Where do I start?

jerseygirl69

I have thought about WLS for well over a decade. Each time I put it off to try something else. Last attempt to me was a starting weight of 335 (I'm 5'6) and hiring a trainer. For 3 years I ate low carb and worked out 6 days a week, 2 hours a day. I got down to 259 for a nanosecond. Then I got injured and 3 years later I gained all that weight back and then some.

Today I'm in the 390s. I have to do something. I can't walk well, I'm out of breath, I've developed undiagnosed GERD, I deal with painful swelling, I'm beyond depressed. I'm a far cry from training to do a triathlon as I was 3 years ago.

I'll restart on low carb (for the umpteenth time, because I keep falling off the wagon). But I'm not mid-40s and the weight IMHO is beyond dangerous.

I'm overwhelmed thinking about the DS. I lean toward this because of my size, my family history of T2D, and likelihood of successful weight loss. But I don't know how to get the ball rolling. (Or I'm a big fat chicken because I'm still wishing I could do it just by eating LC and I'm afraid of going to the doctor because I haven't in 3 years (I spent a year with doctors after my injury and never healed properly, so my trust in the profession is minimal right now).

I'm asking for guidance, please. I just got insurance (after being laid off for a few months). I'm in NJ. How should I research this? How do I get the ball rolling? And how do you finally pull the trigger? It's such a huge decision....

For 3 years I ate low carb and worked out 6 days a week, 2 hours a day.

OMG, that is a lot of work!!

sounds like it's time to do it - if it's scary, but not doing it is even scarier. people here will help you any way possible.

welcome, you are in the right place!

31.gif

Yes it was a lot of work. I would get up at 330/4am, get to the gym at 5, work out then go to my job. I was driven to lose it by today? I can't imagine that schedule again. And it was a lit if work not to see goal

Howdy and welcome. I live in NJ and would be happy to meet with you in person sometime to talk more about your options. Where do you live?

Can we recommend DSfacts.com on this site? I found that a wealth of info after 15 years of considering WLS and being scared to death of it. I only wish I had not waited so long! Coming up on 4 years out with the DS, and I really now know, I was NEVER going to do it on my own. I was too metabolically diseased. I believe anyone who becomes MO is already there.

Hi, @jerseygirl69

My name is Vanessa, 30 years old and I just had my DS a week ago.

My highest weight was 240lbs (I'm 5'1"). I've done every diet you can think of. I would excel...but then something would always happen to cause me to fall off the wagon...and my weight would creep back up and then some. Yo-yo dieting is utter hell on your body. Plus, I had genetics against me. My mom had a successful RNY (gastric bypass) nine years ago...and she looks great...but she's a slave to the gym. She has to be, because she loves carbs too much to give them up. I, myself, did not want to settle for the RNY and be a slave to the gym like my mom, or risk putting all the weight back on in the future. I knew I couldn't do this on my own anymore. I was fighting a losing battle and things were only getting worse. I had to take control of my life back because I was miserable.

About two years ago I made the decision. I knew I wanted WLS, but I didn't know what kind. I logged onto the WLS ProBoard about a year and a half ago. I don't know how it started, but I began reading about the DS. I had NEVER heard of it before. The statistics were fascinating: The highest percentage of people who had the DS, who lost the weight and it never came back. It was billed as "The Gold Standard of Weight Loss Surgery". I also read that you don't have to change your eating habits to drastically...your diet is basically a modified Paleo diet...all the steak, chicken, shrimp, beef, fish you can handle...and you can have cheese and eggs?! Plus high fat is encouraged?! I mean the DS diet sounded like a dream to me. So what's the cost? I can't eat bread left and right like I did before? No more embarrassing myself on dates because the minute the waiter puts the bread basket down, I devour it in 16 seconds? I was obsessed with carbs and sugar. I had no control over myself with those and obviously that was not helping my obesity situation. I refused then and there to have food retain that kind of obsessive power over me. So fine. I will gladly give up carbs and sugar, in favor of this new protein-rich lifestyle that I would be in control of.

The more I read off DSFacts.com, the more I was convinced this was the surgery for me. I also joined a FB group of people either entertaining the idea of having the DS, scheduled for the DS or have had the DS. I noticed something interesting. A lot of people on the page were introducing themselves as having had a "revision to the DS from a gastric sleeve" or the RNY or the lap band...again this solidified the DS for me in my mind. I decided that if I met all the qualifications for the DS, if a vetted surgeon thinks I'm a great candidate for the DS, then I'm going to do this. Because you know what? I refuse to have WLS twice. If I'm doing this, I want the best surgery for weight loss, with the best statistics and the highest success rate for little to no re-gain. It was a no- brainer for me.

Then I faced a year of insurance hurdles. My insurance did not cover the DS. By its standards, my lower BMI didn't qualify for it. That wasn't ok with me. I knew there had to be a way to fight this. And there was. Through the ProBoard...I put a post out into the oblivion...stating where I was from, what insurance I had and could anyone help me figure out how to fight for my DS. I was contacted almost immediately by two "DS Angels"...who, wanting no payment, other than the promise of me one day paying it forward for someone else in need of guidance, helped me take on an insurance giant. And we won! It was a long fight. But I didn't give up. I was stubborn and I knew what I wanted. I grew so much during the process, I was taught how to be my own health advocate and stand up for what I believe I deserved. That struggle alone made my DS that much more valuable to me.

Was it hard to get here? Yes. Do I have any regrets now that it's been a week after my surgery? None. Will I have to stick to the rule of 100+ grams of protein need to enter my body EVERYDAY? Absolutely. That's not negotiable. Neither is your life-long commitment to taking your supplements and tracking your blood labs. It's not a choice. You can't deviate from that. You have to do it.

Would I trade following those rules and my inevitable healthy BMI for being morbidly obese for the rest of my statistically-shortened life ( let's be honest here, my own genetics dictated it. No matter what I did on my own, I was never going to have the will-power to stay healthy)? Risk the chance of not being able to conceive, due to my obesity? To have to cycle though relationship after relationship because as heavy as I was, I would much rather stay in and sit on the couch, rest, watch TV and let the world pass me by...as the guys I dated became frustrated because I didn't hike or bike or take walks in the fresh air. I'd have to settle for someone that was ok with my sedentary lifestyle...find an enabler who enjoyed eating pizza as much as I did and didn't get bored of sitting around.

That's not a life I wanted. I want to be a mother more than anything in the world. I want to train for a half marathon. I want to travel to amazing foreign countries. I want to be happy. I want to be healthy. It's that simple.

The blood, sweat and tears it took to get here...I've wiped them away. I'm on the other side now. I will always have to work to stay healthy. But it will be a much fairer fight now. I'm thankful for my second chance at the life I always knew I deserved.

So that's my story. Whatever you choose to do, make sure it's a decision you can accept responsibility for. Do as much research as you can. You should feel 110% comfortable with the path you chose. Good luck to you!

Last edited:
...I have thought about WLS for well over a decade. Each time I put it off to try something else. Last attempt to me was a starting weight of 335 (I'm 5'6) and hiring a trainer. For 3 years I ate low carb and worked out 6 days a week, 2 hours a day...
That sounds exhausting.

Since you live in NJ, I can recommend NYC surgeons. My suggestion is to go to the seminars they offer. They will discuss the types of WLS they offer. I did this almost 10 years ago & that's where I first learned about the DS.

Here are a couple:

Lenox Hill Hospital
Weill Cornell Hospital
Mt. Sinai Hospital

any NJ surgeons with good reviews? If I go out of state, I think I'd have to save for OOP because of network. My ins already is a 6 month wait, once I get (if I do) the ball rolling....

Jerseygirl, welcome!

You're health is failing fast. Your quality of live sucks. You have tried very, very hard to resolve this situation without surgery, and yet, here you are. There is no way you could have done more, and it only gets tougher as you get older. The physical difficulty of carrying around the extra weight only gets worse also, as the wear and tear on your joints and organs continues. So my questions for you is this: what on earth are you afraid of??? You should be afraid, very afraid, of what the future holds for you if you DON'T have surgery.
I don't mean to belittle the risks of the surgery. They are real. But both surgery and anesthesia for the MO have become much safer over the past 10 - 20 years because there are so many MO people having surgery of all kinds. You should be concerned about maintaining your nutritional health also, but really, if you are willing to eat protein and take vitamins, you should do fine.
Before I had my DS 8 years ago, I viewed having it as being like climbing over a high solid wall. You can't see what's on the other side, and you don't know if you'll land on your feet or in a ditch. But you DO know what your future is if you just keep walking along on the side of the wall where you are now.
Dr. Greenbaum has an excellent reputation. You are fortunate to have such a good DS surgeon so close at hand, not everyone does. So take an honest look at where your life is going and do what you need to do.

Latest posts

Back