Constipation Club

I am always glad to have a bit of your extensive knowledge even if, it is inconvenient to my current plans. I am going to take this to my PCP and try to come to some agreement on moving forward.

I'm trying a new approach. I'm up to 6 stool softeners a day. I take them with my calcium. So far, it seems to be flowing OK without the Miralax. The Miralax is smoother, but it comes out with just the softeners. According to everyone I've spoken with and my colo-rectal doctors stool softeners ARE safe for long term use.

I'm trying a new approach. I'm up to 6 stool softeners a day. I take them with my calcium. So far, it seems to be flowing OK without the Miralax. The Miralax is smoother, but it comes out with just the softeners. According to everyone I've spoken with and my colo-rectal doctors stool softeners ARE safe for long term use.

I already take 6 stool softeners a day plus, two doses of MiraLax.

Yay for smooth pooping!

the time - I had a LISphincterotomy in August 2015 to correct the original fissure that had been resistant to all medical treatment over the summer. Within 10 days of the LIS, I was in the ER with a massive abscess that ruptured after admission. The CRS I was seeing elected to not do anything to clean out the abscess, just let it drain, and I was left with a fistula and the abscess kept recurring. I've had multiple incision and drainages (I&D), both in office and under anesthesia. I recently had my fourth EUA (exam under anesthesia) and we finally got to the bottom of the abscess. I saw the (4th I've had) CRS last Friday and he agreed that we could schedule the fistulotomy for first week of September. It's been a long road.

My generic advice to all people now: Take care of your booty!!!

Not sure how I missed this note earlier, but OMG ouch! Hope September comes quickly and that you have adequate pain management. Hang in there and feel better soon!

I already take 6 stool softeners a day plus, two doses of MiraLax.
Have you or any of you other folk tried Milk of magnesia (liquid or caps)? I take a couple of them a day (caps), about 5 stool softeners and every other day a slightly less than full dose of Miralax (that stuff gives me the heeby-jeebies) and some magnesium pills (the kind that makes you go, I forget which one it is right now and I'm too lazy to get up and go look. I'm terrified now, too, of getting all jammed up like I did a couple of weeks ago.

Have you or any of you other folk tried Milk of magnesia (liquid or caps)? I take a couple of them a day (caps), about 5 stool softeners and every other day a slightly less than full dose of Miralax (that stuff gives me the heeby-jeebies) and some magnesium pills (the kind that makes you go, I forget which one it is right now and I'm too lazy to get up and go look. I'm terrified now, too, of getting all jammed up like I did a couple of weeks ago.
Are you able to eat much fat yet? If so up the fat as much as you can.

I am able to eat slightly more than I was (food in general) and what I do eat I try to either dip in butter or ranch, etc. but the amount I am able to eat is still pretty small. I am still working on the reflux issue too. Nina at Esquerra's office told me to take two pills of a morning and 1 at night now. Seems to be helping some. I asked them if I should try a different brand of PPI but they keep pushing Nexium. I'm thinking of taking a swig of coconut oil along...think that would be ok?

I am able to eat slightly more than I was (food in general) and what I do eat I try to either dip in butter or ranch, etc. but the amount I am able to eat is still pretty small. I am still working on the reflux issue too. Nina at Esquerra's office told me to take two pills of a morning and 1 at night now. Seems to be helping some. I asked them if I should try a different brand of PPI but they keep pushing Nexium. I'm thinking of taking a swig of coconut oil along...think that would be ok?
I don't think it will hurt

I take 40 mg of protonix twice a day. If you are getting OTC meds you are probably getting 20 mg. I would look into prescription PPI like a protonix and in max dose. You can also do zantac along with the PPI for instant relief.

I take MOM in a pinch because it works relatively quickly, but not sure if it's a good idea to take it regularly. My understand is it can cause electrolyte imbalances. Basically, the safest one is stool softeners. They're also cheapest and easiest. I'm leaning toward increasing those rather than taking other stuff, unless it gets bad.

Latest posts

Back