68% ? Really?

I hope more people come out of lurking. Their opinions and comments will enrich the community. The more the merrier!

Last edited:
There is a place you can check so that you show up as a guest to others. I wonder how many have this option checked and are reading and posting?

There is a place you can check so that you show up as a guest to others. I wonder how many have this option checked and are reading and posting?
I think we can look like guests by not signing in. There are things we wouldn't see and, until we did sign in, I think we couldn't post. ???

And G'mornin...

If you are "afraid" of posting here because of the brusque manner of a few of the posters, remember that:

1) It's just the interwebs
2) There is a block function
3) See #1

I have a friend who has been on the internet before there was one - he is the author of "The Internet for Dummies" (as his claim to fame among those who are not in the biz, though I think he's pretty famous in his niche too), and he was been on message groups since the beginning, including running them. When I asked him about a moderation issue once, his response was that the first time he received a complaint, he told the complainer to BLOCK the person whose post they found offensive (he may or may not have also taken action regarding the offender – but that was not the point). The second time he received a complaint from the same whiner about the same offender, he kicked the whiner out of the group for failing to block the offender as ordered. He said that was the ONLY effective way to moderate a group.

I think the mods here should strongly consider that as a moderation tool, at least for certain people or certain types of complaints, and they should post the policy prominently.

(I'm kind of excited - my friend mentioned above is going to be in town next week and is coming over for dinner - we've known each other since our freshman year of college, when he was 17 and I was 18. That was 43 years ago next week. He's being deposed as an expert witness nearby here in Silly Valley, I assume for one of the Amazon/Samsung/Ebay/Google/whatever patent trials. He thinks patents suck - we argue about this all the time on our college listserv - so we're going to drink beer and argue; it will be college all over again, including that I'm going to lose the arguments, even though I know I'm right. But he is one of the smartest people I know, along with his ex roommate, who won the Nobel Prize in Economics a few years ago - and I used to eat dinner with these guys most nights for a year at The Round Table in our dining hall, never fully appreciating just how smart they were - nerdy, yes; truly smart, I wasn't smart enough to appreciate.)
Wish I could be there! Wow another living being who remembers Archie and Veronica. Enjoy!

Wish I could be there! Wow another living being who remembers Archie and Veronica. Enjoy!

And Buffalo Bob and his buddy Howdy Doody? And in LA we had Bill Stulla's Birthday Party (I was on that show), which later morphed into Engineer Bill with Red Light-Green Light milk drinking instructions...I'd better stop.

sometimes I just don't have anything to say

me, too - and yet I post anyway.

tumblr_lwkjt6vssm1qewacoo1_500.jpg

98c.jpg

Latest posts

Back