Don't loose anymore weight?

I am not just losing without effort. I work very hard for my two pounds a week. I watch what I eat and how much. I could easily eat a lot more than I do. Plus, I work out 5 days a week, either walking for about 1 hour 45 minutes or an hour on the elliptical. I wish that I was like you.

Jesus, Mary & Joseph. Whenever someone told me to "stop losing" or "gain some weight back", I'd look at them and give them the silent stare. Like, how in the hell am I supposed to do that? I eat non stop as it is. You lose what you're going to lose, then you bounce back. I don't think there's much I could have done to stop my weight loss. I did eat Reese's Peanut Butter cups when I dipped down to my all time low. I can't stand the smell of them now.

My surgeon never gave me a goal weight. In fact, I've never seen him again since pre-op. He doesn't see his patients post-op, instead the PA's follow them. Funny thing, Dr. Foote complained to me at one of my first appts with him that he never saw his DS patients. He said it like it was THEIR failing, when it actually is his failing. One of the reasons I do not refer anyone to him. I refer to Dr. Kemmeter instead, who I wish had done my surgery.

As has been often said here, YMMV.

My surgeon told me to lose about 10 % below goal then bounce back. That is what I hope to do. I am still in the "will I be one of those people who won't reach goal" phase.

You know I think everyone is like that at some point. Ive been calculating amount I have left and trying to figure out can I make it before the window of opportunity closes. I think everyone believes they will be the person who broke their DS.

Go as low as you can without becoming underweight. Bounceback is real.

And those people talking are used to you being the biggest girl in the room, not the smallest. Smile, nod, and then work it the best you can.

My family and friends keep telling me don't loose anymore weight. A short fry like me should weigh between 91 to 128 and 128 is the very high end of normal. So 148 ain't gonna get it. plus bounce back. DR K never gave me a goal weight did anyone else get a goal weight from him?.
View attachment 212
Wow Charris. You look GREAT actually. In fact - I want the dress, the shoes and the shades. A lovely ensemble.

As for your family telling you not to loose more... Are any of them obese? Perhaps there's some (unintentional) jealousy going on? Don't loose any more weight because you're making me look entirely too fat... You know what I mean? LOL

I've had folks tell me that I've lost too much weight and I'm 40 pounds away from onederland at the moment. I was never given any specific number or goal to get down to because I sorta refused it. Before surgery - I was always been obsessed with the weight NUMBER. When I had the gastric bypass though - I decided that I should be concerned more about my physical & mental well-being than the actual weight number. Having lost 200+ pounds - I actually feel fantastic. Better than I have in years. And I'm still *officially* considered obese by BMI terms.

Anyway -congrats on your success. You truly do look fabulous!

J.

Last edited:
Congrats Charris I think you look wonderful! Most everyone here goes through this surgery for their health first and looking good is a perk but feeling healthy is the best.! I"d go down as far as I could and still feel healthy. The less you weigh the more you can do and the healthier you will be.

Dr K never gave me a goal weight either. He actually told me my body would find it itself. It would stop losing when it's suppose to. (My story). Anyway I reached my lowest 6 months after surgery. I no hover a 10 pound range of that. He told me thT would happen too. I would lose a lot the gain about 10 and that's where I would need to stay at a healthy BMI. Sooo, like I have learned in the very short time of being here, everyone stories and journeys are different. Just find your happy place.

@Charris You look fantastic and if where you are is YOUR happy place then stop losing. If you are concerned about bounceback, want to lose more and ride the DS as long as you can then do that. While all your family and friends have their own intentions for offering input, some maybe good intentions others maybe not, it is your journey.

Honey you look great. How do you feel? I say you be you, live your life, love on that grandbaby, and let the other folks do their thing. Let their comments roll off your shoulders and not even enter your ears. Healthy and happy. Savor it.

I lost my weight from the top down. When I reached my low weight, my face was haggard and I almost looked sickly, Friends/family thought I had lost too much weight. Once I had six months in at my new weight, things had shifted around and I settled into my new skin. The weight stayed low, but redistributed, some of it finding its way back to my face, result - I looked much healthier. Friends/family had by then gotten used to the new me and no longer thought I was too thin. And then I gained a 10 pound bounce back and definitely look healthy now!

Both my surgeon and my pcp want me to stop loosing. I actually had someone tell me I looked emaciated, more than once. She is the tiniest person I know. The most common remark I get is, "Dee, you are melting. When are you going to stop?" I think I have stopped. I have been hovering at the same weight for about 3 months now. It's funny how men only remark about how great I look. They don't seem to notice the wrinkles or paleness or whatever.

I didn't have a goal weight. My first goal was to get under 200 pounds. I thought 180 might be an okay weight after being in the 380's for several years. After that, I just figured I would see what would happen. I didn't expect to get to the 140's. I am more excited about wearing Medium size shirts, Size 8 & 10 dresses & pants, and a 38 bra, than I am the number on the scale. I am convinced I would loose 20 pounds instantly, if I could get my belly apron skin and excess arm and leg skin removed.

Btw Charris, you look fabulous!

Fact is, I am a very happy saggy baggy old lady, and I don't care who tells me I am too skinny, look older, look sick, or blah blah blah..... I know where I was, (a diabetic with constant oozing leg sores, hardly able to move, constantly in pain, totally unhealthy "younger looking" self ) and where I am now, (non diabetic, healthier, walking, active and happy wrinkled Grandma self ) and that is all that matters. I just smile and say, "Thanks for noticing."

Last edited:
Ya know @DeeDeeDS brings up two really interesting points- women say she looks emaciated and men say she looks great, and also that she's a size medium or 8-10 and people are saying she's too thin. Would ANYONE ever say think that about a woman walking down the street who wears a size medium? Never ever. It goes to show that it's really about how they saw us before and that it goes against their perception of what we "should" be (ie- the jolly fat person or some other stereotype).

As for the men's vs. women's opinion thing, to me, it kinda shows that sometimes those comments are driven by jealousy or some other ulterior motive, something that people (women in particular) may not even realize they feel, but something deep down below the surface. That's my take on it.

Wow Charris. You look GREAT actually. In fact - I want the dress, the shoes and the shades. A lovely ensemble.

As for your family telling you not to loose more... Are any of them obese? Perhaps there's some (unintentional) jealousy going on? Don't loose any more weight because you're making me look entirely too fat... You know what I mean? LOL

I've had folks tell me that I've lost too much weight and I'm 40 pounds away from onederland at the moment. I was never given any specific number or goal to get down to because I sorta refused it. Before surgery - I was always been obsessed with the weight NUMBER. When I had the gastric bypass though - I decided that I should be concerned more about my physical & mental well-being than the actual weight number. Having lost 200+ pounds - I actually feel fantastic. Better than I have in years. And I'm still *officially* considered obese by BMI terms.

Anyway -congrats on your success. You truly do look fabulous!

J.

Thank you for your complements. My entire family is obese both sides. I have a huge family my mom had 11 siblings and dad had 9. The siblings had tons children. So everyone is obese there may be 5 or 6 people who are not.

Thank you for your complements. My entire family is obese both sides. I have a huge family my mom had 11 siblings and dad had 9. The siblings had tons children. So everyone is obese there may be 5 or 6 people who are not.
Makes perfect sense, they probably feel like you're not going to be "one of them" anymore, and that makes people feel uneasy. It's not really right or wrong, I feel like it's part of human nature.

Latest posts

Back