If you can stand another Sue Story…

Spiky Bugger

…this one is a doozy…way too long, but a doozy. Or is it “doozie?”

So, I knew this cop. He was a wild character, “a legend in his own time” kind of guy. We got along well and enjoyed tormenting each other. When I met him, he was recently divorced and more recently remarried, to another cop. I don’t know the details, but decisions were made…I don’t know by whom, but was later told that Wife #2 was the evil-doer who had cut off contact between my colleague and his family. (Of course, he was a big boy and even had a gun or several and I certainly couldn’t be told to cut off contact with MY kid…so I don’t know.) But he eventually became estranged from his first family, which included a son. There was no reconciliation before his death about 30 years ago.

The son had a daughter who, when in college, approached her late grandfather’s old co-workers, including me, asking for stories about the grandfather she was never allowed to have a relationship with. We connected; I told her “appropriate” stories; we went our separate ways. A year or two ago, we said hello again on Twitter.

Yesterday, I wrote and asked if the details I’m about to relate were true. She said, “Yep.” So…here:

Some of Wife #2’s out-of-state family members called police asking for a “welfare check” because they hadn't heard from her in a month or two. Cops arrived, spoke to Wife #2’s daughter (from a previous marriage), who lived in the same home, and noticed inconsistent answers to their questions and the telltale “strange odor.” They put daughter in the back seat of their car, got a search warrant, and found Wife #2‘s body in the freezer. No arrests were made at the time.

Assuming her death was not caused by someone, it’s not like there weren’t sufficient funds to properly deal with her remains. Wife #2 received benefits as my colleague’s pension beneficiary and her own retirement pension. The two pensions totaled about $230k per year, plus benefits. Makes a body wonder if those funds were direct deposits to an account the daughter had access to.

ANYWAY, if indeed Wife #2 was the evil-doer who caused my online friend to not know her grandfather, who died when the granddaughter was maybe five or six years old, how ironic that Wife #2’s daughter would decide to keep her mother “on ice,” literally and figuratively, for whatever bizarre reasons. And I hope my old buddy didn’t live his last days under the care of his step-daughter and her boyfriend, who also lived in the house. And I’m kinda glad that the granddaughter was, in fact, estranged from such lovely people.

I should have shared this story just BEFORE Halloween but I didn’t know about it.

Last edited:
I just don't even know what to say to this one, except that while we don't know wife #2's cause of death from the above details, I am confident she didn't put her body in the freezer post mortem. So hopefully an investigation has ensued.

I just don't even know what to say to this one, except that while we don't know wife #2's cause of death from the above details, I am confident she didn't put her body in the freezer post mortem. So hopefully an investigation has ensued.

Really?

I went the other way, and assumed that Wife #2 was not a homicide victim. I wonder.

Thinks that make you say hmmmm. This sounds like the preface to one of those Investigation Discovery murder shows. If those walls could talk.

My goodness. I hope the authorities figure out what happened.

I do, too. But I don’t know what I’m thinking/hoping happened. Every article I read adds one more piece to the puzzle. She was VERY functional into the 1980s, even a technical advisor on a major tv series. Then she retired as a cop in 1990, age about 57. He died in 1992 and she changed the locks on the house and cut off all contact with “extended family,” meaning HIS relatives…even “kids” who considered her their grandmother.

Then HER daughter, perhaps cognitively impaired at least a little, no apparent employment, moved in around 2010. They were both reclusive. Wife #2 was seen getting in/out of car, daughter driving. Daughter had a boyfriend who moved in at some point.

Neighbor/HER family members with whom she had contact said in September that it had been about four months since they had contact with her. IF Wife #2’s pensions were direct deposits to an account the odd daughter had access to…in just four months, those deposits totaled $77,560.32.

If she died of natural causes, there should still be SOME accountability for those who put mom in the freezer, ESPECIALLY if they were spending her money. And, WHO DOESN’T KNOW that eventually dead bodies in freezers are discovered? I mean, that’s probably where they got the idea. Unless…she was a murder victim.

for a long time now I've been thinking Spiky Bugger "needs to write a book". but a script would also be appropriate.

and now I want to know what happened! there must have been an investigation, right? what's the rest of the story?!
It’s probably ongoing. The body was found only six weeks ago. They’d have to thaw her out, do an autopsy, run drug tests, run a forensic accounting, etc. So, stand by?

But meanwhile, here’s a cute little dessert:

MrMiniSue will ask his 11-year-old daughter (he has custody every other week) when she SWEARS something is not in her room and that she looked EVERYWHERE) "What are you willing to give up if I go in there and find it?" She gets nervous and chooses to go look again.

There were good parenting techniques I completely overlooked! Poor MiniSue!

Oooh I love a good mystery. Especially when the victim is not a nice person.

My answer to the “I can’t find” whine was usually “well sounds to me like it’s time to clean your room.”

I lost my glasses in our RV. Finally found them a day later outside under my chair.

My sunglasses are currently lost in the RV again, but in my defense, it’s at the shop.

Latest posts

Back