DS Wisdom as I understand it.

Razbry

I spent some time pulling everything I knew about the vitamin rules and various tidbits of DS information that seemed important (at least to me). I did not include any information about iron supplementation as I cannot tolerate it (I get infusions). Anyway, if it helps someone, great. If those of you who are way better informed than I notice something off, please let me know. My brain has a tendency to leak DS information, so I find this a handy reminder for myself.

Attachments

• Mineral Vitalmin rules 14.docx
    21.6 KB · Views: 33
I admire what you've done here.

You can overthink this. I recently started a two dose per day system, with everything in the morning and calcium and vitamin k at night. I take zinc and iron on different days, because my labs were off until I kept them on separate days.

My philosophy is to keep it simple unless your labs are off. The important thing is to take them every day.

Another idea is to keep a list of your vitamins/minerals, doses, and manufacturers to hand out at all your medical appointments, it make sure it quicker to give your history when you are taking so many.

Thanks for the info. Please keep leaking DS info, because I'm taking in everything everyone is saying.

I admire what you've done here.

You can overthink this. I recently started a two dose per day system, with everything in the morning and calcium and vitamin k at night. I take zinc and iron on different days, because my labs were off until I kept them on separate days.

My philosophy is to keep it simple unless your labs are off. The important thing is to take them every day.

Another idea is to keep a list of your vitamins/minerals, doses, and manufacturers to hand out at all your medical appointments, it make sure it quicker to give your history when you are taking so many.

Question: You and a lot of other vets seem to take you supplements only twice a day. I would love to do that, but how does that work when most people seem to need 2,000 +/- calcium and one of the few universally accepted "rules" seems to be to limit calcium to 500/dose and that it interferes with a lot of other supplements. How then can you take everything you need in two doses?

I don't take 2000 mg of calcium. I am worried about the risks of calcium supplements and I take a lower dose than others. There is a controversy about it. http://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/2/5/505/htm

My reading is that the benefit of calcium to the bones has been exaggerated. https://www.researchgate.net/profil...l_Practice/links/554252500cf24107d3946bc0.pdf

But once you have DS, some of this is doesn't mean a lot. Don't do what I do. Do what you believe is right. I concentrate on food calcium. I always have yogurt (150 mg) and usually have milk (300 mg). My afternoon snack is usually a hunk of cheese (75-100 mg) I take my Centrum Senior (300 mg) in the morning. Then, I take 500 mg in supplements every night. I have had some fractures, so you can say I am wrong, but I know postmenopausal
women who have faithfully taken calcium who have had fractures and hip replacements who are younger than I am.

It will be frustrating to find a list of nutrition facts that are without question or that have definite relevance to DS. Nutrition science in medicine is not good and nutrition science in DS is almost nonexistent. Lots of recommendations, not so much unchallenged evidence. I've learned a lot here, but I recognize that there is limited proof of anything in nutrition. I'm doing the best I can to weigh risk and benefits, with a family history of heart disease and kidney failure. Your calculation may be different and you may end up doing better than I have.

Question: You and a lot of other vets seem to take you supplements only twice a day. I would love to do that, but how does that work when most people seem to need 2,000 +/- calcium and one of the few universally accepted "rules" seems to be to limit calcium to 500/dose and that it interferes with a lot of other supplements. How then can you take everything you need in two doses?
Short answer...you can't do it all in two doses. Follow the results from your labs and bone density tests. If they indicate bone loss and in-balances...do what it takes to make it right. I take 6 doses/day...it's just a habit now.

Bottom line, I follow my labs. My calcium is mid range normal, D is slightly above normal. and PTH is 19 last time it was tested less than 6 months ago. So calcium twice a day works for me RIGHT now. If I need to up the dose I will.

Latest posts

Back