Where to post this...hmmm

Spiky Bugger

Yo! southernlady !

My question about your Charles‘ kidney stones issue could go in so many different forums, I couldn’t choose. So it’s here:

His kidney stone surgery was over two weeks ago? [For those fortunate enough to NOT have to deal with kidney stones, they are addressed in (I think) four/five different ways. In order of invasiveness, they are: diet; diet and medication; smashing them with ultrasound waves; going in “the long way“ and smashing them in the kidney and dragging them out with teeny construction tools; or going in “the short way“…via an incision in the back and into the kidney and removing them that way. Charles just went through the last, most invasive, way.]

Last I could find was that he was home, recovering, but needing pain meds. How is he doing now?

Last edited:
He’s doing great. Got the stent out and was released yesterday. His surgeon told me it will at least a month after surgery to find out what kind it was.

we did find out, he’s allergic to the adhesive on tegrederm. He’s also allergic tokeflex. Had a hell of a rash for about a week. This is the man who use to be able to say “no known allergies”. Well, he found some. I told him to stop trying to mimic me!

smashing them with ultrasound waves; going in “the long way“ and smashing them in the kidney and dragging them out with teeny construction tools; or going in “the short way“…via an incision in the back and into the kidney and removing them that way. Charles just went through the last, most invasive, way.]
Given its size, only the last three options were even mentioned. Smashing them had a very low chance of getting it all out. Going in the long way was a major issue for him given his history of urethra issues. So the short way was the only one that made complete sense for him. But, OTOH, the surgeon worked for his fee from Medicare.

He’s doing great. Got the stent out and was released yesterday. His surgeon told me it will at least a month after surgery to find out what kind it was.

we did find out, he’s allergic to the adhesive on tegrederm. He’s also allergic tokeflex. Had a hell of a rash for about a week. This is the man who use to be able to say “no known allergies”. Well, he found some. I told him to stop trying to mimic me!

Too many health care professionals think that all they have to do is use paper tape. So conversations go like this:
Me: I’m allergic to the adhesives on taoe.
Them: That’s okay; wevhave paper tape.
Me: Will it stick to the my skin?
Them: Of course, it’s tape. But it’s paper.
Me: Then I’m allergic to it.

About 50 years ago, my mom had a SMALL surgery, little cyst-y things in her left breast. All went well and she was discharged. Until she had to be READMITTED because of red, raw, oozing, boob uckies. My sister is also allergic to it.

I have a photo around here somewhere...

Are we going to be treated to photos of Spiky Bugger breasts? Are they spiky? This could be interesting.

btw, I am also allergic to paper tape, though I haven't had as bad a reaction as Spiky claims (I want to see evidence!). Also allergic to Medipore tape. But I'm fiine with the cheap plastic stuff, and even with paper tape it seems to vary by which brand it is.

Yikes, I'm on team "adhesive allergies" as well. Hope he's had some benadryl! Glad it went well and hope it's smooth sailing from here!

I feel for him. Whenever I have surgery I makes sure they know I'm allergic to steri-strips, latex and betadine used in conjunction. The contact dermatitis that results is worse than the surgery. He's lucky that he now knows its tegaderm. With me they don't know exactly what it is so they try different combinations of steri-strips and non-latex and non-betadine.

Important note from personal experience: In some cases, even when adhesive allergies are noted on paperwork, tape and strips are avoided, but staff still end up applying dermabond / surgical glue to incisions. So, if you are allergic to surgical glue, make sure to mention directly to the surgeon on the day of any procedure.

Latest posts

Back