Another road block.

I'm surprised to hear that the U of C doctors won't perform DS on BMI of 40 (particularly with comorbids). Was that information provided response to an email inquiry or did you schedule an appointment and meet with one of their surgeons in person?
Emails and phone calls with one of the nurses. I don't remember the exact details ( its been almost a year since then). I remember that I had went to 2 seminars at that point to find out either they didn't take my insurance or that they really didn't do the DS. By this time I wanted to know for sure that it was worth my time and effort to go to another seminar and talk to the Dr.

Emails and phone calls with one of the nurses. I don't remember the exact details ( its been almost a year since then). I remember that I had went to 2 seminars at that point to find out either they didn't take my insurance or that they really didn't do the DS. By this time I wanted to know for sure that it was worth my time and effort to go to another seminar and talk to the Dr.

We (well...I don't) don't do seminars. They are Sales Pitches, designed to appeal to the majority of the audience...and most of them know only that their friend "had gastric" six months ago and is doing great. But...as we keep saying, most of us had to travel. Nobody likes that, but this is a HUGE DEAL, and you want the BEST surgeon, not the closest.

@jim1969 As a U of C patient, I can say that it is definitely worthwhile to get through to a visit to one of the surgeons, who are very supportive of doing the right procedure for the patient. And they definitely do the DS and do it well.

My pre-op experience (which was certainly not without frustrations, though proved well worth it in the end) left me with the feeling that since U of C doesn't take self-pay patients, the nurses who respond to general inquiries was that they play a bit of a gatekeeper role; trying to rule out patients that insurance may not cover. They are dealing with large numbers of folks and have a form letter / rigid rule approach. The doctors tended to adopt a very individualized and flexible how-can-we-help approach.

My guess is that with a BMI > 40, the likelihood is that you have sleep apnea or another obesity-related comorbidity of which you are unaware. A sleep study, cardiac study or blood test could make you eligible for insurance coverage...

Wishing you the best!

We (well...I don't) don't do seminars. They are Sales Pitches, designed to appeal to the majority of the audience...and most of them know only that their friend "had gastric" six months ago and is doing great. But...as we keep saying, most of us had to travel. Nobody likes that, but this is a HUGE DEAL, and you want the BEST surgeon, not the closest.
They must be feeding me a line of shit about the seminars then. Even The U of M had me do their online seminar before they would schedule my appointment. I know what your saying about the surgeons and appreciate every ones help.

@jim1969 As a U of C patient, I can say that it is definitely worthwhile to get through to a visit to one of the surgeons, who are very supportive of doing the right procedure for the patient. And they definitely do the DS and do it well.

My pre-op experience (which was certainly not without frustrations, though proved well worth it in the end) left me with the feeling that since U of C doesn't take self-pay patients, the nurses who respond to general inquiries was that they play a bit of a gatekeeper role; trying to rule out patients that insurance may not cover. They are dealing with large numbers of folks and have a form letter / rigid rule approach. The doctors tended to adopt a very individualized and flexible how-can-we-help approach.

My guess is that with a BMI > 40, the likelihood is that you have sleep apnea or another obesity-related comorbidity of which you are unaware. A sleep study, cardiac study or blood test could make you eligible for insurance coverage...

Wishing you the best!
I have extreme sleep apnea, I was actually contacted by the U of Madison for a study of sleep apnea and high blood pressure. I wasn't able to be part of their study due to my work schedule. I had told the nurse for U of C that and she told me I would be considered only with extreme diabetes. Thanks for the wishes!

Attending a seminar was required for me...thankfully they DID mention the DS because they were doing it.
Im pretty sure I asked every one of the coordinators before I went to their seminars if they did the DS. None of them were truthful. I think they thought they would convince me to have a different surgery.

Im pretty sure I asked every one of the coordinators before I went to their seminars if they did the DS. None of them were truthful. I think they thought they would convince me to have a different surgery.
The seminars that my surgeon does are done BY one of the surgeons. So that is why I got a listing of all the surgeries they did.

When I had mine, I had three options as dictated by Medicare. (the VSG had not been added at that point). And I had to fight for my DS.

I went to ONE seminar...three surgeons...USC Hospital...Anthone had just left, Stillen (?) was about to leave, cute little Irish dude WAS there (I've met him since then..the one you have to dazzle with why you are a good candidate for the DS...he's a nice guy, but...), but his anti-DS buddy cornered me and told me that I wasn't big enough for the DS. Really? My BMI was in the low 50s somewhere. Then I went to an appointment with yet another one ofthat group and he KEPT trying to sell me the RnY.

I made an appointment with Keshishian. I saw HIM. Then I met with the nurse for "a teaching," we scheduled my surgery and we were done. None of the other bullshit.

That's the same lame crap I went through. I just finally had to be rude to the RNY sales dude, their resident lackey perfecting his sales pitch. Once I was able to get the "real surgeon", he said, "Yup, I agree, you are an excellent candidate for the DS, its the procedure I would recommend for you too". You just have to bulldoze through the BS. Unfortunately, that seems to be the standard protocol. Good luck with it! and stick to your guns.

I went to ONE seminar...three surgeons...USC Hospital...Anthone had just left, Stillen (?) was about to leave, cute little Irish dude WAS there (I've met him since then..the one you have to dazzle with why you are a good candidate for the DS...he's a nice guy, but...), but his anti-DS buddy cornered me and told me that I wasn't big enough for the DS. Really? My BMI was in the low 50s somewhere. Then I went to an appointment with yet another one ofthat group and he KEPT trying to sell me the RnY.

I made an appointment with Keshishian. I saw HIM. Then I met with the nurse for "a teaching," we scheduled my surgery and we were done. None of the other bullshit.
Your lucky then! I had to complete 6 nutrition classes, psych exam, and drop some weight. Now that it has been over a year from my last psych evaluation I need another one.

I think his name was Sillen, and he never resurfaced as a DS surgeon, nor any other kind of bariatric surgeon, to my knowledge. I just tried to google him, and came up with nobody.

Latest posts

Back