Why I Think I Feel so Good so Quickly? Part II

robs477

Now an Angel in heaven
I am not exactly for sure what happened and why I feel so good so quickly after surgery, but, I do have some compelling theories.

First off, the actual surgery and post-op pain: I have always heard that the surgeon and his skills makes a HUGE difference regarding post-operative pain, swelling and recovery. If the surgeon is rough and ruthless, there is more bruising and more pain swelling etc. Dr. Erik Wilson is a very highly skilled and sought after surgeon, so his experience and expertise is certainly a major component. The 2nd being the Da’ Vinci Robot. It is stated in numerous scientific journals that recovery time and post-operative pain is reduced because of the robot. It minimizes excess movement of those long laparoscopic probes/tools and compensates for any erratic movement. Think about it, in a regular laparoscopic procedure, those tools are over a foot long. Because of the basic points of fulcrum, or the pivot points, ¼ inch of movement by the surgeon is actually amplified and transversed to 1 inch or more of movement at the actual surgery sight. This is a huge factor. They are essentially doing surgery on you with 3-4 levers in you. The robot also does this compensation and adjusts accordingly. It is absolutely incredible that technology has come to this and so cool it gives me a woody…lol!

OK, so, let’s just say that explains the minimal post-operative pain. What about everything else?

We had many times before discussed how there are instant chemical and neuro-hormonal changes in the body right after WLS due to the reduction of ghrelin, leptins, peptins, including the reduction of both fasting and meal-stimulated ghrelin production and increased glucagon like peptide-1 and peptide-YY interactions as well as a host of other bio-logical chemicals and hormones not yet fully identified or understood. As you know, these same neuro-hormonal chemical changes are believed to be the same ones that instantly reverse diabetes etc, as they stop the insulin resistivity on the cellular level almost immediately. I think my metabolism had become so crashed over the years and was SO bad off, that this same neuro-hormonal chemical component instantly “re-set” or re-booted me on the cellular level and those instant chemical changes OVER compensated for a lot of those other normal post-surgical trauma’s normally experienced by people with more normal metabolisms, thus allowing for my minimized perceptions. In essence, my cells started talking to each other again and working on that proper cellular level again and for the first time in many, many years, I felt alive. As said, I feel 20 Goddamn years younger and have been full of energy since!!

To summarize, I think I feel the benefit the most because I was so bad off. From my very first postings on this site, I told you guys how I could NOT eat over 800-1000 calories a day without gaining weight and my body and back pain was really bad . My “metabolism” had ceased to function. My cells were not talking to each other and giving the send/receive signals needed to do many of my major bodily functions. Again, I think it’s the same or similar related Bio-chemical mechanism responsible for the cellular resistivity absorption issues that occurs with diabetes which is known to be reversed after most WLS, again, my cells are all back happy, endorphins being turned on, everybody’s talking and happy.

Essentially what I am saying is, you can have two exact cars with the same engine in it but in one of the cars, the engine is barely running and will hardly start and run. You do the same exact engine re-build on both cars, they both get the same exact benefit, BUT the car that had the worst engine that was broken down the most has the highest percentage of improvement because it was in the worst condition. In other words, even though both cars got the same re-build the car in the worst condition benefited the most from it. That same relative perception of improvement is what I think has happened here to me. Whatever it is, I’ll take it!!!!!! And I’m pretty for sure it’s here to stay! Thxs for reading and I hope this BOOK helps somebody someday! Rob

Last edited:
wow, no idea if this makes any sense but sounds good - and isn't if fun that your brain is humming along coming up with ideas right & left?

wow, no idea if this makes any sense but sounds good - and isn't if fun that your brain is humming along coming up with ideas right & left?

Thxs Jackie, and BTW, I do attribute most of those initial bio-chemical changes to the VSG portion of the surgery.

You do seem to be enjoying a happy bio-chemical influx, whatever it might be. I also had to stay below 1000 calories to not gain weight pre-DS, suffered from chronic pain, and used an experienced surgeon who operated laprascopically with a Da Vinci robot, but had a pretty typical hit-by-a-Mack-truck recovery. For our sample of n=2, I can't detect any trends... Nonetheless, I am delighted for you!!!!

I am not exactly for sure what happened and why I feel so good so quickly after surgery, but, I do have some compelling theories.

First off, the actual surgery and post-op pain: I have always heard that the surgeon and his skills makes a HUGE difference regarding post-operative pain, swelling and recovery. If the surgeon is rough and ruthless, there is more bruising and more pain swelling etc. Dr. Erik Wilson is a very highly skilled and sought after surgeon, so his experience and expertise is certainly a major component. The 2nd being the Da’ Vinci Robot. It is stated in numerous scientific journals that recovery time and post-operative pain is reduced because of the robot. It minimizes excess movement of those long laparoscopic probes/tools and compensates for any erratic movement. Think about it, those tools are over a foot long. Because of the basic points of fulcrum, or the pivot points, ¼ inch of movement by the surgeon is actually amplified and transversed to 1 inch or more of movement at the actual surgery sight. This is a huge factor. They are essentially doing surgery on you with 3-4 levers in you. The robot also does this compensation and adjusts accordingly. It is absolutely incredible that technology has come to this and so cool it gives me a woody…lol!

OK, so, let’s just say that explains the minimal post-operative pain. What about everything else?

We had many times before discussed how there are instant chemical and neuro-hormonal changes in the body right after WLS due to the reduction of ghrelin, leptins, peptins, including the reduction of both fasting and meal-stimulated ghrelin production and increased glucagon like peptide-1 and peptide-YY interactions as well as a host of other bio-logical chemicals and hormones not yet fully identified or understood. As you know, these same neuro-hormonal chemical changes are believed to be the same ones that instantly reverse diabetes etc, as they stop the insulin resistivity on the cellular level almost immediately. I think my metabolism had become so crashed over the years and was SO bad off, that this same neuro-hormonal chemical component instantly “re-set” or re-booted me on the cellular level and those instant chemical changes OVER compensated for a lot of those other normal post-surgical trauma’s normally experienced by people with more normal metabolisms, thus allowing for my minimized perceptions. In essence, my cells started talking to each other again and working on that proper cellular level again and for the first time in many, many years, I felt alive. As said, I feel 20 Goddamn years younger and have been full of energy since!!

To summarize, I think I feel the benefit the most because I was so bad off. From my very first postings on this site, I told you guys how I could NOT eat over 800-1000 calories a day without gaining weight and my body and back pain was really bad . My “metabolism” had ceased to function. My cells were not talking to each other and giving the send/receive signals needed to do many of my major bodily functions. Again, I think it’s the same or similar related Bio-chemical mechanism responsible for the cellular resistivity absorption issues that occurs with diabetes which is known to be reversed after most WLS, again, my cells are all back happy, endorphins being turned on, everybody’s talking and happy.

Essentially what I am saying is, you can have two exact cars with the same engine in it but in one of the cars, the engine is barely running and will hardly start and run. You do the same exact engine re-build on both cars, they both get the same exact benefit, BUT the car that had the worst engine that was broken down the most has the highest percentage of improvement because it was in the worst condition. In other words, even though both cars got the same re-build the car in the worst condition benefited the most from it. That same relative perception of improvement is what I think has happened here to me. Whatever it is, I’ll take it!!!!!! And I’m pretty for sure it’s here to stay! Thxs for reading and I hope this BOOK helps somebody someday! Rob
My views differ - and you know if I disagree, I have to say so!

"Because of the basic points of fulcrum, or the pivot points, ¼ inch of movement by the surgeon is actually amplified and transversed to 1 inch or more of movement at the actual surgery sight."
I think you have this backwards - I believe the robot reduces the surgeon's gross movements to smaller more precise ones.

I think the reasons you are doing so well reflect:
- good preop nutritional and physical preparation, despite the weight loss requirement
- the release/letting go of months of stress over whether you would get and survive surgery
- great good fortune/luck - Karma decided to cut you some slack

But you very well may also be reaping the benefits of the instantaneous improvement in metabolic function.

My views differ - and you know if I disagree, I have to say so!

"Because of the basic points of fulcrum, or the pivot points, ¼ inch of movement by the surgeon is actually amplified and transversed to 1 inch or more of movement at the actual surgery sight."
I think you have this backwards - I believe the robot reduces the surgeon's gross movements to smaller more precise ones.

That is what I was saying, maybe my wording was off, but yes, the robot compensates for that and the surgeon never touches those tools.

You do seem to be enjoying a happy bio-chemical influx, whatever it might be. I also had to stay below 1000 calories to not gain weight pre-DS, suffered from chronic pain, and used an experienced surgeon who operated laprascopically with a Da Vinci robot, but had a pretty typical hit-by-a-Mack-truck recovery. For our sample of n=2, I can't detect any trends... Nonetheless, I am delighted for you!!!!

Thxs Hil, another good data point!

That is what I was saying, maybe my wording was off, but yes, the robot compensates for that and the surgeon never touches those tools.

Yes, I went back and re-read it and you were correct Diana, I should have prefaced the explanation by saying..." in a regular laparoscopic procedure".....etc, which I did just do an edit on, thxs

First off, the actual surgery and post-op pain: I have always heard that the surgeon and his skills makes a HUGE difference regarding post-operative pain, swelling and recovery. If the surgeon is rough and ruthless, there is more bruising and more pain swelling etc. Dr. Erik Wilson is a very highly skilled and sought after surgeon, so his experience and expertise is certainly a major component. The 2nd being the Da’ Vinci Robot. It is stated in numerous scientific journals that recovery time and post-operative pain is reduced because of the robot. It minimizes excess movement of those long laparoscopic probes/tools and compensates for any erratic movement. Think about it, in a regular laparoscopic procedure, those tools are over a foot long. Because of the basic points of fulcrum, or the pivot points, ¼ inch of movement by the surgeon is actually amplified and transversed to 1 inch or more of movement at the actual surgery sight. This is a huge factor. They are essentially doing surgery on you with 3-4 levers in you. The robot also does this compensation and adjusts accordingly. It is absolutely incredible that technology has come to this and so cool it gives me a woody…lol!

" It is absolutely incredible that technology has come to this and so cool it gives me a woody…lol!"

So, glad to hear that we still have, as our goal, keeping our eyes on the prize!!

That is great news. And it's not all the stomach. There are many barely understood and unacknowledged intestinal hormones too. I hope you continue to feel great!

Other than wondering what the hell I've done to myself, I can't say I've given post op much thought. Lol.

Don't overthink it, Rob. Just enjoy it!!!! I felt prepared. I did my research. I followed the docs orders and the Mack truck (as Hilary so perfectly described it :)) still hit me. :(

I will say for unexplained reasons I've had less headaches post op and my plantars fasciitis resolved immediately. I worry they'll come back but for now I'm happy to have them gone!

Other than wondering what the hell I've done to myself, I can't say I've given post op much thought. Lol.

Don't overthink it, Rob. Just enjoy it!!!! I felt prepared. I did my research. I followed the docs orders and the Mack truck (as Hilary so perfectly described it :)) still hit me. :(

I will say for unexplained reasons I've had less headaches post op and my plantars fasciitis resolved immediately. I worry they'll come back but for now I'm happy to have them gone!

I'm so glad to hear you are getting better! Sounds like you've turned the corner and on your way up, that makes me happy, happy ;)

That is great news. And it's not all the stomach. There are many barely understood and unacknowledged intestinal hormones too. I hope you continue to feel great!

Thxs Munchkin...You're right, its not ALL the VSG, but IMO, I think the DS part has more to do with just the pure math of it all. Reason I say that is all those diabetes related (nuero-chemical) things are reversed with just the VSG by itself also. Yes, sometimes thats temporary to 18 months and its debatable why it comes back, but yes, I do also think there are some (nuero-chemical) benefits from the switch, but too many unknowns yet...BTW...I thought for sure you'd say something about the MF? though it is too early to tell yet..lol

Latest posts

Back