Workouts?!

Mandy

Hey Everyone .. I feel like I'm chugging along 17 days post op.
I did a 45 min elptical workout on Sunday and today I'm back at work for the first day and so exhausted I can't do anything. When did everyone else start working out again? For some reason makes me feel like a failure or not going to lose weight.
I'm re buying adek vitamins since I bought a multi from bariatric advantage so might be a reason I'm exhausted all the time.

Remember your little lap incisions heal fast but your guts inside take much longer to heal. Take it easy! I wasn;t even supposed to do any serious exercise for a month.

However I walked... a lot. I was up to my pre-op 4 miles by about 6 weeks. The exhaustion is pretty intense the first month. It's surgery related and happens to all of us. Probably not vitamin related at this point. I'd take my walk and then sit inert in a chair for 2 hours.

I'd just concentrate on healing up and adjusting to your changed body. Adding more stress by excercising is probably unwise at this stage. As someone else mentioned, the external incision lines heal much faster than your internals. Why risk a serious complication? Rest, focus on fluid intake, etc. you will lose weight just fine. I'm really happy you feel good, but your body is depleted.

I wasn't released by my surgeon for anything but walking. I really don't think you are supposed to be doing the elliptical machine at 2 weeks post op. I'm amazed your surgeon let you go back to work. Just because you look healed doesn't mean you are. Mostly we heal from the outside to the inside. You could be doing all kind of damage. SLOW DOWN

Last edited:
Joining the chorus here - please slow down! Focus on healing and your return to work. Walking is best for now. Plenty of time to work out later.

The only thing you should be doing right now is walking. And BTW BA products and the packaged ADEK's are pretty useless. Take what you have but then you need to get real vites.

Thanks for the advice everyone. It's noted and slowing down. :) I'll go to walking for a few weeks.

The only thing you should be doing right now is walking. And BTW BA products and the packaged ADEK's are pretty useless. Take what you have but then you need to get real vites.
That was my plan.. I spent the money so taking them but once they are done getting New stuff, thank you.

I started exercising fairly early out, with the encouragement of my surgeon. (I was also back to work just after 2 weeks...everyone here is different.) I was told to focus on strength exercises to keep my muscle mass. Luckily I would happily lift weights all day if it meant not having to jog for five minutes! I now do two one-hour strength focused PT sessions each week. I'm hoping this helps me keep the muscles under all this fat when it eventually melts away!

I started exercising fairly early out, with the encouragement of my surgeon. (I was also back to work just after 2 weeks...everyone here is different.) I was told to focus on strength exercises to keep my muscle mass. Luckily I would happily lift weights all day if it meant not having to jog for five minutes! I now do two one-hour strength focused PT sessions each week. I'm hoping this helps me keep the muscles under all this fat when it eventually melts away!
Did your surgeon not give you a weight limit to not exceed for 6 weeks? I was told nothing heavier than a gallon of milk. So yeah, if your weights weigh less than that, ok...but BE careful. You only have one chance to heal from this surgery.

@southerlady, after 4 or 6 weeks (I forget which), I was clear to lift whatever. But I also walked a good 10 blocks of 5th Avenue the week after thinking that's what they meant by 'get in some walking'. My trainer and I have known each other for a long time, though, and we were both very conscious of easing me into the routine.

after 4 or 6 weeks (I forget which), I was clear to lift whatever.
After 6 weeks I was also cleared...but having gone thru many surgeries, I knew to ease into it.

Yeah, walking early on usually means up and down the hall to a bathroom or around the dining room table. Takes a couple of weeks to regain some uummph.

Latest posts

Back