Fish Oil for Dry Eyes

Ever Changing

I have severe dry eyes. In addition to Rx and OTC eye drops, my eye doc wants me to add fish oil and specifically recommended one of three brands.

Since we poorly absorb oil, I'm thinking it is not worth even trying. And I have no real interest in adding even more pills to my daily routine.

I found some old posts on the topic of fish oil, but wondering if anyone had any new thoughts.

I bought some Coromega. It's still in the box - some kind of squeeze tube of emulsion. I'm afraid of gagging on it. I'll report back when I get the nerve.

Last edited:
I have had severe dry eye for a few years. I discovered that my symptoms become worse as my Vit A starts to dip. It does not have to be below normal for symptoms to rage. It is not that severe when I keep my Vit A levels in the mid range or higher. After DS surgery my Vit A dropped like a rock and dry eye symptoms returned. I was in pain and could not see clearly. Got the Vit A injection and in 4 days my eyes were "normal" on exam (they are never really normal). My eye doc was shocked by the improvement. Not that an eye doc would ever give me a Vit A injection, but I digress.

Is the dry eye new for you or have you had it awhile? Have you found thedryeyezone dot com site yet? I have punctual plugs in both my lower lids which helped tremendously. When my Vit A is at a mid-range level I "only" need eye drops 3-4 times per day.
I used Coromega https://www.amazon.com/Coromega-Omega-3-Supplement-Squeeze-90-Count/dp/B000FFQATA?th=1
when I had the RNY but have not gotten back into it since having the DS. Let me know if you need any other dry eye info or resources.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Yes. What SHE ⬆️ said. My Vit A was within normal range, but my eyes were starting to dry out...again. I got a Vit A injection and the problem resolved almost immediately.

I use Restasis. I have dry eye as well as corneal epithelial dystrophy -- my corneas would stick to my eyelids when I slept and when I opened my eyes in the mornings, a layer of my corneas would painfully rip off. I used Restasis as well as fish oil before DS then post-op stopped fish oil as, well, we don't absorb it. I have noticed zero difference without fish oil so I doubt it was really doing anything.

Just an odd observation. I read about plain old castor oil being great for eyelashes and eyebrows. It's cheap so I got some. I went with the good stuff, organic/cold pressed. It is supposed to make your eyelashes grow and every night I put a tiny bit on my brows and lashes. I used it as an oil treatment on my hair once too but that's another story. Don't know if it works on lashes yet but it does moisturize your eyes while you sleep.

Thanks to all for your comments.

I've had severe dry eyes for more than 20 years. I have some autoimmune issues, including Sjogren's syndrome. Dry eyes and dry mouth are hallmarks of Sjogren's. I had punctual plugs a few times over the years, but they never helped.

I've been on Restatis since before it was available by Rx (my eye doc had it made at a compounding pharmacy where the cyclosporine was in an olive oil base -- wow, that stung the eyes like a bitch for a couple of minutes). As of yesterday, he suggested I try Xiidra instead.

Like @DianaCox mentioned, Coromega seems gag-worthy.

I just had lab work and my Vitamin A was on the low side. I'll increase my dose and see if it goes up in 3 months when I have lab work again. @Clematis - thanks for mentioning that the fish oil didn't seem to help.

For those of you with dry eyes, a compress like https://www.amazon.com/Thermalon-24342-Dry-Eye-Compress/dp/B004385RPS/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1504963967&sr=8-3&keywords=dry+eye+compress&th=1 helps, but is not convenient so I rarely remember to use it. I think you can make your own compress with rice in a bag, but I have Amazonism, a condition causing anxiety if I haven't bought anything from Amazon in a couple of days.

Last edited:
This is not about dry eyes but about Coromega. When I first read about them I went to their site and signed up for the free sample.
Within a day I started getting 20-25 spam emails a day most of which revolve around weight loss and supplements.
I feel pretty secure in saying they will sell your email address. Do not go to their site and give them your email.
Months later I am still get spam daily.

Thanks to all for your comments.

For those of you with dry eyes, a compress like https://www.amazon.com/Thermalon-24342-Dry-Eye-Compress/dp/B004385RPS/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1504963967&sr=8-3&keywords=dry+eye+compress&th=1 helps, but is not convenient so I rarely remember to use it. I think you can make your own compress with rice in a bag, but I have Amazonism, a condition causing anxiety if I haven't bought anything from Amazon in a couple of days.

The dry eye compress works, but so does a damp washcloth or hand towel placed in the microwave for about 12 seconds. I am a Restasis gal as well. It sort of works as in "better than nothing." Is the new med your doc is prescribing the one Jennifer Aniston shows herself "eye love" (stupid commercial)?

Once the furnace goes on I run a room humidifier in the bedroom and home office and that helps, particularly after sleeping. I almost did not try punctual plugs because I have heard they do not work and fall out, but mine have stayed in place for about 2 years. I lost one plug after DS surgery and had that one replaced 6 months ago. I would encourage anyone with dry eye to try the plugs before rejecting the idea.

Before my last Vit A injection, the eye doctor said my next option was to use my own blood to make eye drops since I was needing drops every 45-60 minutes. See Autologous Serum article here.

If you can find someone to prescribe it and give it, get the Vit A injection. It will work more quickly than increasing your oral Vit A.

Latest posts

Back