Gassy evenings?

I think for me it's the incidental lactose I'm getting in my coffee and other things. I fluctuate between bacterial over growth and not. It tends to settle over time for me (if I cut carbs out) and flare up again for weeks after a bad carb binge. I avoid antibiotics like the plague because I've handled them for decades and likely had numerous incidental exposures. I always keep metronidazole handy though. If it gets too bad I dive in with those bad boys but not if I'm just getting bloating.

So are carbs actually dangerous for us (bacteria wise) or does it just make things unpleasant. I have a new found fear of c diff and am paranoid I can get it ways I logically know I cannot.

Well no not exactly. Carbs cause me diahorrea and bloating which scours my bowel and disrupts the natural bacterial balance. This causes an increase briefly and sometimes not briefly of villious hypertrophy (death of the finger like protrubences that trap minerals and vitamins and water etc from our normal bowel transit that grow normally and merrily out ofour bowel wall) which in turn increases malabsorbtion and in me...bowel transit. This becomes a cycle which causes an even greater local trauma (oh my poor poor arsehole) and a change in the acid balance (bile salts out my arse anyone). This is not C-Diff. By not eating like a cretin I don't put myself into the shit tail spin. I know I can't do lactose in any volume, I know I can't eat processed grains in the form of flour, I know that sugar itols will floss my arse....but I still eat the feckers.

Day 10 of being compliant after a five day carb holiday including being a pisshead in Edinburgh.

I experimented with a vending machine hot chocolate and look like an oompa loompah today. I know not to touch that shit again. The baker at work made me a loving cupcake of banana, protein powder, gluten free flour, walnuts and butter cream. I am in hogget heaven and have no arse disaster side effects. It comes down to balance. That or getting a new arsehole re-bored and a pair of depends. I'm going for balance. I'll let you know how I'm getting on!

It could be the protein powder for me. I have one shake at about noon every day. If it is, it is late in its reaction. I get gassy later in the evening like around 7 or 8.

I get the same thing. As someone else said, I back up my day to 2-3 hours and that is where it comes from. I'm pretty sensitive to carbs, so any of them gives me earthquake strength gas. Some things that trigger me are Taco Seasoning, certain veggies, complex car (and definitely simple carbs) certain types of zero carb protein powders, sugar substitutes, etc.

A food diary might help. Cut your diet back to baked chicken, then start adding foods. You might see a connection.

For me, that's the sign it's time for a round of Flagyl.

Well, that post was from 7 months ago - it had already been quite a while since my last round of Flagyl. I THINK that's because I started on a new probiotic regimen about a year ago, and it has worked pretty well up to now (I take one Primal Defense Ultra in the AM, and a Culturelle at night). But I have been gassy as hell at night for weeks now, and I finally decided to bite the bullet. I'm taking 250 mg of Flagyl twice a day. That's the lowest dose - sometimes it doesn't work. I have 500 mg pills (I tell my PCP that I need 500 mg x 3 day, so I have extra hanging around), and I choose how to use it. Always 10 days, and as I said, I try the lightest dose possible to start.

And I want to be cleared up by Thanksgiving - including to drink (if you don't know, please be aware that drinking with Flagyl can have VERY unpleasant side effects - like drinking with Antabuse). 2 days down, 8 to go.

I will also be curious to see if it helps with the bathroom issues I've been having - my morning routine has expanded to 3-4 hours of pooping, and still not feeling "done" - followed by uncomfortable "need to go" moments during the day that produce next to nothing. I just realized I only went poop twice this morning - this is a great sign!

Well, that post was from 7 months ago - it had already been quite a while since my last round of Flagyl. I THINK that's because I started on a new probiotic regimen about a year ago, and it has worked pretty well up to now (I take one Primal Defense Ultra in the AM, and a Culturelle at night). But I have been gassy as hell at night for weeks now, and I finally decided to bite the bullet. I'm taking 250 mg of Flagyl twice a day. That's the lowest dose - sometimes it doesn't work. I have 500 mg pills (I tell my PCP that I need 500 mg x 3 day, so I have extra hanging around), and I choose how to use it. Always 10 days, and as I said, I try the lightest dose possible to start.

And I want to be cleared up by Thanksgiving - including to drink (if you don't know, please be aware that drinking with Flagyl can have VERY unpleasant side effects - like drinking with Antabuse). 2 days down, 8 to go.

I will also be curious to see if it helps with the bathroom issues I've been having - my morning routine has expanded to 3-4 hours of pooping, and still not feeling "done" - followed by uncomfortable "need to go" moments during the day that produce next to nothing. I just realized I only went poop twice this morning - this is a great sign!
So I posted about this originally, and after the responses I did some playing around to try to find the culprit and if I ate ZERO carbs for the day (grilled chicken all day) I was toot-free, until an hour or so before my evening/nighttime potty run. So my thought is that it was a buildup of the small amount of carbs throughout the day. I also started probiotics and that helped cut down my potty routine to once in the morning and once in the evening, unless I eat unwisely.

So that was great, esp when I started my new job a few months ago, because I almost never had a smelly DS toot or potty emergency situation during the day. But for the last few weeks, I've been having to go, or at least toot, almost everyday, around midday. I've backtracked again to see if it was something I was eating or drinking in the morning, and it's not. I eat extremely cleanly during the day- eggs for breakfast, usually hard boiled, some form of meat and cheese for lunch, jerky and nuts in the late afternoon, after the issues usually occur. I tried (unhappily) going without coffee and that didn't change anything. So I'm wondering if it's time to check out flagyl. I just hate taking antibiotics!

Also, I've been eating way too many sweets at night, so I feel like that could be the trouble, but would it really bother me 12-14 hours later? That seems unlikely.

Well, it is now the morning of day 5. The evening gas situation is nearly done. I've had two mornings (today will be the third if it holds up) of VASTLY improved "completion" within a couple of hours and two poops. I'm going to risk going out to brunch this morning, followed by a movie. This is a VERY good thing!

Latest posts

Back