Constipation Club

Bagaof4

Sadly signing in as a new member of the Constipation Club. Had my normal poop the morning of surgery (Wednesday) but nothing since. Now is day 4 of epic DS poos backed up in my body and the idea just freaks me out. Been taking stool softeners since I left the hospital, staying hydrated and cut pain meds in half as a precaution. Guess it wasn't enough. Don't want a fissure, don't want to develop hemorhoids... Just was to poop! I am not even feeling the pain of my new hip surgery.

Where else but here could I talk to someone on a Saturday night about backed up poop, who totally 'gets it' and feels my pain! @Marquis Mark is my savior and I am so grateful! Thank you, Mark! Had a slight bit of action through the night (I do mean slight) so hoping that today brings relief!

Last edited:
Sorry you are a current member. BTDT myself. Getting back on routine with my fat intake helped a lot, time helps, stool softeners...hell I had to do an enema while still IN the hospital from my back surgery because my constipation was SO painful.

Hoping you get fast relief.

I bet you get going now that you had a little action. Honestly stool softeners never dud anything for me so I actually take a dulcalax if I get backed up a little because I would rather a little short term discomfort and then get it all out. Best luck for happy pooping!

Glad the pain control is good with the hip.

Oh, you poor thing! Of all the side effect I've experience with the DS, the constipation/fissure thing is by far the worst. You know how you have imaginary sarcastic conversations with yourself while driving (i.e., "Oh, sure, buddy, don't worry about the turn signal." Or, "is there a particular shade of green you're waiting for?") Well, I'll admit I've had plenty of those while sitting on the commode trying to coax it out.

Anyway, sent you a PM. Hang in there.

Thanks NA and Susan! Good to know. I've never dealt with this before.
It was so scary. I felt like I was going to explode, was afraid to eat, was taking grandkids to lunch, a movie (and I was grocery shopping while they watched movie). I will never forget being in Wendy's and not being able to sit down, I just sort of hovered around the table and went back and forth to the bathroom a bunch of times.

Sorry to read of your suffering. The only times I have had challenges with constipation have been when I have had surgeries and used pain medicines. (Codeine in particular caused me to have a rectal prolapse). I'm hoping your pain will be significantly reduced shortly and once painkillers are no longer needed, the constipation will go away.

I'd caution against long term use of Miralax, but it might be very helpful in the short term as might magnesium hydroxide and/or senna. (Miralax is Polyethelene glycol which has been evidenced to break down both on the shelf and in the human body into its precursor component, ethylene glycol, a known neurotoxin, which is highly absorbable. It also contributes to the formation of urinary calcium oxylate. There over 14,000 adverse events now reported to the FDA.)

Sorry to read of your suffering. The only times I have had challenges with constipation have been when I have had surgeries and used pain medicines. (Codeine in particular caused me to have a rectal prolapse). I'm hoping your pain will be significantly reduced shortly and once painkillers are no longer needed, the constipation will go away.

I'd caution against long term use of Miralax, but it might be very helpful in the short term as might magnesium hydroxide and/or senna. (Miralax is Polyethelene glycol which has been evidenced to break down both on the shelf and in the human body into its precursor component, ethylene glycol, a known neurotoxin, which is highly absorbable. It also contributes to the formation of urinary calcium oxylate. There over 14,000 adverse events now reported to the FDA.)

I've tried stool softeners (4/day), up to 50 grams of fiber, extra fluids (inc. hot liquids), Milk of Magnesia, Magnesium Citrate and Magnesium Oxide tablets. Unfortunately, of all of those, Miralax works the best, by far. Senna and Dulcolax are stimulant laxatives not to be taken long-term from what I've read.

I've experimented with reducing iron and calcium and, for me, it's the calcium and Jarrow I have to take (3,000 mg/day total) that really causes the problem and forces me to take Miralax. Some people say it's OK for long-term use. Others don't. I'm in a Catch-22: Living without Miralax is like giving birth each morning. But without it, I'll become calcium deficient and my PTH will go up even more (it's already 77). I can usually get by with half a dose of Miralax a day, but any less and I'm in trouble.

If anyone has any ideas, I'm VERY receptive...

Stool softeners, miralax, milk of magnesia (liquid and pills) I took all of the above to break up my concrete block! I won't go into great detail but I will say plastic gloves were used and lots of Vaseline to help things slide! It's the worst.
I carry examining gloves in my purse. On our way home for Gulf Shores, we stopped at a little gas station/convenience store. When I finally got done, there was a line of 10 people. I hope no one had diarrhea and was praying for the bathroom hog (me) to get out before they went like Mt. Vesuvius. I've added magnesium citrate and fiber, but the improvement is so slight, it's hardly worth mentioning. My doc gave me a 3-day poop collection test and I'll spare you the details on they were collected. I get the results next week.

Susan and K9 you are brave souls! I wouldn't dare leave the vicinity of my toilet (not that I can go far anyway). I'm thinking I have contributed to this by my diet. I have been careful to get in my protein but not so much my fat. Was nauseous the first couple of days and then had such little appetite. I never eat much fiber and have never been constipated so now that I quit the pain meds I'm going back to my full DS diet tomorrow. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day!

Wouldn't blame yourself if I were you. I think the most likely cause is the surgery itself. The anesthesia slows everything down, including the digestion. Add to that the morphine drip and the lack of exercise and you have a constipation Trifecta. It's very common with surgeries. All surgeries.

Tomorrow will be better, I'm confident.

Latest posts

Back