Another road block.

jim1969

I guess I can cross of the University of Chicago. They sent me an email saying they would not perform The DS on a patient with a BMI of 40 even with extreme sleep apnea. If I was in the upper 40's with extreme Diabetes they would consider it.
Anyone have Rupp or Kelly out of MN that had a lower BMI?

Supposedly, Dr. Inman out of Carmel, In will do a DS under 50 BMI. Call them. :)
That may a little to far out. Im in northern WI. Its about 4 1/2 hrs to Chicago and about 4 hrs to Minneapolis. I will keep it in mind if I cant find one closer.
Thanks for the suggestion!

If you're going to MN, look at Henry Buchwald, MD, PhDEmail: [email protected]
Sayeed Ikramuddin, MD *
University of Minnesota
Weight Loss Surgery Center
Phillips-Wangensteen Building
First Floor, Clinic 1E
516 Delaware Street SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455
Phone: 612-626-6666
It looks like Dr Buchwald only does the open version not the laparoscopic. Otherwise he sounds very impressive!

It looks like Dr Buchwald only does the open version not the laparoscopic. Otherwise he sounds very impressive!
I would call and check that. My surgeons website (apparently outdated) says they only do open but I asked and they said they do it lap and would only change to open if they ran into scar tissue and had to.

Ok Dr. Buchwald patient here. Great surgeon and does a very good job, after care at the U of M sucks, and after my 1 year I quit going there and do all follow up with my pcp and hematologist. Dr.Ikramuddin and Dr. Leslie both do the DS at the U of M as well and both do it lap. I had Dr. Ikramuddin remove my gall bladder since I did not want to get cracked wide open again to get that yanked out. Feel free to pm me any questions you may have about surgery at the U of M and I will do my best to answer them. Also both Dr.I and Dr.L require some weight loss before surgery where as Dr.B does not require anything before hand.

^^^What she said...I've had both open and lap...the lap was honestly HARDER to recover from since there is trapped gas that has to be expelled...And with open, if there are any issues, it's easier for them to handle.

^^^What she said...I've had both open and lap...the lap was honestly HARDER to recover from since there is trapped gas that has to be expelled...And with open, if there are any issues, it's easier for them to handle.

I can vouch for that. I got 2 for 1 this go!!! I have lap wounds AND an open wound. And for my sleeve a few years ago, I only had lap. I am in sooo much LESS pain this time! They had to open me up as I looked at the complications list and said "I want all of em please!" (not really but thats how it feels!) And my open wound is open OPEN, no staples or stiches....and I'm alive :) It sucks a little feeling compromised but honestly, it took me 8-10 weeks after a lap sleeve to feel anywhere near normal.

Do not let open scare you away. I promise it isn't as horrible as it sounds :)

I can vouch for that. I got 2 for 1 this go!!! I have lap wounds AND an open wound. And for my sleeve a few years ago, I only had lap. I am in sooo much LESS pain this time! They had to open me up as I looked at the complications list and said "I want all of em please!" (not really but thats how it feels!) And my open wound is open OPEN, no staples or stiches....and I'm alive :) It sucks a little feeling compromised but honestly, it took me 8-10 weeks after a lap sleeve to feel anywhere near normal.

Do not let open scare you away. I promise it isn't as horrible as it sounds :)
The only concern I had was hernias. I do a lot of lifting and figured I would have a less chance of that with it done lap.

Hun, I hate to be the bearer of bad news....I got an umbilical hernia after my lap op and I don't lift squat! Besides you will have lifting restrictions after surgery until you are healed up. I'm sure things will get rolling in the right direction for you. Just stick to your guns and do not give up :) You sound tiny (compared to me, lol) so lap should be an option with most surgeons unless things go tits up. :)

Hun, I hate to be the bearer of bad news....I got an umbilical hernia after my lap op and I don't lift squat! Besides you will have lifting restrictions after surgery until you are healed up. I'm sure things will get rolling in the right direction for you. Just stick to your guns and do not give up :) You sound tiny (compared to me, lol) so lap should be an option with most surgeons unless things go tits up. :)
I know it is still possible. At this point if they told me they would have to open me up from my sternum to my but hole I would say ok. LOL!

Latest posts

Back