Diet / food questions

Kristaz

So is there a "recommended" amount of fats and carbs per day? I know high protien and fat low carbs but what's is the goal?

Also, I assume that like bypass you are not supposed to drink while eating?

So is there a "recommended" amount of fats and carbs per day? I know high protien and fat low carbs but what's is the goal?

Also, I assume that like bypass you are not supposed to drink while eating?
You can absolutely drink while eating. I do all the time. You have a pyloric valve so you aren't going to flush food through. That being said, early on with a swollen stomach the volume is reduced so you might fill up your sleeve quickly.

Regarding targets. 30/60/90 for protein 30 grams at 30 day, 60 at 60........ After you are able to get to 90 you want to try to aim for the 90-125 range protein goal for a lady.

Personally I don't subscribe to eating a specific amount of fat. Just eat foods like cheese, chicken, steak , hamburger, bacon, etc. You will get plenty of fat...you don't have to avoid fats but I don't believe you need to go out of your way to eat extra fat unless you are constipated.

Carbs, early on 50 grams a day or less is recommended (anymore at this point will probably make your miserable so it is pretty easy to do..you won't want much carbie food at this stage). After that you will find what your body is comfortable with and for some that is the 50-100 gram range and for folks like me I can eat 250 grams of carbs a day with no issues ( I eat somewhere between 100 -200 daily)...but I also get 250 or more of protein on most days

Yeah. I am 5 weeks out now and starting to be able to eat more and focusing on my protien but I know people talk a lot about making sure you get enough fat in. And I know carbs are the enemy! Lol. And I am not eating many now I just want to make sure I stay an track.

You will find that I take the stance that no food is our enemy. Life is about balance. Early on eating too many carbs can physically hurt with gas and or diarrhea, and it gets in the way of needed protein since you have limited space for food...so you need to fill with protein and not carbs. That is why the 50 gram carb target exists, IMO.

yes some believe you need to eat x amount of fat everyday and have a goal. I follow Dr K's advice and just eat foods that are DS friendly at that gives the amount of fat we need without trying to add extra fat. Adding extra fat ends up with oil slicks for me. That is a sign I am eating too much, and you can have oil slicks and solid stool at the same time....the oil just goes around it and out of your system quickly (yeah kind of gross).

A fat free for all right now will probably leave you with some outstanding poop stories. Take it easy in the beginning. Protein is what you care about. And you hate, loathe, and despise carbs. You will find your happy place in time! But don't avoid fat. Use real everything... Nothing fat free.

You can absolutely drink while eating. I do all the time. You have a pyloric valve so you aren't going to flush food through. That being said, early on with a swollen stomach the volume is reduced so you might fill up your sleeve quickly.

Regarding targets. 30/60/90 for protein 30 grams at 30 day, 60 at 60........ After you are able to get to 90 you want to try to aim for the 90-125 range protein goal for a lady.

Personally I don't subscribe to eating a specific amount of fat. Just eat foods like cheese, chicken, steak , hamburger, bacon, etc. You will get plenty of fat...you don't have to avoid fats but I don't believe you need to go out of your way to eat extra fat unless you are constipated.

Carbs, early on 50 grams a day or less is recommended (anymore at this point will probably make your miserable so it is pretty easy to do..you won't want much carbie food at this stage). After that you will find what your body is comfortable with and for some that is the 50-100 gram range and for folks like me I can eat 250 grams of carbs a day with no issues ( I eat somewhere between 100 -200 daily)...but I also get 250 or more of protein on most days

Dang @DSRIGGS . You eat 125 Of protein and day how in the heck you become malnourished

What the heck are you eating every day? A calf
I do like Veal!!!! :p

Breakfast 1
4 jumb eggs 32 grams
1/2 cup shredded Mexican 4 cheese blend 10 grams
Slice of oatnut toast with crunch peanut butter and grape jelly 10 grams
4/5 slices of bacon, or sausage patty or ham/turkey meat in eggs. 15-18 grams
Coffee with half/half and splenda couple grams ....I have about 283 cups :D
60 -75 grams

Breakfast 2
Leftover meat or something if have anything and a yogurt or a sunny up egg on oatnut toast with sausage patty and slice of Monterrey jack cheese

25 - 40 grams

Lunch
Burger or some kind of sandwich (mostly meat and cheese), some soup or some cottage cheese.
50-60 grams

Snack
yogurt and protein bar
15-25 grams

Dinner
16 oz steak , pork chop, Fried chicken breast, thigh and wing, grilled chicken, half a pizza (mainly just toppings but some thin crust) 100 -120 grams
Veggies
Potatoe with butter sour cream 4-5 grams

@DSRIGGS you seriously have malabsorption issue. S*** That's more than I ate pre gastric bypass and pre DS.

Do you feel you are eating ALL DAY?
Edit Auto correct

Last edited:
@DSRIGGS you seriously have malabsorption issue. S*** That's more than I ate pre gastric bypass and press DS.

Do you feel you are eating ALL DAY?
Not really. I eat often but not constantly.

I am chewing on some sunflower seeds now, but cracking the shells and spitting....so I will do this for an hour or so but not much ate.

and @Charris I truly do believe I am eating so much because my body knows that I need it. After my revision and I was absorbing better and gaining I was getting full much more quickly. It is only after my hernia decided to come back and I started feeling like shit again that I stopped filling up quicker.

Latest posts

Back