Away for awhile, some updates and a question

Dave0168

So I see everyone's been quite active here since I was around last.

I'm right in the middle of student teaching at the high school; career change at 47 (yeah I know, am I nuts!?!?) but I really like it for the most part. Planning every day and college course work keeps me occupied in the off hours from actual teaching, usually until late at night, hence my absence.

So to update my progress:

I no longer own ANY of my original clothes save for socks and shoes. I never would have thought I would have the problem of clothes getting too big so fast. I'm burning through the sizes I've gotten at the thrift.

So far I've lost a total of 190# from a high of 419 back in Nov of last year. Most days I feel way too skinny.

Eating has mostly normalized but many days I find I'm having to salvage protein at the end of the day because I just can't get it in during the day. Still make almost 90 gm /day though on many days.

The smell from my bowels still stupefies me (and anyone else within a 20' radius). I've mostly got it down to what foods cause it but damn, it often gets so bad I'm sure it would even gag a maggot.

Otherwise, things are going well for the most part, except one thing that has started to crop up.....

I have noticed and had 2 family members recently comment on a look of a malnourished "bloated" stomach. It kind of sits up higher than where my normal dunlap was. It definitely seems to be there more than it's not lately and I'm not so sure it's food or gas related. BM's are normal (well DS'er kind of normal) based on input, gas as well. They don't seem to reduce with farting either too much.

So I'm wondering if this is just another part of the process of rearranging things internally.

Has anyone else seen this?

Congratulations on your progress.

This does not sound unusual to me. Is there pain? Is it just an all day/everyday appearance?

Hi Dave. Good to hear from you.

A couple comments. It is natural to feel too skinny but as long as your labs are okay, you are good.

90 grams a protein a day, really? Are you nearly a year out? If so as a guy you need to be getting 150 gram a day.

Clothes, yep I have a closet full. I haven't donated them yet because my brother is very close to pulling the trigger and getting a DS and he can use them.

You are doing well so congrats, but please try to get in more protein. For a dude 90 grams is simply not enough.

Hi Dave, been wondering where you’ve been and have been curious about your progress. I know it started out kind of slow for you, but, it sounds like you are kicking butt!

Sorry, but, I have no advice on the "bloated" Stomach. I'm sure a lot of our expert Vets will though.

Scott is right about the protein, 90 g is not enough for you this far out. It took me a while, but I’m up to 120–140g per day now. I found a TON of cool little ways to sneak in an extra 10g's here, 15 there throughout the day (instead of having another fourth or fifth meal), and it really adds up. One example of many, is, I make my own beef jerky and eat an ounce or two all day long, just suck on it and eat it. SUPER convenient and easy and 1oz of jerky is around 15 g’s. Anyway, Congratulations!...and keep us posted as time allows.

Hi Dave, been wondering where you’ve been and have been curious about your progress. I know it started out kind of slow for you, but, it sounds like you are kicking butt!

Sorry, but, I have no advice on the "bloated" Stomach. I'm sure a lot of our expert Vets will though.

Scott is right about the protein, 90 g is not enough for you this far out. It took me a while, but I’m up to 120–140g per day now. I found a TON of cool little ways to sneak in an extra 10g's here, 15 there throughout the day (instead of having another fourth or fifth meal), and it really adds up. One example of many, is, I make my own beef jerky and eat an ounce or two all day long, just suck on it and eat it. SUPER convenient and easy and 1oz of jerky is around 15 g’s. Anyway, Congratulations!...and keep us posted as time allows.
another easy protein boost is nuts (cashews, peanuts, pistachios, almonds,etc.) and seeds (sunflower or the ones I don't care for like pumpkin and flax).

I get a huge portion of my daily protein in the morning with my 4 scrambled eggs with good 1/2 cup cheese. That is a good 40-45 grams of protein there and I also have a piece of almond butter and jelly oatnut toast for another 10. So I get 50-55 grams with breakfast 1. Now I know most don't have my volume, but even if you get half of that you are doing well.

Bloating could be from carbs. I have been chewing gas-x like candy since my revision and it really helps that situation.

another easy protein boost is nuts (cashews, peanuts, pistachios, almonds,etc.) and seeds (sunflower or the ones I don't care for like pumpkin and flax).

I get a huge portion of my daily protein in the morning with my 4 scrambled eggs with good 1/2 cup cheese. That is a good 40-45 grams of protein there and I also have a piece of almond butter and jelly oatnut toast for another 10. So I get 50-55 grams with breakfast 1. Now I know most don't have my volume, but even if you get half of that you are doing well.

Bloating could be from carbs. I have been chewing gas-x like candy since my revision and it really helps that situation.

I do a similar thing for breakfast also. I mix 3 X-Lg egg whites, 1 whole egg with yolk and TWO ounces of parmesan cheese which has ELEVEN grams of protein per Oz., (the highest of any cheeses). I sauté up an fresh onion/jalapeno mix and then add the eggs and cheese and drink a 12 Oz glass of the high protein Borden’s milk with it and that makes a total of SIXTY… 60, grams of protein to start off my day with. I do this every single day and it never gets old, I love it.

I also have blocks of parmesan cheese cut in to 1 Oz cubes and will eat one or two or three a day adding 11 g’s each time I eat one throughout the day, and again, you’d be surprised how quickly it all adds up!

I do a similar thing for breakfast also. I mix 3 X-Lg egg whites, 1 whole egg with yolk and TWO ounces of parmesan cheese which has ELEVEN grams of protein per Oz., (the highest of any cheeses). I sauté up an fresh onion/jalapeno mix and then add the eggs and cheese and drink a 12 Oz glass of the high protein Borden’s milk with it and that makes a total of SIXTY… 60, grams of protein to start off my day with. I do this every single day and it never gets old, I love it.

I also have blocks of parmesan cheese cut in to 1 Oz cubes and will eat one or two or three a day adding 11 g’s each time I eat one throughout the day, and again, you’d be surprised how quickly it all adds up!
I use shredded 4 cheese mexican blend. Buy the jugunda bag and just grab a big ole handful and mix it in.

Like you, one would think we would tire of the same breakfast everyday but I don't either. I sometimes do it for dinner as well. The last day of liquid diet before my scopes I was craving my breakfast meal so bad that I thought I was going to explode.

@Dave0168 if the "bloating" seems to drop away when you lay down flat on your back, it could be a hernia. Just a thought.

It's good to see you back here again and doing so well. Work on your protein intake and keep up the good work.

And weight never comes off where you want it too! Maybe you just need to give it time to even out a bit? Sounds like you are doing great!

And I agree, more protein!

Hey everyone, thanks for the replies.

I know I haven't been good on the protein. Seems I have gotten sick of the eggs/chicken/turkey/yogurt thing all the time. I do need to try for more protein especially in the morning (although I still love the greek yogurt).

I am going to start keeping jerky and nuts around, especially while I'm in school. That seems to be the hardest, only about 5 min between classes then it's off to the races with teaching (or at least learning how to do it) so I have been back to a shake I drink throughout the day along with my lunch. Just don't seem to have the room for much in the 30 min I get to get there, heat it eat it and get back.

So tomorrow its eggs and cheese for breakfast!!

I promise, I'm going to try to do better on the protein......you guys are just the kick in the ass I need!!!

Just some other milestones I've reached:

No longer MO on my reports, only overweight!
Down from a 4xl shirt to an xl
From a 54 waist to a 38-40
Weight down from a high of 419 in Nov 2014 to a current 229
No more CPAP, apnea totally gone!

I have a question about your apnea
I also have apnea too. I was diagnosed prior to surgery. My script was 11 after my surgery I was waking up with my mouth open so they lowered it to 8. I'm starting to open my mouth again. They say it's a sign of not tolerating the amount of pressure. I have an appointment the end of this month. I would assume it will be lowered again with a sleep study in the next few months.

My BIG question is, how are you sleeping without your machine?

My cpap changed my life and my sleeping. I'm afraid to lose it and my quality sleep that I've gained.

I have a question about your apnea
I also have apnea too. I was diagnosed prior to surgery. My script was 11 after my surgery I was waking up with my mouth open so they lowered it to 8. I'm starting to open my mouth again. They say it's a sign of not tolerating the amount of pressure. I have an appointment the end of this month. I would assume it will be lowered again with a sleep study in the next few months.

My BIG question is, how are you sleeping without your machine?

My cpap changed my life and my sleeping. I'm afraid to lose it and my quality sleep that I've gained.

Hey DS Fan,

Not sure about 11 or 8, unless you mean the machine setting. Mine was a 15, highest they had seen.

I agree, prior to the surgery, I loved my CPAP, even napped with it on, life changer for me (at the time).
Once I had dropped about 90 lbs I decided to see if I still needed it. To my surprise, no more snoring, sleep was perfectly normal, and I didn't have the issues I had before with the high weight and apnea.

I will say I haven't had a new sleep study but my wife tells me I don't snore, or do any of the apnea stuff I did before my machine. I sleep just as good now as I did with the machine.

I don't see any reason to stop if you like using it. I'm sure it doesn't do any harm even if your apnea is gone. Keep in mind, my apnea was from my weight, apnea can be caused by non-weight related issues so if your unsure about using it or stopping it, get a Dr's opinion.

Latest posts

Back