Why have I never roasted cauliflower w. mayo before?

Jo777

Aug 2017
It's great!

I've used all sort of oils and spices.. but had been googling more things to do with Cauli and found a whole roast cauli head using mayo as the base fat.. I riffed off it, used cut up florets from a head, several large spoons of mayo messily mixed with my hands to get it in all the spots, fresh ground pepper, some garlic powder, and a heavy pile of the parm from the green can to make a "crust."

Laid it all on a baking sheet and into a 500* oven till brown and crispy, about 25mins-30. Perfect! So much tastier than just tossing with oil & spices. Served with a rib-eye, and oven roasted corn on the cob (unshucked, right into same temp oven for 40 mins- next time, it will be closer to an hour.. I wanted a bit of carmelization..)

So yeah, great dinner.. hot kitchen.

i buy the bags of precut cauliflower florets from Costco, toss with garlic olive oil and Tajin, and roast the hell out of it in a hot oven too. I used to dislike cauliflower - boiled or steamed was the only way it was served to me when I was a kid. Now I'm in love with it.

I plan to try it with Romanesco too - fractal broccoli that tastes somewhere between broccoli and cauliflower.
330px-Fractal_Broccoli.jpg

I grew up with canned veggies, and frozen overcooked ones, hardly anything fresh, ever.. Ugh, still can't forget the ick-factor of cheap canned asparagus, slimy and metallic.

Never liked cauli till I started roasting it, same for Brussel's sprouts.. but using mayo & grated hard cheese=yum.

Roasted broccoli is just completely awesome too, but I don't think the mayo would work on that one, you want the tips crispy.

I am doing this!

Another option, my DIL fixed roasted broccoli with a shallot/garlic/parmesan/lemon juice & zest/salt and pepper sauce poured over before serving, delish!!!

It's great!

I've used all sort of oils and spices.. but had been googling more things to do with Cauli and found a whole roast cauli head using mayo as the base fat.. I riffed off it, used cut up florets from a head, several large spoons of mayo messily mixed with my hands to get it in all the spots, fresh ground pepper, some garlic powder, and a heavy pile of the parm from the green can to make a "crust."

Laid it all on a baking sheet and into a 500* oven till brown and crispy, about 25mins-30. Perfect! So much tastier than just tossing with oil & spices. Served with a rib-eye, and oven roasted corn on the cob (unshucked, right into same temp oven for 40 mins- next time, it will be closer to an hour.. I wanted a bit of carmelization..)

So yeah, great dinner.. hot kitchen.
This sounds good want to make sure I understand. You take a head 8f cauliflower and cut it up into small pieces (raw). Than you put a bunch of mayo on it and garlic and pepper. Than you add grated parmesisn cheese which sticks to the mayo and you bake it in a 500 degree oven for 30 min..

This sounds delicious. I love cauliflower, but have had trouble with it since the surgery. I will try it again in a few weeks because it is one of my favorites, and I can't imagine never eating it again.

I grew up in the country on a farm with a big garden so we had fresh veggies all the time (we ate what we grew most of the time) and I can barely stomach canned veggies. Fresh cauliflower was always a favorite of mine.

My aunt's recipe:

Break the cauliflower apart into bite sized pieces, brush the pieces with melted butter, salt and pepper to taste. Roast at 450 for 15 minutes, remove the pan, toss cauliflower, brush with MORE butter, bake for another 10 minutes, toss the cauliflower, sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese and bake for five to ten more minutes. She served it with more butter for dipping.

This sounds good want to make sure I understand. You take a head 8f cauliflower and cut it up into small pieces (raw). Than you put a bunch of mayo on it and garlic and pepper. Than you add grated parmesisn cheese which sticks to the mayo and you bake it in a 500 degree oven for 30 min..

Yep- break up a head into florets, cutting the bigger ones into a bit smaller, and instead of tossing with oil, salt, pepper & spices, you toss with plenty of mayo so it's well coated, then add spices of your choosing.. On this one I wanted to try to get a "crust" like what was on the recipe I'm linking below- so I used pepper, garlic powder & the Kraft parm (a lot) from the green can (works best imo for "crusts".. the only reason I have it around, fresh grated wouldn't have stuck as well..) Then into a 500* oven till browned well.

I will try this one at some point, sounds interesting.. but didn't have time to cook it that long- this is where I got the idea for using mayo-
http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/rest...g-combo-of-cauliflower-and-mayonnaise-6546534

There's also this, which sounds great spice-wise, and I always have GY on hand:
http://www.purewow.com/entry_detail/recipe/8821/Forget-florets--roast-the-whole-damn-cauliflower.htm

The only thing is, I like having that crust on every little piece.. not just the outside :)

This sounds delicious. I love cauliflower, but have had trouble with it since the surgery. I will try it again in a few weeks because it is one of my favorites, and I can't imagine never eating it again.

I can no longer eat it raw, always used to- and I like it as a carrier for dips far better than any other veggie.. but more than a couple pieces and I can be in pain for a while- even well chewed. Carrots got me one time at work, but they normally don't.. cauli- gut pains and gas.. weird.

I am the same way, cauliflower, celery, and broccoli = gut pain followed by terrible, terrible gas. Carrots are my go to dip delivery implement now. Those cause me no problems at all.

Latest posts

Back