VSG to DS: Untimely Filing - ARE YOU KIDDING ME????

The wedding pic of the parents and bride and groom was unexpectedly flattering to me - certainly nothing like what I see in my 5X mirror while plucking my eyebrows or on whitehead patrol. And I must have tilted my head just right - there's normally jowls and dark circles under my eyes. So I had to snag it!

I see a few following this post, so I wanted to provide an update. My insurance company FINALLY paid me back for the hospital portion of my bill, but because my provider (surgeon's office) never filed that portion of my claim on time, I had to take further action. That was $10,692, and everyone refused to refund my money despite the fact that I won my appeal back in June. I sent the attached letter to the surgeon's office almost a month ago (after taking the advice given in this e-mail thread). I feel like this has brought out a side of me that I didn't even know existed! Before this, I believed that the medical field was honest and had my best interests. I thought they actually fought the insurance companies with me and that they were fair. I was wrong. I had to fight every single step, battle after battle. And unfortunately my provider's office and the associated (supposedly prestigious) Duke Health system have given me the most grief, outrage, and tears. But I am happy to report that I just got notice today that Duke Health will finally reimburse me and finally admitted fault in not filing my claim in time.

As promised, once I finally get these refunds (and pay back all of the family that loaned me this money!), I will make a donation to this site. What a gift we have here - excellent information on the surgery, post-op expectations, labs, vitamins, and even insurance and provider help!

Attachments

• Letter to Duke Billing - Untimely Filing-NOW LEGAL.pdf
    393.8 KB · Views: 14
The wedding pic of the parents and bride and groom was unexpectedly flattering to me - certainly nothing like what I see in my 5X mirror while plucking my eyebrows or on whitehead patrol. And I must have tilted my head just right - there's normally jowls and dark circles under my eyes. So I had to snag it!
Yes those magnifying mirrors (and full length ones for that matter!) are the devil! But for sure, your profile pic is just beautiful!

Good on you!! You should NEVER have been treated this way, starting with your $&@?%# insurance company’s fraudulent initial denial. But you fought for your rights all the way through and you WON!

Just think how many people they treated this way and who rolled over and gave up. I hope you caused them more trouble and expense than they made from your surgery.

Good on you!! You should NEVER have been treated this way, starting with your $&@?%# insurance company’s fraudulent initial denial. But you fought for your rights all the way through and you WON!

Just think how many people they treated this way and who rolled over and gave up. I hope you caused them more trouble and expense than they made from your surgery.
I almost gave up several times. I think they count on that! Shame on them. Yes, I am not a fan of BCBS or Duke Health system, at all! This was all handled so very poorly. I am grateful that you all never gave up on me pushing through!

Congratulations on your success, and on never giving up. @DianaCox is right, many people don't even know that they can fight denials, or just can't continue the fight month after month, and the insurers are counting on that. Great job!

Way to go! I'd like to think it's incompetence rather than willful neglect, but after fighting billing more than once I'm not so sure. I agree that they hope you'll give up.

Great to hear the update! I chose to be a lurky follower on this, because while having my own issues with insurance and providers, I had zero information that would have been useful to you, but figured you should know you have others rooting for you even if we have nothing to add (well, other than commiserating / ranting, which isn't what you needed). I had a small legal victory today as well, so am going to raise a glass of vinsanto to celebrate, and will have a glass in your honor as well.

Great to hear the update! I chose to be a lurky follower on this, because while having my own issues with insurance and providers, I had zero information that would have been useful to you, but figured you should know you have others rooting for you even if we have nothing to add (well, other than commiserating / ranting, which isn't what you needed). I had a small legal victory today as well, so am going to raise a glass of vinsanto to celebrate, and will have a glass in your honor as well.
I'm often a "lurky follower" on this site! Congrats on your victory - I know how hard they can be to achieve. Thanks for drinking one for me ;)

Latest posts

Back