Why a tiny sleeve isn't good and why re-sleeving can be a bad idea.

DSRIGGS

Yes, that is chocolate covered bacon
Interesting blog from Dr K on potential sleeve issues.

https://www.dssurgery.com/stricture/

Stricture after Sleeve Gastrectomy Duodenal Switch
Posted On : May 01, 2016
According to the American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery sleeve gastrectomy has become the most commonly performed operations in 2012. Sleeve gastrectomy became popular because of the high failure rate of the adjustable gastric banding and the issues with RNY pouch. The Sleeve Gastrectomy was performed many years prior to 2012 as a part of the Duodenal Switch procedure. Stricture is a complication occurring post Sleeve Gastrectomy and Duodenal Switch.

Screen-Shot-2015-08-26-at-7.51.43-PM-224x300.png

Sleeve Gastrectomy with stricture
Stricture:
Sleeve gastrectomy may appear to be a simple procedure under the surface, however, it is fraught with very unique and challenging complications. These may include, but are not limited to, staple line failure resulting in leak, injury to the spleen, stricture, and even a rare and under diagnosed portal vein thrombosis. Technique is important in avoiding short and long term complications. Strictures can be caused by making the sleeve stomach too narrow or by stapling in a fashion where the corkscrew stomach.

Screen-Shot-2015-08-26-at-7.48.10-PM-249x300.png

X-ray of stricture in a Sleeve Gastrectomy with outline of what a sleeve should look like
Some surgeons create a very narrow sleeved stomach in an attempt to maximize weight loss by increasing restriction. This can result in significant GERD in patient with no long-term benefit. Re-sleeving is another incidence were strictures can become an issue. These strictures are debilitating and almost all the time require surgical intervention. Balloon dilation by an endoscopy method is frequently unsuccessful. The patient who has a stricture should seek the attention of an experienced revision surgeon for surgical repair. Strictures are usually a short narrow segment of the stomach. The reason why sleeve gastrectomy strictures do not respond well to balloon dilatation is because of the staples line that is present on one side of the tube of the stomach that cannot be stretched.

An increasingly more complicated problem is when the stricture is caused by a spiraling of the staple line. This is quite frequently seen where the stapling of the stomach was started on the greater curvature of the stomach and rotated anteriorly causing a corkscrew effect of the stomach. A long segment stricture of the stomach cannot be corrected by balloon angioplasty and would require surgical intervention.

Sleeve Gastrectomy Specimen
I have been involved with numerous repairs of strictures on sleeve gastrectomies and Duodenal Switch stomach from other institutions. In my opinion, repeated endoscopy and balloon dilatation only complicate further care by compromising the tenuous tissue of a strictured stomach due to scaring and blood supply. As above-stated earlier it is critical that a patient who is experiencing significant reflux, changes in nausea and vomiting, suspected stricture or narrowing, or has a corkscrew stomach to be seen by an experienced surgeon for surgical repair. See the followingBlog for health issues that can occur or progress with strictures.

Sleeve Gastrectomy specimen picture.

Last edited:
Scott it looks like pre dried out jerky to me but I can see what you are seeing also
hahaha. I see that to but you us dudes are kind of infatuated with our units so naturally I saw a dog dick with the pointy end! :p

Yea And Coming from a female who has been celibate forever I probably forgot what one looks like.

@DSRIGGS you're too much!:lmao:
hahahaha! I am a married old dude so I know all about celibacy!!!!! (Good God I hope my wife never logs on and sees this post).

I have a male and female dog and Mr Maverick's lil fellar tends to pop out every now and then so I see that thing way more often that I care too!

Gorgeous! Just gorgeous!

Me personally if I ever trip over a billion bucks I would want the whole thing done over. I swear my CC is a lot longer than 75! It just adds up, crappy weight loss, crappy maintenance, and NO deficiencies ever!

@Munchkin I'm sure you have explained this before and I never caught it. Why don't you have it looked at to see or affirm that is what you actually have or why not a revision? I remember you saying something about why you haven't but don't remember why.
:seniormrebel:

@Munchkin that sucks. If they found out the surgery failed then could you get it done? It obviously appears the doctor failed to do something right. 75 is considered a small cc isn't it? I know mines is 50.

@Charris I wish! The surgeon is since retired. Actually he was one of the tops in his field but there was something kinder and gentler about his DS and more of his patients than just me are still fat! And the hospital where it was done is 2500 miles away! And don't forget that 50% EWL is considered a 'success'...even if you are still fat!

I had to wait 2 years for a surgery date too. If I had it to do over again, I would have flown to Spain and had Baltasar do it. Probably would have waited a month and been skinny today!

Latest posts

Back