Do you know the way to San Jose? [San Jose CA | Jun 21, 2015]

Sounds like it will be fun, hopefully there will be more like this in the future, I know I'm going to plan a get together for May 2016 if all goes well with my surgery. Sorry I cannot attend given lack of finances and it will only be a month after I have had my surgery.

I got a reservation for Sunday night but Sat. was full up. not sure if I will drive there Sunday morning or stay somewhere else (Sacramento?)

hoping for SUN!!

I got a reservation for Sunday night but Sat. was full up. not sure if I will drive there Sunday morning or stay somewhere else (Sacramento?)

hoping for SUN!!
Call back every day or so - someone is bound to cancel for Saturday.

I'd offer the couch, but the dogs can't be in the house with the cats.

I think that's a great time frame. If I had to guess, being on vacation and moving slowly, we will probably be there by 2 pm or so. Hard to believe, but its really just right around the corner at 5 weeks away. :D

I'm not getting to Cali for my surgery until the 24th. So wish I could come and meet all of you wonderful ladies. And even the not so wonderful ones. ;)

Ok California experts... Half Moon Bay, Santa Cruz or Carmel - which of these areas would you take a family of four to stay for a week to be beach bums, since it looks like that may be the excuse that will get me to the party? (We will have to fly into SFO or SJC and will be in Santa Clara on the way out, so south of San Francisco is best.)

IMHO - Santa Cruz. The Boardwalk for the kids. Drive up the coast to visit Half Moon Bay and Ano Nuevo one day; drive south to Monterey to the Aquarium and 17 Mile Drive and Carmel another day. Here is a Google Maps link that goes like this, to give you an idea of mileage
http://tinyurl.com/ky39j3n:
  • San Jose Airport (SJC)
  • My house (2 miles)
  • Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk (there are lots of hotels, motels and guest houses around there) (about 30 miles from my house)
  • Half Moon Bay
  • Ano Nuevo
  • Santa Cruz
  • Monterey Aquarium
  • Carmel
  • Santa Cruz
  • Santa Clara (which is also very close to our house - we are 2 blocks from the city limits on the southeast side of the city)

ETA - and holy shit it would be WONDERFUL to see you again and meet your family!

Last edited:
Thanks! Santa Cruz is definitely centrally-located. In addition to visiting with you, I have a cousin in Half Moon Bay, girlfriend in Aptos, and colleague with a summer place in Carmel, so trying to see them all, if possible. If we stay in Santa Cruz, would we be able to take the kids to day camp on Stanford Campus or would that commute be horrendous?

Santa Cruz to Stanford would be a pretty awful commute, though it would be somewhat of a reverse commute in the summer - expect it to take over an hour each way. There is a carpool lane on 280, but the majority of the drive over 17 from Santa Cruz to 280 is a very tense drive - two narrow, windy lanes in each direction, through the mountains, constant changes in the speed limit because of curves. And when there is an accident, traffic can stop completely. I hate the drive over 17 and I live here.

Your kids should spend every free moment at the beach anyway.

Alas, it looks like I'm trying to book too late for Santa Cruz. We'd be paying 5 star prices for 3 star rooms! We live a block from the beach here, so we'll catch the sun and sand at home another time and for this trip, set our sights further north and make it a San Francisco city trip. Kids have never been, so it will be fun! :)

Supposedly, Mark Twain said "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco." We have microclimates here - the weather in SF is MUCH MUCH colder, especially in June, than down here in San Jose (50 miles from here). It is foggy and windy and you will need LAYERS.

Averages for San Francisco in June
June in San Francisco means lovely warm, summer days. [They are lying liars! SOMETIMES it is warm, but not for long.]
The average daily temperature is 14.7°C, which can reach highs of 19°C and drop to lows of 11°C on average.
There is also an average of 11 hours of sunshine per day in June.
On the warmest of days you will be able to wear shorts, but be sure to pack light layers as you may need them for the days when it gets a bit cooler.
The chances of rain in June are dramatically reduced as compared to the amounts expected in the rainy season, as the average drops to 3mm over 2 days.
However, the evenings in June can experience extreme drops of temperature, as suddenly the evening fog can come in, which is very cold.
Make sure you pack warmer clothes for the evenings, which can get as cold as the weather experienced in January. [This is the truth.]

If you want to do the Alcatraz boat tour, BOOK NOW. It fills up fast (Kirmy and David couldn't get on it).

Boo, I'm going to be in Santa Rosa the next week (wknd of the 27th) for a wedding. A break from inlaws in Santa Rosa along with seeing the real actual faces of people that I already know I like from here would have been great. Sigh. Maybe next year.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back