Constipation Club

Susan and K9 you are brave souls! I wouldn't dare leave the vicinity of my toilet (not that I can go far anyway). I'm thinking I have contributed to this by my diet. I have been careful to get in my protein but not so much my fat. Was nauseous the first couple of days and then had such little appetite. I never eat much fiber and have never been constipated so now that I quit the pain meds I'm going back to my full DS diet tomorrow. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day!
For all of us!

Interesting re: Miralax. I'm another of the folks who rely on it. At least two doses per day. No oral iron, only Jarrow bone-up. Had a fissure May 2015 and hope that my scheduled fistulotomy in Setember 2016 finally brings resolution to that. I live in constant fear of constipation.

Take in as much fat as I can, colace with every dose of vites, at least two doses of Miralax daily, and still feel like I live in the edge.

I am so sorry you are having to deal with that @Jbandmmomma.
I have read how horrible fissures are and the constipation issue alone was enough to scare me to death. I do hope the fistulatomy brings you relief. Why so far out???

On a lighter note, I finally have relief!!!!! So happy to welcome back my DS soft serve!!! (I know, TMI)

Yay for smooth pooping!

the time - I had a LISphincterotomy in August 2015 to correct the original fissure that had been resistant to all medical treatment over the summer. Within 10 days of the LIS, I was in the ER with a massive abscess that ruptured after admission. The CRS I was seeing elected to not do anything to clean out the abscess, just let it drain, and I was left with a fistula and the abscess kept recurring. I've had multiple incision and drainages (I&D), both in office and under anesthesia. I recently had my fourth EUA (exam under anesthesia) and we finally got to the bottom of the abscess. I saw the (4th I've had) CRS last Friday and he agreed that we could schedule the fistulotomy for first week of September. It's been a long road.

My generic advice to all people now: Take care of your booty!!!

OMG! All of that sounds just horrific. You have really humbled me with my 3 day bout with constipation! I do hope this last procedure will be just that... The LAST and you will have relief. It's no way to live!
:hugs:

Sorry to read of your suffering. The only times I have had challenges with constipation have been when I have had surgeries and used pain medicines. (Codeine in particular caused me to have a rectal prolapse). I'm hoping your pain will be significantly reduced shortly and once painkillers are no longer needed, the constipation will go away.

I'd caution against long term use of Miralax, but it might be very helpful in the short term as might magnesium hydroxide and/or senna. (Miralax is Polyethelene glycol which has been evidenced to break down both on the shelf and in the human body into its precursor component, ethylene glycol, a known neurotoxin, which is highly absorbable. It also contributes to the formation of urinary calcium oxylate. There over 14,000 adverse events now reported to the FDA.)

Damn! Now, what!?

Interesting re: Miralax. I'm another of the folks who rely on it. At least two doses per day. No oral iron, only Jarrow bone-up. Had a fissure May 2015 and hope that my scheduled fistulotomy in Setember 2016 finally brings resolution to that. I live in constant fear of constipation.

Take in as much fat as I can, colace with every dose of vites, at least two doses of Miralax daily, and still feel like I live in the edge.

Me, too!

Yay for smooth pooping!

the time - I had a LISphincterotomy in August 2015 to correct the original fissure that had been resistant to all medical treatment over the summer. Within 10 days of the LIS, I was in the ER with a massive abscess that ruptured after admission. The CRS I was seeing elected to not do anything to clean out the abscess, just let it drain, and I was left with a fistula and the abscess kept recurring. I've had multiple incision and drainages (I&D), both in office and under anesthesia. I recently had my fourth EUA (exam under anesthesia) and we finally got to the bottom of the abscess. I saw the (4th I've had) CRS last Friday and he agreed that we could schedule the fistulotomy for first week of September. It's been a long road.

OMG! That sounds horrible. I hope this will all be behind you soon!

Damn! Now, what!?

I did a bit of research. It seems most of the concerns were coming from using it long-term in children whose digestive systems aren't fully developed. Some of them developed neurological issues, but the evidence wasn't such that it could be ties to Miralax, per se. There were a few batches about 8 years ago where they found higher concentrations of some chemical than allowed. but that was attributed to the manufacturing process, rather than the active ingredients itself. There have been no such incidents in the last 6 years.

14,000 adverse events is a lot, but relative to the millions of people who take it, statistically minor.

I'm watching it, but not compelled to stop using it. The alternative will make your life unbearable, cause fissures, fistulas, intestinal disorders, hernias, electrolyte imbalances, etc. It's kind of like the DS, the good outweighs the bad.

Without going down the rabbit hole too much, it's important for anyone using Miralax for beyond the 7 day maximum duration Bayer puts on the label to research and draw informed risk/reward conclusions about Miralax (PEG 3350).

Just want to make people aware there are serious concerns that should be taken into account. There is a vocal pediatric anti-miralax community, but adverse effects span all ages. There is a current clinical trial at Mayo "A Study of the Potential for Polyethylene Glycol (Miralax) to Metabolize into Toxic Oxalate" that should yield additional information.

Without going down the rabbit hole too much, it's important for anyone using Miralax for beyond the 7 day maximum duration Bayer puts on the label to research and draw informed risk/reward conclusions about Miralax (PEG 3350).

Just want to make people aware there are serious concerns that should be taken into account. There is a vocal pediatric anti-miralax community, but adverse effects span all ages. There is a current clinical trial at Mayo "A Study of the Potential for Polyethylene Glycol (Miralax) to Metabolize into Toxic Oxalate" that should yield additional information.

I do appreciate your concern. Thanks for pointing that out. I really hope the results show that Miralax is basically safe for long-term use, because, without it, I think a lot of us are in a heap of doo-doo.

Yay for smooth pooping!

Dang Becky that is ridiculous. I hope that you are taken care of this time. The surgeon should have fixed it properly when he cleaned the abscess so I am so sorry you have had to endure all that. Good gosh lady you need a break.

Best wishes

I am always glad to have a bit of your extensive knowledge even if, it is inconvenient to my current plans. I am going to take this to my PCP and try to come to some agreement on moving forward.

Latest posts

Back