Commercials that make you yell at the tv...

Spiky Bugger

MetLife commercial. Adult daughter learns that aging dad fell off a step ladder and then "gently" approaches mom asking if she's considered "final expense insurance" aka life insurance.

Really?

Poor old fart dad does something that could break a leg (or tear a meniscus) and the daughter wants to make sure she has enough money to buy his casket?

What a girl. (She should have asked if they had insurance to cover at home help if they needed it while he recovered. She didn't...so now SHE will have to take time off work to take care of them....dummy.)

Do you have a favorite hated commercial?

The Lapband commercials - but they seem to have stopped.
The built-in commercials for low fat crap in The Biggest Loser, which I cannot stop watching even though I yell at the TV throughout the show, every time.

I don't watch commercials if I can avoid it. Makes my husband crazy because I constantly change channels so I don't have to watch commercials!

I hate that commercial! And somebody actually got paid for writing something so offensive, and the company that paid them thought it was a good idea.

There is one in the UK that drives me nuts. It's an advert for financial services. It starts with the mum in the kitchen on her laptop, obviously stressing out...kid walks in ready for school or big sports game or something, reaches in the fridge and grabs a huge bottle of pop. Cut scene. Mom is then ironing in the living room when kid comes home from said game. Kid drops all of his shit all over the floor and the mom says, if you don't pick that up, you aren't going on holiday with us. He screams REALLY???? YES!!! And the little shit runs out of the room without picking up his shit!!!!

Soooo many things piss me off about this. Mom in kitchen. Child grabbing a 1.5 litre bottle of pop. Mom doing ironing. Kid being a slob. Mother not following through with discipline lol. When it comes on, I have to change the channel because its only like 30 seconds, but it winds me up so tight! lol. Sexism, sugar pushing, and lackadaisical parenting all in one advert!!!! (In our house, I am the commander. I say what I mean and mean what I say, and if you want to be spoiled and rewarded, you will do as asked)

More.

Every Liberty Mutual car insurance ad. Most of the "main characters" are bimbos...none of the bimbos understand that (unless they are carrying only state minimums) they are probably "using" car insurance every minute of the day...even when they are not driving. I don't mean to defend auto insurance company practices/tactics...but if my Lexus ain't out there when I go to the garage later on...my insurance company will pay dearly, because I "use" my insurance 24/7.

Consumer Cellular ads. Because the goofy old people stereotypes that are out there are not just not enough. We really are a demographic that travels the country trying to prove that we are a phone company's Number One Fan. Ask @DianaCox and @southernlady why they bought RVs and they will, as soon as they return from their merry-go-round rides, tell ypu that I know whereof I speak.

Any ad that slaughters English. There are rules, you know. "Less" and "fewer" are not interchangeable. "Much" and "more" are not interchangeable. We use the OBJECTIVE CASE pronoun after a preposition. So, "between you and me" is correct grammar and "between you and I" proves your lack of understanding of the grammar of your native language. And, "whom?" When someone uses "whom" instead of "who" in order to sound smart, they fail.

(BTW, I like Obama. But when people, on either side of the aisle, insist that he is a great speaker, they are wrong. His grammar errors--surprising for someone with his educational background--are distracting. And when delivery distracts from content, your message has not been received as well as it might have been.)

Last edited:
Consumer Cellular ads. Because the goofy old people stereotypes that are out there are not just not enough. We really are a demographic that travels the country trying to prove that we are a phone company's Number One Fan. Ask @DianaCox and @southernlady why they bought RVs and they will, as soon as they return from their merry-go-round rides, tell ypu that I know whereof I speak.
I'll stick to my cellular company (we use AT&T) and have had great service everywhere we've gone. Sometimes it takes having the MiFi on to get the service but that is okay since it uses the same data plan as the phones. Only way we had service coming down I81 in Virginia (where Diana lost her coverage).

We bought a Wilson booster for our Southwest trip, and couldn't see that it did ANYTHING (if there is no signal Zero times anything is still Zero). We sent it back and they sent us a new one, but we haven't tried it out yet.

We have T-Mobile, plus I have an AT&T hotspot, and both of us are due for new phones. I think we're going to stick with T-Mobile, but we may need an option for satellite, depending on how things go when we actually go full time.

As for commercials - currently, those opioid constipation commercials are making me squint at the TV, both because of the topic, and because how goddamned many people are relying on constant opioid consumption to live, and why don't they already know about these meds from their doctors - unless the commercials are aimed at millions of illegal opioid users???

As for commercials - currently, those opioid constipation commercials are making me squint at the TV, both because of the topic, and because how goddamned many people are relying on constant opioid consumption to live, and why don't they already know about these meds from their doctors - unless the commercials are aimed at millions of illegal opioid users???
Those make me want to SMDH!

Latest posts

Back