what do you like about this board?

& I love that EVERYONE that I want to stay in contact with (for various reasons, all important to me) are HERE.. in one space, and it's a place I can come and vent, share, learn and be entertained etc... without some crazy bitches *bad crazy, not good crazy censoring without some sort of communal fluff-up..

I like that the community retains all the rights. What I mean is this: On Facebook, once you post, facebook owns your stuff and can do anything they want with it. Will they? Probably not but they could... and they could delete your account. Similar drawback with services like ProBoards (not the WLS board specifically, I'm talking about the corporate level of ProBoards), they can delete the whole board and the 'owner' of the board doesn't actually, fully 'own' anything. I know two people whose boards were taken off the Web and that was it, archives pretty much gone.

OK, that's a long intro to what I like best here. It's safe. Not run via a service so can't be taken down by a service. Also, no one person has the final say. This place is run by committee which creates less risk (and slower decision making but that's an OK trade off IMO). I think of this place as a Co-Op. Everybody gives. Everybody takes. Everybody benefits. Love it!

I like how I can watch threads I am interested in and get alerts when new posts are made to them. Even more so I like how I am automatically taken to my unread posts in a thread and how there is a dot by the threads that have posts that I have not read. Great job Southernlady, Love it.
Thanks, I was JUST savvy enough to see the writing on the wall at vBulletin and jumped ship back in 2010 to a NEW kid on the forum software block.

I'm still learning my way around, but I don't seem to be able to STAY logged in. What am I doing wrong?

I'm still learning my way around, but I don't seem to be able to STAY logged in. What am I doing wrong?
When you log in...do you check Stay logged in or Remember me (can't remember which one it is) That is not automatically checked yes by default.

someone like Liz will be along to help, but I suggest you just STAY here - don't leave. :D

seriously, Ms Batt, nice to see you

ha! and she was posting as I was.

Ms Batt - I think you will like it, just takes a little practice. I am NOT techy but I am finding it pretty easy...

What I like? The easy format, and mostly the people. You all are a huge wealth of knowledge and very supportive. I am in other groups and have posted and they make me feel like an idiot sometimes for asking questions or offer very unhelpful advice like "Google it." Really? I get so annoyed when people post that. I am not an idiot, I know how to type into google, I am posting because I want others experience and knowledge...maybe even *gasp* some support and to know others have been there too. This group has been awesome with all of that.

-The layout /interface are very clean and sleek. It's super user-friendly. It looks much more contemporary than PB, which really is such an ancient eyesore in terms of its format. OH is just so cluttered. It makes my eyes want to pop out and impale themselves upon a fork.

-I am pleased and relieved that my ability to alter my own posts won't be limited here arbitrarily.

-Some of the most knowledge members in online WLS circles are on here, including some who had stopped posting over on PB. Since my DS pre-op journey is less than a year old and am generally really bad at online forum networking, PB used to be the only WLS site I was on (signed up on OH but almost never posted..max 2-3 posts nearly a year back..can't even remember my username lol), and now this wonderful new place gives me more resources to work with and a MUCH more close-knitted community.

-I am sure this board is no less fact-centric than any other, but it just seems so much friendlier despite the different posting and interaction styles. It seems very welcoming.

-I like that the board is managed by a committee, which constitutes reasonable and knowledgeable people . I find that they are here more to help and foster a sense of community as well as promote the board as a source of credible information, than to pull off an ego trip. In my my totally not humble opinion, anyone who is unwilling to share power (or deliberately shares it with someone undeserving) in managing a forum or any other social grouping is an unreliable leader. This applies IRL, as well. Life lesson #202 lol.

Last edited:
I love the way this place just feels very comfortable. I'm still not so good at posting pics, but that probably has more to do with the way photobucket is now and using it on a mac.

Latest posts

Back