Gassy evenings?

brooklyngirl

Yankee gone south
Does this happen to you guys? And if so, why?

I go to the bathroom 2-3 times every morning and then I'm good all day (unless I eat something carby or that disagrees with me) but every evening around 7ish I start getting bloated and gassy. When I'm home, it's not a big deal, but when I'm out for dinners or social events, it's a big pain in the ass. I take gas x when I know I'll be out and about at night, but it doesn't really help much, and it doesn't seem to be affected by what I eat, it happens even if I have practically zero carbs for the day. Thoughts?

YES! This is happening to me too! Almost every night. I am eating less than 50 grams of carbs a day with zero simple carbs. I have found one for sure culprit that made it worse, cauliflower. Such a bummer because I love cauliflower! It is not just that because it happens way more often than when I am having cauliflower. I have added an additional (different) probiotic taken after dinner. I want to see if this helps.

Generally, I back up from the gas episode about 3-4 hours and THAT is what caused it. I say generally because there are hidden carbs in lots of foods. Like Campbells' Tomato Soup? FLOUR. Whoodathunkit? And cauliflower is a cruciferous vegetable, @newanatomy , and those give normies stinky gas. There was a guy awhile back who was making his Boudin with cauliflower, wondering why he STILL had gas issues because he switched from rice to cauliflower. LOL

If you can't find any carbs with the "back up 4 hours" theory, then a change in probiotics may help. If that doesn't do it, it might be time for a course of Flagyl. Knock on wood, I've not been there yet, but will be some day. I've had excellent results reliably with Florastor. It's more pricey than the other probiotics, but it's the only one I buy now, since the others are a waste of money for me.

Hmmm. This has been going on for quite a while and I've done the back tracking to try to see if it's food related and I really don't believe it is. There are plenty of things I've identified that make it worse, but it's always there. I guess I'll start with the probiotics and if that doesn't work I'll go the flagyl route.

As for the probiotics, I feel like people have said they sometimes get worse symptoms before they get better? Or am I remembering wrong?

@Spiky Bugger bugger said that probiotics make her worse and that kept me off them for a while, but it turns out that they do help me. As you're having issues I'd try them. You should be able to tell pretty quickly what difference they make.

If you're OK with yogurt maybe you could try one with live cultures in it to see if that helps, rather than shelling out for a bottle of probiotics without first knowing how you do.

@Spiky Bugger bugger said that probiotics make her worse and that kept me off them for a while, but it turns out that they do help me. As you're having issues I'd try them. You should be able to tell pretty quickly what difference they make.

If you're OK with yogurt maybe you could try one with live cultures in it to see if that helps, rather than shelling out for a bottle of probiotics without first knowing how you do.
Oh, yeah! Never go by MY experience...try it yourself! I just put that out there to show that YMMV.

In fact, I may be the only person on the planet who is SURE she got thrush and itchy, itchy all over skin from s. Boulardi, another popular probiotic. But I can develop a yeast infection...almost anywhere...when I hear the word "antibiotic," so actually taking yeast was really a no-no for me. I was unaware that s. Boulardi is a yeast...but once my tongue got icky and that taste started and I kept scratching my arms and legs, I read the label...duh!

I guess I mention my misadventures so that people don't assume that what cures one person's problems will cure theirs, to.

Yogurt is one of the things on the list that give me tummy troubles, even WITH a double dose of lactaid pills. Bums me out!

I KNOW I can track mine back to earlier in the day. I have NO problems eating very clean in the morning but late afternoon to evening is where I let the carbs in.

Now, remember, I count all carbs so I SEEM to eat more than typical but I do a mental running number every day (DECADE habit) and I tend to stay in the 100-150 grams range.

Last edited:
Hmmm. This has been going on for quite a while and I've done the back tracking to try to see if it's food related and I really don't believe it is. There are plenty of things I've identified that make it worse, but it's always there. I guess I'll start with the probiotics and if that doesn't work I'll go the flagyl route.

As for the probiotics, I feel like people have said they sometimes get worse symptoms before they get better? Or am I remembering wrong?
Yep, me too! Mine is not particularly stinky either. Well, sometimes it is but, not as the norm.

What kinds of activities do you typically do in the several hours before the gas starts? I'm wondering if there might be any kind of, um, mechanical issues involved.....Like maybe something you do (like do you always exercise at a certain time?) where you might be swallowing more air?

It's a far fetched thought, but.....

YES YES AND YES!!!! lol. It makes me look like a liar lol. Cos I will tense up to toot(just in case)...cos Im still not sure yet if pain = toot or shart lol. And the hubz looks at me like "ok, wheres the stash of cookies chubby!" lol (not mean like, but I did explain to him that carbs cause gas)...and when I've eaten nothing but protein and under 20g of carbs and Im farting like a drunk builder after a huge curry....it's hard to know why.

No answers for you, but I feel your pain. Thankfully in my marriage we are equals and dude can fart, woman can fart lol.

Oh, yeah! Never go by MY experience...try it yourself! I just put that out there to show that YMMV.

In fact, I may be the only person on the planet who is SURE she got thrush and itchy, itchy all over skin from s. Boulardi, another popular probiotic. But I can develop a yeast infection...almost anywhere...when I hear the word "antibiotic," so actually taking yeast was really a no-no for me. I was unaware that s. Boulardi is a yeast...but once my tongue got icky and that taste started and I kept scratching my arms and legs, I read the label...duh!

I guess I mention my misadventures so that people don't assume that what cures one person's problems will cure theirs, to.

Thats good to know. I also get thrush from the word antibiotic. I just had my oral antifungal once I was sure I was done being killed my antib's. Good lord. Sooo itchy and RAW. But yeah, being sensitive SUCKKKKSSSS!!!

Latest posts

Back