VSG vs DS for me?

Welcome! So glad to see another Washingtonian here! Dr. Srikanth was my surgeon and I adore the man and hope that you get a chance to meet with him. I watched both my parents struggle with hip pain leading to both hips being replaced so I can empathize with that pain. And I definitely understand the wish to be NORMAL. While I do not have children of my own, I have small children in my life, and would do anything so that they don't grow up feeling like I did...a large hippo in a family of svelte gazelles. The supplements really aren't that big of a deal and if the trade off is that my nieces and nephews get to hang out with me and run around with me instead of me watching while they do it? Totally worth it.

So great to hear this about Dr. Srikanth! I'm feeling really lucky that he has an office so close. I wonder if I'll hear back from them today?

And, yes, my kids are 9, 7, and 4. I still have a lot of running around I should be doing! Thanks so much for sharing. (And if you have any more about your experience in Dr. Srikanth's office posted, please let me know!)

Thanks for the additional information, @DianaCox. I love that there are so many veterans here who are willing to take time to help curious newbies like me. Thanks, again.

I had the DS 3 years ago in 13 days. I have had a rough time if you have seen any of my posts but I would never have any other WLS than the DS even with my struggles. My issue was a bad DS procedure where the surgeon made my alimentary limb too short which caused severe malnutrition because I wasn't absorbing anywhere near what I should have. A year ago Dr Keshishian, the best DS surgeon in the world, fixed that for me. BTW he makes patients who he can't convince to get the DS instead of a sleeve, sign a paper stating basically that he told them the sleeve will ultimately end up being the first step of the ds when you come back in two years because you didn't lose the weight you wanted and your diabetes comes back. The data just simply shows the VSG doesn't work like the DS and regain is very cimmon. The other part is if you like to eat and not starve yourself like the sleeve requires the DS is the only answer. I eat close to 4,000 calories a day and I am 6'2 and weighed 175 this morning.....I need to gain 20 pounds but it is very hard for me to gain.

Anyway best of luck and please do yourself a favor and get the DS. You will not regret it.

Thanks for your response! So happy to hear you were able to get everything, well, sorted out!

And, yes, I definitely love to eat! I was just telling my husband that last night -- food used to be an emotional thing for me. I suffered through many, many bouts of starving/binging/purging. I don't do that anymore; I just really like great-tasting food. And because of my hip, I'm pretty immobile.

Is your experience with calories eaten per day and amount of weight lost typical for this procedure? I need to do some more research on what my expectations should be for how much and what I will actually be able to eat long-term post-op.

@Marquis Mark you are as much entitled to your own opinion and to posting your personal experience as anyone else. My only comment will be that you were very, very fortunate to be with Kaiser in SoCal and not Norcal, because there is no way in hell that NorCal Kaiser would have paid for your revision. @DianaCox and I have fought this fight many, many times. Even if your medical situation had warranted it, they would not have sprung for it. They would have told you your failure to lose enough weight (or to keep it off, depending on the individual) was entirely due to your noncompliance, regardless or the truth of such a position, or lack thereof. You were also fortunate that SoCal Kaiser even had an excellent surgeon to do the revision for you. Not the case in NorCal, by their choice.
And it's not just Kaiser. It is exponentially harder for many people to get coverage for any kind of revision. Of course it shouldn't be that way, and if someone, for whatever reason, wanted to try to succeed with just a sleeve that should be an option. But far too many people find themselves with a failed sleeve (or lap band) and no way to get a revision.

Thanks for your response! So happy to hear you were able to get everything, well, sorted out!

And, yes, I definitely love to eat! I was just telling my husband that last night -- food used to be an emotional thing for me. I suffered through many, many bouts of starving/binging/purging. I don't do that anymore; I just really like great-tasting food. And because of my hip, I'm pretty immobile.

Is your experience with calories eaten per day and amount of weight lost typical for this procedure? I need to do some more research on what my expectations should be for how much and what I will actually be able to eat long-term post-op.
http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/ds-math-being-short-long-term-weight-loss-thoughts.4470/

Any procedure that is restriction only is just a diet. You can paint it up and put lipstick on it but it's a diet. Long term success is based on extreme dieting. How have those diets worked for you? Almost all of us have lost and regained hundreds of pounds in our lifetimes and we can tell you diets won't work long term.

The DS is your best option. There is nothing available today that works better. Period. And the supplements are no big deal. Just like Diana I take them twice a day. It just becomes automatic. BTW, you can start preparing yourself now by making it a new habit to take a multi, calcium, and D every day.

On to the THR. There is a doc at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester MN who specializes in THR on "people of size". And he has great results. I know this because I just spent a couple weeks taking care of one of his patients. Seriously, being told to lay in bed and starve is BS. If there is no doctor capable of doing your THR, your insurance should be willing for you to go see a doc who CAN do the procedure. Or you should be checking on docs in your area capable of doing the same thing.

Any procedure that is restriction only is just a diet. You can paint it up and put lipstick on it but it's a diet. Long term success is based on extreme dieting. How have those diets worked for you? Almost all of us have lost and regained hundreds of pounds in our lifetimes and we can tell you diets won't work long term.

The DS is your best option. There is nothing available today that works better. Period. And the supplements are no big deal. Just like Diana I take them twice a day. It just becomes automatic. BTW, you can start preparing yourself now by making it a new habit to take a multi, calcium, and D every day.

On to the THR. There is a doc at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester MN who specializes in THR on "people of size". And he has great results. I know this because I just spent a couple weeks taking care of one of his patients. Seriously, being told to lay in bed and starve is BS. If there is no doctor capable of doing your THR, your insurance should be willing for you to go see a doc who CAN do the procedure. Or you should be checking on docs in your area capable of doing the same thing.

Thanks for the rec. I have called and called in this area, and the best I've been told is a BMI of 40 or below. I'm scheduled to see that practice in early October.

No, diets haven't worked for me. Well, at the time, I always think they're working (the 125+ pounds I lost in 2010 comes to mind), but then I inexplicably start gaining. Okay, nothing inexplicable about it -- I stop restricting, and I start gaining!

i'm going to chime in here and say - Yes -
if you are like most folks before WLS you are sick to death of diets - follow what you are most comfortable with. Somedays that may mean eating whatever the hell you please. for me, I tried the low carb high protein approach but was not strict strict with it.

in your heart of hearts, you know what feels right to you.

i'm going to chime in here and say - Yes -
if you are like most folks before WLS you are sick to death of diets - follow what you are most comfortable with. Somedays that may mean eating whatever the hell you please. for me, I tried the low carb high protein approach but was not strict strict with it.

in your heart of hearts, you know what feels right to you.

Thank you!! In my heart of hearts, I just eat real food. Some occasional goodies. I'd love to give myself the permission to just friggin' eat up until surgery. Not "Last Supper" style, just eating great meals. Being the dieting veteran that I am, I read lots of Geneen Roth (and similar authors) back in the day, and I'll never forget someone asking in one book, "If you could move to a planet where, no matter what you ate or how much you ate, you would never gain weight, then would you still overeat?"

Many days, the answer for me is no. Sometimes, sure, whatever I'm eating just tastes too good to stop. But the dieting mentality has really done a number on my head, and I find that lots of times, my drive to keep eating is a result of my fear of future deprivation.

Thanks for the rec. I have called and called in this area, and the best I've been told is a BMI of 40 or below. I'm scheduled to see that practice in early October.

No, diets haven't worked for me. Well, at the time, I always think they're working (the 125+ pounds I lost in 2010 comes to mind), but then I inexplicably start gaining. Okay, nothing inexplicable about it -- I stop restricting, and I start gaining!
Got the name of the doc at Mayo for you. Kevin Perry. Call! Maybe they can at least recommend a doc in your area.

Thank you!! In my heart of hearts, I just eat real food. Some occasional goodies. I'd love to give myself the permission to just friggin' eat up until surgery. Not "Last Supper" style, just eating great meals.
I was right on the edge of not qualifying for surgery AT ALL. My surgeon NORMALLY has a 2 week diet for those under a 50 BMI and 4 weeks for those 50 and over. He told me NOT TO GO on any diet, not to lose any weight.

Well, I ate whatever I wanted up until the day before surgery. I had to go NPO at midnight that night. Hell, I ate candy (esp Twizzlers which I adore) and Pasta and all sorts of other things. I had more than one "last supper" that month while waiting for my surgery date to arrive. And most of it wasn't good for me but I wanted it anyway knowing that after the DS, the chances were really good all those things would be rare treats cause I was aware that what I consumed after the DS would affect my gas/farts. What I DIDN'T know was I would become lactose intolerant immediately AND STAY that way. If I had known, I would have had lots of milkshakes, ice cream, MILK....

And in spite of all I ate, I STILL lost 3 lbs during that time frame.

I was right on the edge of not qualifying for surgery AT ALL. My surgeon NORMALLY has a 2 week diet for those under a 50 BMI and 4 weeks for those 50 and over. He told me NOT TO GO on any diet, not to lose any weight.

Well, I ate whatever I wanted up until the day before surgery. I had to go NPO at midnight that night. Hell, I ate candy (esp Twizzlers which I adore) and Pasta and all sorts of other things. I had more than one "last supper" that month while waiting for my surgery date to arrive. And most of it wasn't good for me but I wanted it anyway knowing that after the DS, the chances were really good all those things would be rare treats cause I was aware that what I consumed after the DS would affect my gas/farts. What I DIDN'T know was I would become lactose intolerant immediately AND STAY that way. If I had known, I would have had lots of milkshakes, ice cream, MILK....

And in spite of all I ate, I STILL lost 3 lbs during that time frame.

If you are basically giving me the green light to eat ice cream to my heart's content for the next 6 months, you just became my favorite person in the history of ever. :)

Hi Trace,

I'd like to clarify because ultimately what matters here is YOU.

During my six years with the sleeve the only vitamins I needed to take were B-12 and a multi. My lab tests were once a year and there were no major differences between my pre-surgery results and post surgery ones. I attribute that to the fact that my digestive/absorptive process was not really altered except for the fact that with a reduced stomach you don't make much intrinsic factor which is why we take B12.

I also assume that's why I had no constipation, or other such issues. The surgery /recovery was a piece of cake. After the DS I felt pretty crappy for a couple of months.

Now, with the DS, I have about 30 different labs tested every three months. Hence my comment about insurance. That WILL reduce to once or twice a year after I stabilize. I take vitamins about 9 times a day in an effort to isolate my issues which, as a result of the DS, are abnormal PTH, copper, D, calcium and iron. I also expect this to get easier as time goes on and hopefully I will only have to take them a couple of times a day like many of the vets. In addition to my 15 or so supplements I have to take stool softeners and Miralax daily, as well as being conscious to eat plenty of fat (I've never been a butter guy, more of sugar dude so that has taken some getting used to). I said PT job because I have had to literally spend hundreds of hours researching. Virtually everyone at the beginning does. Again, with time and experience, this will be second nature. I should have said PT job for the first year.

While I am happy with my DS I would be lying if I didn't say that I wish the sleeve had solved my problem. The simplicity of it is soothing for me. However, as other have commented (and I can attest) you are highly unlikely to get the weight loss you will with a DS. And, you will still be on a diet. You will have some help, but you will still have to put in a hard day's work. However, like the DS, you will be able to eat a normal diet.

Everybody can give you anecdotes. But I think the best stats point to 50% EWL over several years. Would you be OK at 220? Would you be OK having to remain vigilant about your diet? If so, the sleeve may be OK for you. If not, the DS will probably leave you happier. Are you a volume eater or a grazer? I'm a grazer and I think that's one of the reasons I didn't do well with the sleeve. If you eat every hour the sleeve will not help you.

Diana's comments about getting the DS all at once are valid, although in my case I seem to be losing at a typical rate. Larra's comments about insurance are also valid. Due to my wit and charm, Kaiser has given me no issues with revisions, tests, or infusions. I'm now thinking I'd like a tummy tuck (that will be the ultimate test of whether I can work the Kaiser system to my advantage!) Anyway, Larra, Diana, Southern Lady, Munchkin, Scott and many others are some of the most knowledgeable people on the internet about the DS and they are always willing to answer questions so you have a tremendous resources on this board.

In general, DS people are the best informed about WLS. They have to be to have found the surgery and do the follow up required.

Finally, and this is what sold me on the DS, few people revise out of the DS, but many people revise into it. Also, DS people are generally happier than with other surgeries. To me, that's a very valuable piece of data. I am also happy with my DS.

You seem bright. I have every confidence you will reach the right conclusion for you.

I wish you the best. And remember: you're not alone.

Mark

If you are basically giving me the green light to eat ice cream to my heart's content for the next 6 months, you just became my favorite person in the history of ever. :)
My hubby did not become lactose intolerant but many of us do for at least a few months. Many do not stay lactose intolerant the rest of their life.

Latest posts

Back