Another road block.

People travel continents away to have surgery with a surgeon who knows what they are doing and has done so many they could do them in their sleep. Closest isn't always the way to go especially when it comes to life or death. Since there are only a handful of veteran DS Dr the majority of clients travel.

Grammar edit.

My band was lap. The gas was killer and I look like I'd been a duel with someone armed with SOMETHING loaded with birdshot.

My sternum to navel DS is neat, tidy and less visible.

But yes, I had an incisional hernia. Which was repaired in a 20-minute surgery...no biggie.

If your worry is hernias then getting a hernia from an open surgery very well may be better since the odds of it being a big one would be higher and there would be less of an emergency to get it fixed due to bowel getting trapped which is what could happen with lap surgery. Any time you cut through the muscle wall you are going to have a hernia risk be it a 12 inch incision or 5-6 1 inch incisions. My almost hernia got repaired when I had my tummy done and helped get it so that I got an almost fully tummy tuck covered by insurance. Hernias or almost hernias are not all that bad :)

I guess I can cross of the University of Chicago. They sent me an email saying they would not perform The DS on a patient with a BMI of 40 even with extreme sleep apnea. If I was in the upper 40's with extreme Diabetes they would consider it.
Anyone have Rupp or Kelly out of MN that had a lower BMI?

St.Paul surgeons do not do the DS at all, I even went to one of their meetings when I was looking into surgery and they bashed the DS left and right. Rupp did RNY for 3 people I know my mother included. Every last one of them has had weight gain back and well my mother is a hot mess of what will happen if you dont take your vitamins. I also know others who have been jacked up by Rupp and they consider him a butcher. The simple fact that they do not do the DS alone is enough to not go any where near them.

St.Paul surgeons do not do the DS at all, I even went to one of their meetings when I was looking into surgery and they bashed the DS left and right. Rupp did RNY for 3 people I know my mother included. Every last one of them has had weight gain back and well my mother is a hot mess of what will happen if you dont take your vitamins. I also know others who have been jacked up by Rupp and they consider him a butcher. The simple fact that they do not do the DS alone is enough to not go any where near them.
Thanks for the info! I will cross them off my list. I have been looking at Buchwald, Leslie, and Ikramuddin.

I know your comment is old, but I wanted to thank you for giving an honest warning.

And since it cam back on to my radar, Buchwald is retiring, not taking any more new patients.
I was sad when I saw that, I'd read that some time back. I read he's in his 80's though so he's definitely earned the right to retire (or semi retire!) Anyone who dedicates themselves to their career for that long is definitely someone who loves what they do!

He is quite a character. I have no idea what he will do with himself!
I wish I could have met him, before he (semi)retired. I can only imagine the things that could be learned from someone like him if given the opportunity! When I Googled him while looking into surgeons I was amazed with him story; he even has his own Wikipedia page for Pete sake.

At this point Im trying to stay around WI, IL, MN, and possible MI. If that doesn't work out you never know.
If Margaret Inman in Indiana is still in practice, I've heard good things about her. Not as close perhaps as you might like, yet still may be doable.

(Oops! Just noticed the date of the older posts. Perhaps others may be interested in Dr. Inman.)

I'm surprised to hear that the U of C doctors won't perform DS on BMI of 40 (particularly with comorbids). Was that information provided response to an email inquiry or did you schedule an appointment and meet with one of their surgeons in person?

Latest posts

Back