68% ? Really?

there is a terrible lack of humorous internet photos regarding the need to de-lurk. I only found TWO that I liked even a little. this is a pretty poor show. :angry7:

delurk_cranky.jpg

h60238ADE

I think it's fear, the nail that sticks up, gets hammered.

Maybe it's at least well-intentioned hopefully helpful hammering?

The truly meek are probably not the best candidates for a surgery that requires that the patient occasionally challenge his/her doctors and other health care professionals.

Could we be more gentle? Of course we could...and often should. OTOH, if someone is too meek to hold his/her own in an anonymous situation, what in the world are they going to do when challenging a health care provider's uninformed decision, face to face, is a matter of life or death?

I'm pretty lucky in that most of my doctors are actual humans. And know it. I tell the story of when my hemo wanted to rule out internal bleeding as a cause of my anemia. He decided I should swallow a pill cam and went dashing out the exam room to get a referral form. I also dashed to the door, stuck my head into the hallway and kind of yelled, "Does the pill cam know how to do U-turns?"

He stopped...stood there in the hall for a few seconds...turned around and returned to the room. "I'm the doctor here! I'm supposed to figure this stuff out before you do! Damn!"

That was a non-life threatening deal. But what a waste of time and money THAT experience would have been. (And those things don't always keep moving. My BIL swallowed one they thought had stopped working. It had. And it had also just stopped. They found it during an endoscopy a year later. Just sitting there with the Pill Cam logo proudly displayed.)

Anyway, you do make a good point.

Sometimes, it seems as though some people are so busy patting themselves on the back about their extreme cleverness that they forget there is a real thinking, feeling human on the other side of a post. It is all too easy to be insulting and then block someone for responding in kind. Then there are the ones who feel the need to pick on grammar or posting style even if the responder misread the post or isn't even really commenting on the post. It's arrogance at its finest.

By the way, this is not aimed at any particular person, it is a forum thing. I also would like to go on record as having never been a forum nanny. I still think everyone is responsible for their own actions and entitled to post how and what they want to according to the TOS. I just think if we were a little more tolerant and welcoming, lurkers would come out to play more.

Just my .02.

Forgive my 83rd "why" question on this board, SB - but why wouldn't a pill cam have worked? :)
No reason to apologize.

I'm saying this in language I can handle. The science people may correct this. But, look at the picture, noting the red and green arrows.

DS.jpg

The red arrows show how the food moves...from the stomach to where it hooks up with the other limb. That other limb (the one with the green arrows) is not connected to the stomach...UNLESS you follow it to the end, make a U-turm, and go back up the side that carries the food.

I was kidding by saying it that way, but the camera would not have seen that part of my digestive system and my doctor would not have known whether I was bleeding there or not.

Does that make any sense? (Because if it doesn't, I'm sure I can find something that explains it better.)

That's a great "DS for dummies"-level graphic. Think I'll print that out and take it with me to doc appts once I've had my surgery (being an optimist here).

If you are "afraid" of posting here because of the brusque manner of a few of the posters, remember that:

1) It's just the interwebs
2) There is a block function
3) See #1

I have a friend who has been on the internet before there was one - he is the author of "The Internet for Dummies" (as his claim to fame among those who are not in the biz, though I think he's pretty famous in his niche too), and he was been on message groups since the beginning, including running them. When I asked him about a moderation issue once, his response was that the first time he received a complaint, he told the complainer to BLOCK the person whose post they found offensive (he may or may not have also taken action regarding the offender – but that was not the point). The second time he received a complaint from the same whiner about the same offender, he kicked the whiner out of the group for failing to block the offender as ordered. He said that was the ONLY effective way to moderate a group.

I think the mods here should strongly consider that as a moderation tool, at least for certain people or certain types of complaints, and they should post the policy prominently.

(I'm kind of excited - my friend mentioned above is going to be in town next week and is coming over for dinner - we've known each other since our freshman year of college, when he was 17 and I was 18. That was 43 years ago next week. He's being deposed as an expert witness nearby here in Silly Valley, I assume for one of the Amazon/Samsung/Ebay/Google/whatever patent trials. He thinks patents suck - we argue about this all the time on our college listserv - so we're going to drink beer and argue; it will be college all over again, including that I'm going to lose the arguments, even though I know I'm right. But he is one of the smartest people I know, along with his ex roommate, who won the Nobel Prize in Economics a few years ago - and I used to eat dinner with these guys most nights for a year at The Round Table in our dining hall, never fully appreciating just how smart they were - nerdy, yes; truly smart, I wasn't smart enough to appreciate.)

Latest posts

Back