What made you pick RNY over DS?

Yes, there are a lot more RNY patients out there, but that also means that there are statistics regarding their long term results that cover large numbers of patients, which helps to tell the full story of long term RNY results. The usual figure provided for "success" after bariatric surgery is losing and keeping off 50% of your excess weight. Personally, I would not have been satisfied with such a mediocre result, but that's the figure used in the bariatric surgery world. And even with that low bar for success, the usual rate quoted for failure of RNY is 30%. So, just 70% of RNY patients manage to keep off 50% of their excess weight.

Now, how many of those "successful" patients fall into the category of losing between 50% - 60% of their excess weight? I don't know, I haven't seen any studies providing that figure, but my guess is that it's another significant group. Again, losing 60% of my excess weight would not have been what I would consider success, but these people are counted as successful.

I don't minimize GERD, but believe that you have your priorities misplaced. The goal of bariatric surgery is permanent weight loss and resolution of comorbidities. GERD is just one comorbidity, it's the only one where RNY has better statistics, and it's far easier to treat than such comorbidities as type 2 diabetes, sleep apnea, heart disease, etc, all of which have greater rates for permanent resolution/improvement with the DS.

You all are doing a very fine job in persuading me to push for the DS, and given the choice all things being equal, I would definitely choose that surgery. I should have a better idea of what my options are next week, and I'll update then, hopefully Wednesday.

Thanks everyone for your guidance!

I worked in an office full of fat women back when WLS became really popular in the early 2000's. 10 of us had surgery. 1 band, never lost anything. 1 DS, me. And 8 RNY. 7 of the RNY people gained back more than they ever lost. 1 of the RNY people is relatively normal and I am too. So out of 10 people, 2 were successful long term.

RNY with 50-150 cm of bypass (proximal to median) no longer has any significant MACRONUTRIENT (protein, fat, carb) malabsorption after 1-2 years. Same for SADI/SIPS/LoopDS. They still have micronutrient malabsorption however.

DSers maintain significant macronutrient malabsorption for good.

RNY with 50-150 cm of bypass (proximal to median) no longer has any significant MACRONUTRIENT (protein, fat, carb) malabsorption after 1-2 years. Same for SADI/SIPS/LoopDS. They still have micronutrient malabsorption however.

DSers maintain significant macronutrient malabsorption for good.

I'll take a few pills in the morning and get bloodwork once a year if it keeps me thin and healthy. As my Dad said, the DS is a miracle. It saved my life

I should say, 'Thin will never happen, unless I get sick - I like to think of my extra padding, which is not affecting my current health, as insurance against an illness that might make it difficult for me to eat and maintain my weight."

holy crap, I mean think of that. :thumbsdown:

so reading Diana's post 49 - why the HECK would you want the Rny? makes no sense.

Well, about to get on the soap box. I think people who choose the RNY over the DS ignore the data and the science. Either they never got the right research or they get sold a bill of goods by their doctors.

The data is so strong. The DS works. The others, at most work 50% of the time.

And we haven't even talked about NSAIDs. We can take them safely (in proper doses) with the DS. With gastric bypass, they are contraindicated for the rest of your life. NSAIDs are among the most commonly prescribed medications, and also used in OTC forms by millions of people. Even if you don't need them today, you may in the future. It's a big deal.

And then there’s not drinking with a meal for RNYers or 30 before 30 after. I don’t drink big amounts but it’s nice to when I want to! I like having a fully functioning stomach with Pyloric valve that lets food out when it’s time and nit have a pouch with a stoma that can get so large your food just falls on through leaving you feeling hungry.

I almost didn’t reply, started too a few times, but got the feeling RemingtonH already has his mind made up to go with the path of least resistance and get what is close and easy, and oh my, it’s already scheduled!! But, I relented and here I am writing. I just hate the thought of anyone getting an RNy when there’s better. The gerd thing is not a deal breaker. I took the PPI at first, and needed it, but after a couple or three months got off it with no problem. I would even say if you are dead set against DS to consider sleeve portion only. I don’t like eating low cal low carb low fat all my life but maybe you do.

Please consider this very carefully,

Susan

I would be hating life if I couldn't drink with my meals. My mouth is always dry and I don't like the experience of "dry eating." It's hard to swallow so many foods without some added moisture. That was one of my biggies (along with chewing food to mush) that told me - ASIDE from the living on a diet part, which was already a non-starter for me - that I couldn't maintain the requirements of the RNY (or lapband - sleeve as a standalone wasn't an option when I had my DS, but I wouldn't have chosen it anyway, because I would have known it wouldn't work for me).

But - the biggest factor for me was the long-term results, the scientific logic of how it works (for the OP - I have a PhD in molecular biology/biochemistry) and how much HAPPIER DSers sounded. Bacon is health food! Drink with your meals! Salad dressing and mayo are to be used freely! And even the bad for you food can be timed for occasional enjoyment!

I've decided that I'm going to get the DS even if I have to pay for it upfront (if I have to.) Hopefully the practice hasn't sent the paperwork off to the insurance company yet. We're getting close to the 7/30 surgery date. I'll be contacting the office Monday morning.

I've decided that I'm going to get the DS even if I have to pay for it upfront (if I have to.) Hopefully the practice hasn't sent the paperwork off to the insurance company yet. We're getting close to the 7/30 surgery date. I'll be contacting the office Monday morning.
It can be resubmitted with the DS code.

Latest posts

Back