What's the deal with saturated fat?

trace

I've been trying to read more about what the long-term diet is like post-DS, and I keep seeing that saturated fats are a no-no. Do they have a particularly bad effect on your system? More so than, say, olive oil? Or are there other reasons?

Also, does the surgeon give you a recommended level of fat to eat each day? I've seen the protein requirements, and it sounds like many people stay under 50g of carbs?

Sounds like VSG or Gastric Bypass diet advice. I eat a ton of saturated fat. I don't sit down with a tub of butter and dig in like it's ice cream but I also don't even attempt to count the fat grams I eat. There's just no need after a DS unless you're having really loose bowels. If that's happening I can see lowering your total fat intake, not just saturated fat.

If you have the DS, fat is your friend. Eat it, saturated or not. And you will have low cholesterol anyway! Eat full fat everything and dump all those low fat frankenfood products.

Yes....carbs are the enemy.

Last edited:
@trace I wish I could stay under 50G of carbs... I aim for 100 but usually get over that. Just looked at MFP and my average over the last week is 165 - last week was 95. but, I'm happy and content where I am now.

as for fat - avg this week is 244... last week was 94.. so big spread there! I ain't afraid of the fat.

They are not evil but all fats are not created equal. I have some oil that I take as a nutritional supplement. It is a MCFA. Medium chain fatty acid. Dr Keshishian my revision surgeon has a blog on it on his site but we absorb those very easily as compared to other fats that slide on through and out.

BTW Dssurgery.com is his site and there is a,wealth of knowledge on the site including diagrams and descriptions of all WLS procedures. He is an absolute genius and the most incredible Dr I have ever met. His level of care, surgical skill, concern for patients (all not just his)and follow up is out of this world and like nobody you haver met or ever will meet. If I called his personal cell number he would answer and talk as long as I needed. He and I have traded hundreds of emails the last two years. I live in the Peoria, IL area and he in Glendale, CA (LA).

I would suggest going to his site and checking out the information on there. You can even find a picture of my guts because he found a big mesenteric defect when doing my revision so he used that picture and discussed blockages and hernias in his next blog.

Latest posts

Back