First "educational" DS class

BeccaHertel

I posted this on OH, as well:
So today I had my first educational NUT class. I was expecting it to be a lot worse than it actually was! The class was made up entirely of DS patients (2 revision to DSers) which was nice. The educational paperwork was also geared toward the DS life, as apposed to the RNY life (surprising, I know!). But there were a couple RNY-esque comments that made me raise my eyebrows.

First off, I am having to do liquids for 3 weeks pre-op and 3 weeks post-op. For the pre-op, they required we buy BariEssential shakes (1 tub per week) which came to a whopping $225 for 3 tubs. They gave us a taste test of the chocolate and vanilla types, which was a plus. Usually you're stuck with whatever you think sounds best. Also, they recommended a brand of chew-able vitamins called Celebrate Bariatric Vitamins. Anyone heard of those? So after the 3 weeks of post-op liquids, we get to switch to "full liquids", which includes cream of wheat, scrambled eggs, and blended tuna/chicken salad. That was the first eyebrow-raising moment. The NUT said "make sure to mix your tuna salad with LOW FAT mayo... Um, no thank you!

The 2nd thing she mentioned is that "dumping is common with the DS and RNY", which I know for a fact it's not. I'll keep my pyloric valve, please :)

Anyways... I honestly can't complain. It was pretty informational and it was nice to spend a couple hours with a few other DS gals. Pretty impressed with Dr. Kim's pre-op regimen thus far.

Quick question for the vets- I asked the RN what length common channel Dr. Kim uses and she said "I think 75". Is that about average? I expected maybe for her to say 100cm or 125cm, but 75 seems pretty small. Opinions?

Mine is 75 and I like it just fine. In my case (essentially a "Hess method" measurement), that's just over 10% of the total length of my small intestine.

Celebrate vits are overpriced, overhyped, underdelivering crap. Their pre-op diet slop is highway robbery. It's another income stream for their practice, and I have considered opinions about that, as in I'd very likely fire a surgeon who pulled that kind of thing. I have the brains and experience with diet and nutrition to find my OWN damned "diet drinks," if I were to have to use such crap. Grrr.

I agree. I would have made a fuss about having to buy the 3 giant tubs of BariEssentials protein shakes, but they were actually pretty tasty. I was surprised.

I would NOT buy their protein drink. You can do better at GNC. Ditto the Celebrate Vitamins. Those are what my surgeon's office sold me, and my vitamin A totally tanked on it, because their "DS Essentials" contained NO Vitamin A, whatsoever. That's right. "DS Essentials" by Celebrate contained no vitamin A, which is an essential ADEK for a DS patient post-op. So my A tanked, and I'm still working hard to get it up to a healthy level, taking 150,000 a day of dry A.

Your surgeon is selling products, same as mine did. They re-packaged bariatric protein packet foods and sold them to me as the ONLY thing I could eat pre and post-op.

See if you can buy your own liquid protein at GNC instead. And then ask if you can buy your own vitamins as well.

What is the protein source of BariEssentials? Is it whey CONCENTRATE? Or is it whey ISOLATE? Because lots of us pop up lactose intolerant post op. And if that happens, you will only be able to tolerate the ISOLATE protein, not the concentrate.

Sheanie: It's whey protein isolate. I didn't buy the vitamins. They recommended them, but I knew better. Especially when she said "These are ADEK multi-vites so you don't have to take separate supplements". ...OMG!
I plan to drink his drinks for the 3 weeks pre-op, but I'm going to go my own way afterwards. I'm buying the Vitalady sample packs for my post-op so I can decide what I like after the DS :) So glad I did my research.

I have a 100 cc. Some DSers I know have 75; some 125; some 100 and even a few 150. There seems to be quite a range. I might discuss the length with the surgeon comparing weight loss vs. vitamin absorption and/or going to the bathroom. See what he thinks would be best in your case.

I have a 100 cc. Some DSers I know have 75; some 125; some 100 and even a few 150. There seems to be quite a range. I might discuss the length with the surgeon comparing weight loss vs. vitamin absorption and/or going to the bathroom. See what he thinks would be best in your case.
Mine is 175 cc. It may be a big factor in what vitamins I have to take based on my labs.

Latest posts

Back