Birth Control

CaitlynR

Aspiring Wizard
Any advice on type of birth control?

I don't think there is anything that works for me. I took a type of pill in early adulthood but went off when I was diagnosed with high blood pressure (which was early on, maybe 20). Early on with my husband we experimented with different condoms but there is no variety that doesn't take pretty much all the sensation away for both of us. I am a bit scared of IUDs due to stories of it falling out, puncturing something, getting pregnant anyway, or being felt by the man during sex. Plus, I am depression-prone (previous episodes and on meds) and most of the hormonal options seem to have a risk of depression relapse.

Besides in the very beginning, in the 13 years of marriage we have never used birth control. My only pregnancy was with the help of a Reproductive Endocrinologist with the help of medications and IUI, for combined factors (problems with reproduction from both me and my husband). I have always had it in the back of my mind that one day a pregnancy could just happen as unlikely as it is, but hasn't. I know when working with the RE he said at least at the time just from my husband's situation it would be extremely unlikely to get pregnant without help. I also have PCOS with little to no ovulation and unpredictable cycles.

I know I can't rely on our subfertility/infertility as a birth control method after surgery. Even now, a month before surgery is scheduled, we had sex recently and I'm thinking crap, I am going to have to test prior to surgery just in case. I just have no idea what can work for us. Hopefully blood pressure won't be as much a concern post op, but the mood concerns plus not being thrilled about IUDs and condoms there still looks like no good options.

I know I might have to suck it up and get a IUD or something....but anyone have any ideas?

Two methods are needed as no ONE method (other than abstention or lack of baby hotel) is 100%.

I understand barrier methods are not the same but you/your husband will need to suck it up. A barrier method is one, another method discussed between you and your gynecologist (or PCP) is also required.

Oral is not a good option as that requires going thru your gut to be absorbed.
http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/got-pregnant-2-months-post-op-my-story.5654/

I have a Mirena IUD. This is my fourth one - first at 18, and I'm 35 now. Have you looked at the non-hormonal IUD options?

They can cut the strings very close to the cervix so your partner won't feel them. The rest I'd encourage you to research. I feel IUDs get a bad rap based on issues from the 70s. For me, the Mirena resolved a long, heavy and painful cycle.

I too have PCOS and have been on multiple different kinds of birth control. IUDs are not a good solution for us PCOSers. We need the 3 weeks of hormones and an off week to shed the lining of our uteruses....according to my reproductive endocrinologist. I have used the nuvaring for years without any problems. Bonus is you don't have to rely on the GI tract to absorb any hormones it get's absorbed through the mucosal lining of the vagina. You are likely to become EXTRA fertile as little at 10% weight loss can cause a PCOS to be a fertile myrtle. Two forms of birth control should happen.

I used non-hormonal IUDs for years and never had any issues with them and my partners never felt them either. My Canadian friends recommended this form of birth control to me when I was in my 20’s. I think on the Internet negative IUD stories aren’t reflective of how often complications occur as very few people with positive results document their experiences online. Multiple gynecologists told me the problem IUDs were manufactured back in the 70’s and were re-engineered by the 80’s; therefore, those old issues aren’t a factor anymore and haven’t been for a long time. IUDs are a safe form of birth control.

Latest posts

Back