Regarding the labs and recommended vitamins go to the vitamin forum and the information is there.

Good luck and make sure to tell your surgeon that he/she needs to make your channels based on percentage of total SBL.... Roughly 50% BPL, 10% CC and 40% AL...(will take into consideration other factors as well that could change percentages a bit for the CC and AL...) . Sounds like that is the case but best to verify.

Dr. Sudan uses the Davinci robot and his patients seem to have fewer issues post-op.

Vitamins: start with this list: http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/vitalady-links.11/
Lab slip for DS'ers: http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/generic-ds-lab-order.191/
Or you can read all the discussions and the sticky posts in this forum: http://bariatricfacts.org/forums/vitamins-labs.16/

Adding you to the calendar.

Been following your thread for a while, and I just wanted to extend to you my best wishes for your success!

I had my original DS surgery via the Davinci robotic tool. It isn't a robot doing surgery on you, it is the surgeon guiding the tools via the system and letting it do the work. A surgeon told me there are two or three main advantages of the Davinci over traditional lap.

1. With traditional laproscpoic surgery the surgeon's view is 2D. The Davinci gives a much bigger field of view and in 3D.
2. The Davinci allows the surgeon to flex hid tools in a 360 degree fashion on all planes(x,y and Z) whereas as traditional only has the ability to go side to side or up and down - x and y. This is huge
3. The surgeon is able to sit down while operating via Davinci and this important for two reasons. First the obvious strain on the body from standing and leaning over for hours. Secondly some surgeons are much taller than their assisting personnel in the OR so sitting at the the Davinci console allows the team to be at the same level. This surgeon told me that was a big advantage.

Regarding the labs and recommended vitamins go to the vitamin forum and the information is there.

Good luck and make sure to tell your surgeon that he/she needs to make your channels based on percentage of total SBL.... Roughly 50% BPL, 10% CC and 40% AL...(will take into consideration other factors as well that could change percentages a bit for the CC and AL...) . Sounds like that is the case but best to verify.

Hi Scott! Also, one of the major advantages of the robot is that it minimizes any excessive movements from the surgeon and “self corrects”. This is pretty significant because of the 12-18 inch laproscopic levers working inside your body. 1 inch of excessive movement outside the body can equate to several times that inside the body (depending on the exact point of fulcrum), which in turn causes excessive bleeding, bruising and of course translates to post-op pain.

I very strongly feel that this is one of the main reasons why my post-op pain was so minimal. Plus, I had a GREAT Surgeon!!

Hi Scott! Also, one of the major advantages of the robot is that it minimizes any excessive movements from the surgeon and “self corrects”. This is pretty significant because of the 12-18 inch laproscopic levers working inside your body. 1 inch of excessive movement outside the body can equate to several times that inside the body (depending on the exact point of fulcrum), which in turn causes excessive bleeding, bruising and of course translates to post-op pain.

I very strongly feel that this is one of the main reasons why my post-op pain was so minimal. Plus, I had a GREAT Surgeon!!
My post op from the surgical pain was quick and easy.....the nature of the surgery on my stomach and my GERD made the next few months hard with eating....

Just for full disclosure, we saw an attorney about a potential law suit against the hack who butchered Cameron and then didn't tell us what to do (don't ever believe the frivelous law suit BS, at least not in Peoria, IL because the attorney came to the conclusion we couldn't win, even though the bastard withheld information from us and severed the vagus nerve) and he said they have seen a lot of cases of medical malpractice on patients who had been operated on via the Davinci Robot. That being said, I am not against the Davinci as it does have many benefits.

Latest posts

Back